New Steinberg UR22mkII revealed

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Guillermo Navarrete, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Guillermo Navarrete

Guillermo Navarrete Kapellmeister

Hello all,

[​IMG]

We are proud to introduce a new iteration of the very popular UR22 audio MIDI interface: the UR22mkII boasts all its previous features plus the newly implemented class-compliant mode for iPad connectivity, the Loopback live streaming function as well as the Light Edition of our award-winning Cubasis app for iPad.

Key features:

• 192 kHz/24-bit USB 2.0 audio interface
    • 2 Class-A D-PRE mic preamps supporting +48 V phantom power
    • 2 combo inputs (Hi-Z switch on input 2), 2 TRS outputs and headphones jack with independent level control
    • iPad-ready with CC mode and additional USB micro socket for power source connection, fully USB-powered for Mac and PC
    • Zero-latency hardware monitoring with Mix balance control
    • MIDI input and output
    • Rugged full-metal housing
    • Loopback function for streaming performances live to the Internet
    • Includes Cubase AI DAW software download version for Mac and PC and Cubasis LE DAW app for iOS
    • Cross-platform compatibility for Windows, OS X and iPad (with Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning to USB Camera Adapter)

Read more >

Best regards,
    GN

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

And still no Mono switch? Really?

4. recycle

recycle Guest

I always had 2 problems with this interface (previous release):
    • low level headphone volume
    • with condenser mics and heavy loads: red peaks in input, even with input knob at minimum level
    with the new release I hope they fixed this issues

5. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

It's cool to release new products, but,
    It's sad that apple gets all this attention and time from developers.

Apple fans may think what they want, but I find it really sad EVERYBODY must follow the 'leader', apple, with regular updates because of the new mac/ios versions are always changing.

A new Apple device, Os, or new standard(or rather, a proprietary device-system)?
    There they are, all the companies and devs in the world, working their asses off, to release stuff on time.
    Meanwhile, apple don't give a f*kk about the rest of the world who don't own one of their devices nor has iTunes or QuickTime installed on their system.
    Where is the Logic version for Windows? Yeah, we all know, we, windows users, we stink... !

you are a windows user? You go to apple website to watch the videos about the Iwatch? You don't have QuickTime on your computer? Then, go fuck yourselves, because they have encoded their videos with the .mov format/container, they absolutely don't give a f*k about the standards, like html5 (they hated Flash because they didn't want to depend on someone like adobe/Macromedia, and lied saying flash wasn't stable, fast, etc etc, bla bla ), you're left alone without being able to watch the videos... unless you join the horde and start eating some fresh grass, too.

all this to say everybody work hard to make their stuff compatible, fully working, and bring new devices compatible with the IOs world, etc, and apple, they couldn't care less about anything or anybody. It's up to all the others to follow apple, and not apple to adapt to the others.

example, I see Waldorf releasing new synths for IOS... like Neve. Yeah, great to know you allocate resources to the IOs world... but I, we, are still waiting for our Largo 64bits version, for... 2 years? . Of course, if they put all their staff on IOs, there is nobody left to work on windows.

Tomorrow, if they decide to release Audio Units V2, in 3 weeks, the entire planet will not sleep during 21 days, just to be able to please 'God'.

We, windows clients and people, and all the devs and companies out there, we don't owe Apple nothing that deserves such level of devotion, hard work, and worship.

do they even think 2 seconds 'ohhh, poor little PC guys, let's give them a little Logic PC version' ? No, it's rather 'go die, PC users, if you don't buy a MacBook pro or the latest iPad, you can go play the doctors, with Lexington Steel'.

sure, making a cubasis 1.9 for iPad is so fantastic... but I'd love if steinberg devoted more time to Cubase pro 8: Cubase should be the supreme leader, with steinberg ainventing new stuff and new standards, like the vst ... but... pro tools gave a huge middle finger, with the aax. .. audio units should be the only format compatible with Logic pro XI, I am ready to bet my copy if Cubase that Apple is going to ditch the vst format from the next logic version, only to bury down the vst standard a little more.
    how many years more, to have a Cubase version fully scalable, like FL STUDIO? 2017 ? 2018 ?
    Damn, Steinberg, we're almost 2016, we have 5GHz processors and tons of ram... and I have to use a magnifying glass just to be able to find and click on the 2-pixel big presets arrows, on a 2560x1440 monitor. I don't even dare imagining the unhappy clients with 4k monitors... those previous/next preset arrow MUST look like 1pixel big.

tell us, Steinberg, why don't you let people vote for, say, the top 100 most needed features on Cubase, and you make a quickstarter -like campaign, so we can quickly gather some nice million euros, so you can hire and put your best coders working on those features ASAP?

