New Rock Track - Fire and Ice - instrumental w/ keys and Monster SD3 drums

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by akashaman, Jan 30, 2019.

1. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

You have a track here called "back in California" which I absolutely think is amazing. The mix is way more dynamic and natural sounding. This one feels a little squashed. The sd3 sounds great, love the crunch guitars on the sides but the mix misses what was cool about the Cali track mix. These thoughts are a bit reflective because I'm dealing with similar issues... The writing sounds cool though.

2. akashaman

akashaman Guest

thanks
    for the input guys ! i will def look into these things :
    i don`t use much on my master bus , as in limiters & such ; so my render is not very squashed & or too hot. I usually run it through some mastering software to bump it up some , & even here i try not to get the mix too hot :
    that is one of my pet peeves , ha -- hot mixes & the loudness wars :

thanks again !

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Woah! Do you have a sub woofer? No? Then it might be a good idea to get one.
    The mix is sub overload and is tilted towards the bottom. It's like the kick has reverb and you but a bass enhancer on the kick reverb. :)
    Mud is another word I'd use (300-ish overlapping).
    Try to make everything have their respective sweetspot so that all sounds have a place to sit.

4. babuk

babuk Producer

Worst thing for an artist, to beg likes

5. akashaman

akashaman Guest

er , no i don`t use a sub woofer on my studio computer ? [ does anyone ? ]
    i do know those drums are really boomy tho ! i will look into the reverb , low end for sure : i can feel it here , but with no sub i am sure i am missing the lower frequencies.
    thanks man !

6. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

This song is awesome, so much energy in it.
    Just wondering if these are "real" instruments or some VSTis/sample libs?

EDIT: I just saw in your title that the drums are from Superior Drummer 3, what about the rest?

7. akashaman

akashaman Guest

TY Santer !

i am using guitar rig 5 for the guitars , OP X Pro II for key parts during heavy [ fire ] section & LUSH 101 for the mellow [ ice ] lead key section , also the bass is a fretless ran through GR as well >

& oh my , the mix is soo boomy as many have mentioned , ha : i am tweaking that now ; i will re upload new version in a bit !

thanks again for feedback & kudos

8. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

OP X: This Oberheim clone...
    This is probably why your track kind of reminded some Van Halen stuff. :wink:

9. akashaman

akashaman Guest

ya , that is one badd ass synth ! ha

if u listen to intro u can hear the RUSH tom sawyer bass patch & the intro lead is the STYX fooling yourself patch ! ;)

10. akashaman

akashaman Guest

OK , i uploaded new version under old version , 1st page : i think i tamed the low end : its still booms , but i think its a lot better ?!

Thanks all :

11. Recoil

Recoil Guest

In my opinion it sounds good now , great composition :shalom: