New Speakers (Studio Monitors)

Discussion in 'Studio' started by gab23, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

If you can't get some of the other 3way pairs mentioned above, then, some of the front ported monitors i know are the focal line, all adam ax & F series and krk vxt series. I don't remember more than these at the moment.

2. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Do you know Dynaudio BM15A ?

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Belive me, adam aX series not only sound good, but also translate well on other sistems. If he couldn't make this possible, is not because of the monitors, is all about room treatment and mixing skills. In my free time, i make money on my house, when i'm not in the studio, by doing mastering task for alot of customers, and i do it on some cheap Esi aktiv 08 monitors (that doesn't sound cheap)in a untreated room and they never complained about mixing/mastering problems in their songs, most of the clients came to me because they heard some of the songs on the internet, and you know the praise that come with the question "Who mastered your song bro?" and that's the way that most of them came to me. So belive me, adam not only sounds great and crystal-clear, but also very accurate!

4. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

I haven't checked the Adams myself, but if they actually have a great sound you should be able to use them to make best possible mix, and if you worry that it's too specific then check it on sth else, like some ordinary stereo equipment. Then you could just go back and adjust some parts if you think it's needed.
    I always try to check the sound through a few different sources before I feel finished with a mix.

Anyway, this discussion shows how subjective music can be. That's why you have to check out the gear with your own ears before making decisions, everybody's different.

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I am asking so much, because where I live (close to paradise) there are no big music stores, so the only thing I could listen to here are too bad for my objective.

So I have to buy, after asking and reading a lot.

6. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

BM15A are really good if they fit your budget. Don't worry about too much opinions, either you choose adam, dynaudio, eve or focal, they will all do the job done, at least.. this is your purpouse. If you have the money for Event Opal, then if you would get these, you'll say to yourself "i read so much about other studio monitors when these are one of the best". They have inovative technology, so if you buy them, you won't regret it!

7. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

OK Olymoon, I get it. Personally I'm about as far away from paradise as you can get :snuffy:
    Just try to make sure that you order stuff from some place that have a decent return / exchange policy, so you still have some options in the event that the monitors you go for won't match your expectations.

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Evorax Money is of course a concern, but I really want to get monitors to mix confidently with, and I understand that it will not be cheap,
    (even though I wont spend 20.000)

Yes I saw these Event Opal, but aren't they a bit powerful (270 watts )for a small place? In my experience listening to powerful monitors at 15% of their power give bad results.

And then if we got to more or less 3000€ what do you think about sE Munro the Egg?

thisis theend Well here, I'll have to ask to some store to bring it for me, and they wont give me this option. So I am really obliged to do my choices through others experience, that is why your help is so precious.

9. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Olymoon,
    It sounds really tough if you're prepared to spend like 2,000 € or more and can't have any chance to change your mind.
    Don't you have any basic consumer rights, or aren't you in the EU? Cause within EU if there's some company where you could order the gear online you should have at least 7 working days to regret the purchase if you want.

10. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Even Opal are designed to work optimal regardless to the volume (X-Coil double low distortion technology). You can just work on them on lower volumes and they'll do the same job, because they'r not cheap monitors, they'r really a badass inovative aproach and also front-ported (i know a band guy who tested it's max SPL Level on youtube, keepin' them in a small treated room and he just praise them to the max, even John Merchant sound-engineer, he replaced his main Genelecs monitors with Opals and he couldn't be happier). I heard Opals in a local store and belive me, if i wouldn't do that in the past, the Opals for me would still be the only monitors that i would buy without listening to them first. You can hardly find a picky guy to dislike them and also the built quality is awesome. They are made to be one of the most accurate for translation, they can even be optimised by the room enviroment with the EVENT Studio EQ correction mic & software, which is a killer combo (Opals + studio EQ). Is exactly what you would need in your situation, top-notch translation, built quality, good sound and room optimisation posibility to work best on your room. You didn't knew that, when you mix a song on a lower volume, sounds better when you bring up the volume.. and when you do the opposite there are more chances to don't sound that good, so don't complain about the 'optimal volume' to work with the Opals, not when it comes to Opal, because on these babies, you won't consider the "volume thing" a problem, belive me :wink:

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Evorax, really thank you very much for taking the time to answer. It is so important if I'm going to spend that money to be sure it is going to be ok.