Damn, it's time for innovation. Embrace the Internet v2, embrace quickstarter and its millions backers you would have, in just the first 2 or 3 days. IF YOUR financial resources AREN'T unlimited, why don't you let your Cubase fans like myself contribute and quickly find millions and millions of euros, via croudfonding? There is no shame to have by doing that: that's perfectly normal, today. Together, we are STRONGER.

sorry to high jack the thread, but this is the huge Cubase fan in me talking.

Come on, mister Guillermo, talk about this croudfonding stuff, to your managers, and watch the power of Internet making a Cubase daw 5 times better. The idea may look stupid, but once you start it, just watch the competion do the same... which will prove the idea was indeed good.

oups, a last-minute edit:
    my apologies, dear apple fans. i tend to forget that nothing bad can be said about apple. logic 5 ran on PC until apple decided to make it mac-only. because that's the way apple works: they stop all the windows compatibility, to force people into buying macs.
    worse than the sony-xbox fanboyism, the apple fanboys are the most incredible people in the world. even i run out of words to describe them.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. statik

statik Audiosexual

hate to burst your bubble but waldorf isnt giving apple priority, waldorf attack and nave havent been updated to ios 9 yet even tho it's been out for months, they are working on other stuff it seems.
    logic? well yeah it's osx only, just like there are plenty of programs that are just for windows, hence why apple made it possible to run windows on their systems. it's quite simple, PC isnt their market.

7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Ive had a UR28M for a few years now.. not a single complaint.. reliable, low latency, as advertised..and beats the pants off my Ex Saffire Pro 24 DSP. (Never again)

..for what its worth.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

not picking any bones... but what really are the advantages of that in practice? :dunno:

I know you can choose stereo or mono when you set the input in Reaper ...
    so I must be missing something here.

this is a great interface generally, and there are ways of adjusting to the input gain issues,
    simply one turning down your guitar volume knob, but I agree they should have addressed
    this with the new version

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  9. Guillermo Navarrete

Hello,

We don't consider that for a TWO input interface it is really a necessity... Compared to all the other audio interfaces on its same level and price range, the UR22mkII is the most reach feature wise, and as mentioned by Herr Durr you can set up your VST connections in any DAW control panel.

Best regards,
    GN

10. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

The reason its useful is if you are recording just a mic for the purposes of broadcasting or for game recording, and the option to record mono isnt provided in the software. Granted solutions have recently popped out (voicemeeter) but it gave me a lot of headache before voicemeeter came out when trying to use an 2 input audio interface to record mono. I would actually take preference in the ability to having a mono switch for that reason, and im sure many other people who stream (im thinking of twitch) would like to have this kind of feature, because that userbase has been expanding over recent years in popularity, and some people may prefer using a simple solution rather then a hacky one.

11. Guillermo Navarrete

Hello,

But still a Mono switch will not do that... most recording softwares allow you to simple create a mono bus, and then you don't have to change it unless you want to record a stereo instrument (E.g. a keyboard). A mono switch like the one the CI2 used to have, allows analog input jacks 1 and 2 to be used either as separate mono channels or as a stereo pair. When the button is on, analog input jacks 1 and 2 function as independent mono channels feeding both the L and R LINE OUT jacks. It is used to monitor the sound of the microphone or guitar connected to the analog input jack 1 in the center of the monitor speakers. When the button is off, analog input jack 1 and 2 function as a stereo pair: the analog input jack 1 signal feeds the L LINE OUT jack and the analog input jack 2 signal feeds the R LINE OUT jack. Switching this button on/off does not affect the signal sent to the computer.

Still, can you point me to a interface in the same price range as the UR22mkII that has such functionality?

Best regards,
    GN

12. statik

statik Audiosexual

we would need to know a price first i think

13. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Most DAWs see an interface's inputs as separate audio inputs, not linked stereo. So you can select "UR22 Input-1" or whatever as the input on a mono audio track, and you'll be recording in mono, to mono.

14. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Its fine for me in a DAW, i use a M-Audio MobilePre II to record mics for music stuff and its great, but if i want to use the same setup to record a game with commentary, every single software i use to record recognizes the microphone as only L or R, not mono. I have used all common recording softwares: fraps,dxtory,camtasia,mirilis,shadowplay and obs. None of them recognize my mic as MONO in input 1 or 2. Ive had to use voicemeeter to get around this, which also allows me to record commentaries when im recording asio so i can make DAW tutorials without a crazy setup hardware wise. The only problem is i think is uses the software ASIO driver and not my audio drivers version of ASIO, which changes the sound ever so slightly.

15. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

What's that got to do with the number of input channels?

That's exactly the point. Without this switch you can (hardware) monitor mono inputs on just one channel (e.g. one side of your headphones). And since these inputs are even made for guitars and mics, that's just stupid.

The UR22mkII is listed for EUR 159 right now.
    Tascam's US-2x2 offers pretty much the same (just bundled with better DAWs :)), but with a mono switch (in the driver, affects the hardware itself) and standalone mode. Lexicon's Lambda Studio (USD 119) has 5 inputs, 2 inserts, 2 mono switches in hardware and even a small bargraph meter. The Omega Studio (USD 149) even more channels and S/PDIF. If you don't need MIDI I/O, there's plenty other options too.
    But Steinberg and reach feature? I don't think so.

Br,
    Olaf

16. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

USB EWWW

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I can point you to this barf-out beauty for 120 bux.... :wink:

m-track.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  18. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

If you only have an audio source plugged into your left or right input, it's recording mono on one channel. If there's no way to create a mono audio track in your DAW and see if it accepts either L or R of your audio interface's inputs as a mono input, you can record in stereo, capturing the channel you're trying to record, and a blank channel. You can then hard pan the resulting stereo track to the side you captured audio on and re-record that to a mono channel. That's a lot of work, believe me (I have to record certain VI tracks that way, since my DAW can't load mono VIs), but I think you should be able to select a left or right channel as your input on a DAW's mono audio track.

19. Guillermo Navarrete

Hello,

The TASCAM is more expensive than the UR22, and the recording quality is not the same as the UR22, it supports 24-bit/ 96kHZ sample rate, while the UR22 24-bit/192kHz sample rate. I have an Omega Studio that was a gift in my rehearsal studio, and you cannot compare the built quality of the UR series with the Lexicon (the Omega should be compared to the UR44 not the UR22 anyway), the Omega does not has a power switch, if it drops out, specially on the Mac (it does not has dedicated drivers), you try to reset it and then it gets blocked, unresponsive, so you have to unplug it from the main and let it cool down, then try to use it again, it has no dedicated phones knob, so if you want to do some recording at night you have to switch of your monitors... on the paper it looks nice but, if you haven't used one you don't know how unpractical it is. On the bright side it is made of cheap plastic so it is light and easy to move around.

Best regards,
    GN

20. Morph

Morph Newbie

@wouala woualouf: Sorry to burst your bubble buddy, but you said it yourself:

Manufacturers follow the "leader" because that's where the money is at. Also, what do you rant here? The fact Steinberg is releasing an audio interface that is class-compliant? Are you that dumb? This is a great news and not only for Apple users. For instance, Linux users will love it because being class-compliant makes things easier to be compatible, have working drivers and such...

Of course, it also make things easier to work with smartphones and tablets that do use the class-compliant format (such iOS devices), but you can't blame a company for opening their products to a larger market and to make a lot of people happier. Steinberg do still support Windows users here, right? So stop ranting about things that have no place here...

If only Steinberg would have release an audio interface that would only work on Apple devices, then I would understand your rant. But at this point, this is just plain dumb stupid from you and not really the place here for that kind of comment.

PS: And you clearly don't know what you're talking about because Apple did announce AU version 3 already and they also already ditch the VST format because they push for the AU (their format instead). Nothing new here... it was already the case decades ago when Apple finally choose to not go with the VST format (even thought they were considering it). And Avid AAX doesn't provide anything any DAW (other than Protools) could be interested in...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  21. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

That's not true.

Amazon (Adblock has to be disabled...):

Sweetwater:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US2X2

And it's even just for the old mkI. I don't think mkII will be much cheaper. Anyway, it's still the same price range though.

You cannot measure the quality in kHz, since sample rate is something different.
    And speaking of necessities, you're telling us that a mono switch is not necessary, but 192 kHz is? In a 150 USD/EUR interface? What for? Mastering Classical DVD-A? :D

The last part doesn't make sense at all for me. Because the Omega is better than the UR22, you cannot compare them and have to take the UR44 instead? Yes, it doesn't have a power switch, that's true, but does the UR22 have one? No?
    Btw. I also still have the Omega somewhere around. It's definitely not "cheap", but a home studio interface that's not made for regular use on stage or something like this.

I'm not saying the UR22 is bad, for some reason it just shows a strange behavior when direct monitoring mono inputs without additional hardware. And a simple mono switch that could easily fix many problem is missing.
    Since it's a known issue, I though Steinberg might have been smart enough to fix this with the mkII.

Br,
    Olaf