New SSD Installation

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by xHitoKiri, Dec 28, 2013.

1. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

I finally upgraded my laptop to a SSD drive.

Everything work fine and i got windows working. I did a clean start because i wanted to get rid of all unwanted files and random stuff everywhere.

Back on topic:

1.- Is there anything extra that i need to do on the bios? Laptop takes 15-20 Seconds to start. Im just wondering if there's any options i need to do on the bios.

2.- I used to have an app that used to give me "turbo" or "battery". I saw it was recommended to download "Throttlestop". It looks interesting but i dont wanna mess up my computer.

http://forum.techinferno.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=16

I have no problems. I'm just wondering if i should add anything special on the bios for the SSD.

3. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Not sure about the specific problem, but try updating the bios if possible, or try updating the firmware for the SSD if it exists. Check that the SSD is primary boot drive in the bios because in some bios's it cycles through the list until it finds a bootable disk (if it isnt the primary one).

4. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

SSD is the best choice there is. Wise choice.

5. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

I have no problems. I'm just wondering if i should add anything special on the bios for the SSD.

6. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Some bios have a delay setting for waiting for the mechanical hard drives to spin up, you can turn that off if you have an ssd as the boot drive.
    Sometimes there will be a delay setting for how long to show manufacturers boot graphics etc as well, can save a second or two.

7. paulifra

paulifra Newbie

Make sure trim is enabled in your operating system.

Make sure Defragmentation is set to off for your ssd drive

8. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

Thanks! I google most of those ideas. I knew i was missing something. I remember reading about trim/defragmentation but i forgot about it.

=_= I start to regret starting from fresh. So much to install :sad:

9. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

If you have UEFI BIOS, then there shouldn't be any problem with SSD including running a system on SSD.
    However, i in person check for new firmware once in a while.

here are some tips you may find useful,
    but in general, all you should do is disable Prefetch and Superfetch in your services, because there's simply no use for them on SSD.

P.S. don't forget to check your drive's SMART.

10. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

Thanks! I got rid of prefetch and superfetch!

I been having trouble with trim.

I have a crucial m500. I look up online and it says that the newest firmware has a "trash thingy" that does the same work as trim.

I'm almost done with setting up everything.

Ableton and Studio one are so smooth now. It takes 15ish sec to start the laptop.

11. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Basically you need your SATA controller to be in AHCI and a correctly aligned partition.
    You could use AS SSD to check both. No need to run the benchmark itself, just launch the app and take a look at the top left corner. Both the driver and the alignment should be green with an "OK".

12. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Just for those considering purchase of a SSD, there is a HUGE difference in performance among brands/models.

For example on SATA2, the best choice would be Marvell-equipped uncompressed synchronous SSD (Crucial m4) as the read speed is mostly constant and uses 3Gbps bandwidth to the fullest.
    But for newer machines with SATA3, Samsung drives or Sandforce-driven SSD would be a wise choice as they support self-encryption and perform a bit better at 4K reads, but they need a big bandwidth overhead to operate seamlessly.

I personally don't have a system with SSD, because with two laptops and one desktop, I'd have to buy 3 ssd drives, which is pretty costly. If I bought just one, I'd have hard time deciding where to put it as I use all my systems equally :rofl:

13. kola

kola Member

erm what laptop is that? how old is it?

14. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

Asus gs73w

2 years now? time goes fast ):

Thanks for all the help.

Yea i got the m4. I browse around and i saw a couple of people saying it was good for my type of laptop.