New RAM help?

Discussion in 'PC' started by barah sherlock, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. barah sherlock

barah sherlock Noisemaker

Hey forum!

I'm planning on getting a upgrade for my ram, and need a bit of help and opinions.
    I'm currently using a (Lenovo 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 Low Halogen UDIMM Memory) x2 and I'm looking to upgrade my ram to a 32gb. My motherboard only has 2 ram slot so I'm thinking on getting
    (HyperX Savage 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz). Will the HyperX ram fit into my current slot? Will it work?
    Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Ps. I'm terrible with computers.

3. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Why don't you look in the manual for you motherboard and it will tell you what ram is compatible with it.

And with reading instruction manuals too.

4. mag666

mag666 Kapellmeister

The HyperX you are looking at, is a different type of memory and so will not work with your Lenovo. You have to use exact matches for the type of memory....

You need to find

PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 Low Halogen UDIMM Memory

As far as I can tell Crucial, nor any other manufacturer I can find, only make up to 8GB sticks of this for whatever reason.. not 16GB..

Example :
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/lenovo-h50-05/CT6890088

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You can only use DDR3 type memory with this motherboard and you can only get up to 8GB DIMMs currently. So you can only upgrade to 2x8GB of DDR3 DIMMs which is 16GB. Your motherboard *very probably* doesn't even support more than 16GB of memory since it has only two memory slots.

Look for G.Skill, Crucial, Kingston DDR3 PC3 12800/1600MHz DIMMs with lowest latency possible -> that's the "CL" [CAS latency] value. CL9 DIMMs are quite common and nicely priced. CL8 or even CL7 DIMMs are only marginally faster [a couple %], so you won't feel the difference in speed, but these are usually the highest quality memory and may be worth it if the price difference is not too big. :wink:

Cheers :mates: !

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List