You say:
    Yes I know, that is one of the reasons I like to work at reasonable volume and that's why at my old age I am not half def like a lot of my friends.

I can't find the price of the Studio EQ alone... Do you know the price?

Thisis Theend Yes there is a law, I have one week to give it back, but I am at 15 days to civilization, hahaha

What I am thinking is may be I take flight only to choose my gear (I am changing my Soundcard too and some more things)
    if I can find a store that have this in demo, which, even in big town, they are not much.

12. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

ok guys we get it, your speakers speak better...next topic...(insert boring technical comment about speakers no one cares about here oh wait nevermind it's tl;dr)

13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

HKPotential I could have this conversation in private with those who begun to give helping answers.
    But I am sure that many other users find or will find themselves in this same situation.
    Even if they can go to a store to listen to some Monitors, this is not the same than having opinion and advices from experienced people.
    If you are not interested, you can pass your way.

And yes, why not graphic response curves and more technical data? :rofl:

Anyway, one thing is sure and obvious, if you don't have good speakers you cant mix right, and it is more difficult to compose right if you cant listen clearly to the instruments. Last but not least, you don't have the same pleasure.

14. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

formal story bro, counter-troll it again?

I'm just kidding ya know me, venting off here and there, speak away, it is an audio forum after all...where else can you have this conversation? :mates:

Just don't feed me an you'll be fine :hug:

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Ok :rofl:

16. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

On sweetwater.com, if you buy the Event Opals from there, you get in the same pack the "Studio Eq" too for free, check if the store you would buy them have the same option. Who knows, maybe Studio Eq comes for free especially for every Opal pair purchase, ask the store you want to buy from, they will give you an answer. Have a nice day.

17. Teletoby

Teletoby Member

Nope, thats not true, i used Adam P33a speakers a couple of years, and i really liked them, until i heard the Focal Twin 6Be and the SM9. Then i tried many other speakers (DynAudio, Klein&Hummel, Neumann, Event, PMC, ATC, Genelec), i compared them directly with Adam and Focal, and Focal was the winner. I give a fuck on "this superstar owns them, this guy is working with it and what ever" because this says nothing. Crucial is the objective direct comparison of a couple of speakers with a CD and music you know well.

And by the way, what you know doesn't matter. :bleh:

I think in this case you are talking about yourself. :)

18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Teletoby You and Evorax help a lot here, not just me, any person who have the same questions.
    After his "a bit offensive" words Evorax kind of apologies, so please, let's go on positive all and we'll get constructive results.

Which Focal monitors were the winners?

Evorax Yes I have seen that. And I found a store in the country of which my place depends that have this offer. I hope I'll can take advantage of this offer.

19. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

The focals was the winners for his *SUBJECTIVE* hearing that he also called "objective" about testing monitors with refferences cds, but as other guys said here, the studio monitor tastes are the most subjective tools for everybody. What i was against him was the denying about being able to work on ribbon tweeters monitors and also superstar examples that i named in earlier posts was proof about people who made it in music and keep working on ribbon-tweeters without complaining about anything. Maybe i overreacted in the earlier posts, and i'm sorry about that, but.. man... how he can come with some negative practical details(that can influence the people thinking when they want to buy something) about ribbon tweeters with no real scientific evidence (while actually alot of the pros enjoy ribbon-tweeter monitors as their main refference speakers). Adam experts who developed the X-art ribbon tweeter, they made sure that it will suit the needs of a pro studio and he, one of the minority people who dislike ribbon tweeters, try to deny the majority who developed them and also the pros who already used/using them.

I know Focal monitors too, they are really great, i have NO CONS about them, they'r kickass tools, but look :), if you would listen to them side by side (his Focal Twin 6be) with the Opals, you'll tend to like Opals more even if they'r 2-way, and also your advantage with Opals will be the room optimisation feature, new tech aproach and also front-ported(my bet).

20. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes Evorax, The Event Opal have an advantage with this room correction system. On the other hand the Focal SM9 is interesting because of its flexibility to be a 2 way or 3 way in one.

About the Ribbon tweeters, which is not a new technology, many engineers say that they get less tired with them.
    The argument of the timing, that they work faster than usual tweeters so you would not mix transient the right way, seems a bit strange to me as, at this small level of time amount, I doubt this would make a difference, but yes it is said that with these tweeter you listen with more details to transient so you can mix more accurately.

No one answers about Munro Egg 150? Are they so bad to be ignored?