New Speakers (Studio Monitors)

Discussion in 'Studio' started by gab23, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

No, they'r not bad, they'r actually pretty workable, the minimising-diffraction design is cool also, they can also be tweaked to sound mid-forward like the NS10, but back to Opal,despite they'r 2way, their X-Coil woofer can go from 30hz to 10Khz (really amazing) and being so "long-range" freq. workers, they got a great tone control and also a tighter crossover between the drivers(48db/oct), so when you compare them to 3way, you really won't lose anything against them. :wink:

2. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

No, they'r not bad. They'r really workable and it's design is a good feature for minimising diffraction. But back to Opals, despite is a 2way, it's x-coil woofer is able to go from 30hz up to 10Khz!!(which is incredible) that's why i told you is a good choise standing against to 3way, because has a really tight crossover between woofer & tweeter, so you won't loose anything against 3way. The choice is yours. If you can, hear them for yourself, you'll see how great tone control provide that x-coil woofer and the transients... damn... you'll be surprised :wink:

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Evorax Thank you for all your advices.
    One detail, just to clarify: woofer goes from 30hz to 10Khz but obviously the Monitor goes far beyond : 35Hz - 22kHz.
    Crossover is at 1600Hz !!!

4. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

Making music with headphones is fine. Nothing wrong with taking your laptop/setup to a park/beach and compose a song.

Mixing/mastering with headphones is the problem. Headphones tend to have many problems; such as lack of good representation of bass or detail on high frequencies. Speakers(monitors) show a flat response and give you a more detail representation.

I'm not saying mixing/mastering with headphones = poop. I'm just stating the pure facts.

I love using headphones and i find them to be a good way to program synths... but once you have 4-10 tracks playing at the same time. It's harder to keep track of all frequencies with just headphones.. even if its 1 thousand +++ headphones.

----------------------

Back on topic.. i Agree if your looking to upgrade/2nd hand on speakers. You should probably save and try to get 500-2k speakers for a better representation on frequencies.
    It's always good to have Excellent/decent/cheap speakers for different opinions/representation of frequencies.

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

xHitoKiri I already have 3 pairs here so now I only need the Excellent ones , even though I can't spend 10thks but some real flat extended freq ones, besides I don't need much power, I use to work around 25 to 35 watts RMS. BTW this is part of the difficulty as it is not easy to find high quality monitors that are not 200 watts.

6. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Yes, crossover is at 1600hz, but the woofer itself is capable to reach 10Khz without the tweeter, so because it's great performance, the crossover between the woofer and the tweeter is tighter, so you get a great tone controll over the whole spectrum. Sorry for delay, my network dns was in maintenance.

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

9 month later .... Just to give a conclusion to this thread.

I finally bought the Event Opal 8 month ago. I'm really happy with them, even if the "Studio Eq" is completely useless.
    They are very accurate, I could do the essential corrections for my room easily thanks to the on board controls. The relation price/quality is exceptional.

I thank all of the participants here, as thanks to each one of you I could do an accurate choice.

8. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Opal hey, are you sure you didnt come to the old thread just to show off :snuffy:

9. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

C'mon... :lmao: :rofl:

10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Well I came back as I think some people who may read this thread may be interest in what was the conclusion and what is the result after some months working with it.
    And yes, the Event Opal are really a great value.
    They are objective speakers even at low levels, you don't need to listen to it at 70 watt + to have powerful and clear basses.
    Stereo imaging and deepness is impressive.
    They can be used as close as 2 meters.
    They are front ported, so your low frequency don't go strait to the wall if your in a small room.
    They're build like tanks.

I paid 2.450 for the pair, but they sounds like 5.000 + speakers.

Beside I don't need to "show off" as I'm quiet present participating in this website. (if you doubt, compare your stats with mine)
    Provoking like this It's just like you're in lack of attention boy. :rofl:

11. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

I m only joking man, I m jealous, I thought that was obvious. I m struggling to collect 700£ for Adam A7X at the moment...

12. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

You'd better rise a little more and go for the EVEs. Their company is newer and was founded by the ex-Adam co-founder. Their AMT tweeter sounds sweeter and less hyped in the highs than Adam's XART and their implemented DSP engine protect them from overloading and makes sure they run optimally. I don't say that Adam's tweeter is bad, but i found some people claiming that they found it a little harsh even if it actually sounds nice and clear. I listened to both and EVEs are more easy on the ears and also more warmer. Adam sounded a bit cold in the comparision. That's my subjective listening/opinion though. I wanted to get Adams too, because i worked on them in a studio in the past, but EVEs ones seems a bit more enjoyable. Regarding mix translation, they're perfect for the price you pay. If you take the SC208 model, you won't gonna need a subwoofer to accurately hear the low freqs. Even SC207 is enough.

Good luck!

13. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Yes I heard about Eve's, I need to check them out. Although warmth isnt something you necessarily want in monitors. They are not made to make your music sound good, but rather like it is. But I will check them out, somebody else recommended them too. On the other hand I demoed A7X in a shop briefly. The guy only had some rap music to play, but those sibilants sounded really amazing. The highs on Adam's are really great. But I think I will bring something unmixed to the shop and test both. Thanks man

14. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

What i meant about "warmth" has nothing to do with the translation of your mixes. If you make a great mix on them, it will translate as good on everything else, just as Adams does or even better (because you can mix on the EVEs for a longer time before you feel the fatigue). The fact that the Adams delivers boosted highs, they tend to tire your ears faster than EVEs. I named them "warm" because they sound a bit more sweeter in the highs than the ADAMs. If you'll compare them side by side, you'll realise what i meant. Also there's no negative review about EVEs yet, while ADAMs already got some negative opinions on Gearlsutz, but most of them are good too. Anyway, i worked on Adam A7X in the past and i know how nice they are, they always sounded 3d-ish for me, but after i discovered and compared EVEs to them, i tend to like EVEs more, that's what i've realised once i compared them in the store. You should definetely compare them and see which one you dig more. Believe me, EVEs deliver as much detailed sound as ADAMs but you might find them sweeter to work on.

P.S. EVE SC205 which is a 5" monitor, sounds better to my ears than the ADAM A5X. SC205 delivers a bigger sound, making you feel like they're not a 5" speakers. Also the mids on the SC208 are nicer than the mids on the ADAM A8X which i found them a bit scooped(the guys who listened on A8X knows what i mean). You should definetely check them on your own. That would be the best way you could form an opinion about these models.

All the best! :mates:

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Ok, Sorry then. May be I didnt understood because my english is very limited and there are so many ego super centric ...

I wish you can collect this money rapidly and come back to "show off" :rofl: Seriously is good to have opinions about hardware.

Buying Hardware I always remember Stevie Wonder's song Superstition: "When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer" :rofl:

16. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

your english is good, its just that any text comunication can be ambiguous. Thats why we use emoticons. I guess I should have used smiley face instead of angry. But I was a bit angry so I found it appropriate at the time :rofl: Sorry

17. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Well anyway, we know that we are all with good will so it's positive. If you can have a test with the Event, just do it and come bask say what you think.
    Once you'll buy your new speakers, tell us your experience.

18. kidvibes

kidvibes Noisemaker

I heard Mackie speakers and they are really good!