[New Plugin Release] Sound shaping from beyond, with the denise poltergate.

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Denise.Audio, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Denise.Audio

Denise.Audio Producer

The poltergate is denise audio’s latest plugin release and fuses the powers of transient design, gating and de-bleeding into one. Shape live drums, samples or any source you like in a swift, creative and intuitive way. Achieve better noise reduction, instrument separation and de-bleeding in a plugin optimised for power, fast results and creativity.

"The less plugins I have to cycle through the better”

“I’ve tried a fair few ‘gate’ plugins and never really get along with them… poltergate however considers the ‘vibe’ that close drum mics are supposed to retain, especially evident in the ‘punch’ and ‘fat’ controls you added. It’s like a gate, EQ, transient designer and clipper all-in-one! The less plugins I have to cycle through the better. On top, just using the punch and fat controls on a floor tom that didn’t even need much gating sounded super cool!”

Rhys May (Bring Me The Horizon, One OK Rock, Enter Shikari)

Bleed shall not pass!

For the poltergate, denise created their own, unique de-bleeding algorithm to achieve the precision they wanted. With just three intuitive knobs, you can keep the bleed out while preserving both the punch and the resonance of the drum. It’s triggered by the same threshold as the gate, so you can save time by adjusting both the gate and the de-bleeder at once rather than separately. Take care of that cymbal spill and low end rumble on toms like nothing else.

Use the poltergate creatively thanks to its extended feature set and go a bit crazy if you want to! For example, use the EQ graph and spike to target whatever instrument you would like to use in a sampled loop. Then set the release to sync the tempo and even automate it to create rhythmic effects, using the curve feature to tweak the feel of it. Then, with the dynamics section, exaggerate the attack or the fat, even going into clipping territory to turn it into something really different.

“Perfect plugin to get some more spice and transient on a weak kick or drum groove! Also very sick for creating interesting side-chain rhythms on bass lines or percussion arrangements.”

Achat - Breakbeat Ninja & owner of 01010100 Records
    • Built-in side-chain EQ graph: Detection of the signal in maximum detail.
    • Unique de-bleeder algorithm: Bleed shall not pass with these 3 simple controls.
    • New possibilities and time saving: Transient design, gating and de-bleeding in one.
    • Spike control: Unique feature to detect transients more easily.
    • Clipper, Flip & Audition: Shape & colour to make your sound extra thick.
    [​IMG]

The process of creating the poltergate has been a close collaboration between the members of the denise team. Tweaking settings and experimenting with the optimal algorithm was a very precise and time-consuming process: for months, the team created various versions of the plugin, sometimes several a day, in order to get the optimal plugin controls.

Have a look at more examples and videos at https://www.denise.io/store/denise/poltergate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Denise.Audio

Denise.Audio Producer

Hi all,

we wanted to pass by and share the new intro video outlining the plugin's main features:

If anyone in the forum have been using the poltergate, or trialing it at all, we'd be interested to get anymore feedback or thoughts you have on it so far.

Happy producing!

Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Denise.Audio

Denise.Audio Producer

Hi all,

we've now released an update to the poltergate (v1.1.0), which adds an output dial to the dynamics tab and includes a bug fix to the EQ node display.

The plugin is now available to download from your library if you have already bought a copy. If not, grab a copy of the plugin while it is still on sale as an introductory price.

All the best,
    Joe

5. Denise.Audio

Denise.Audio Producer

Hi all,

we're pretty happy to share Music Tech's review of the poltergate with you all, because not only have they given the plugin a 9/10 review, they also awarded it their "Innovation Award" badge! I think they like the combination of the gate, dynamics and debleeder all on one unit

Here's the full review if you wanted to read it for yourselves:

[​IMG]
    denise audio Poltergate review: Bring your drums back to life from the beyond
    Smarter than the average noise gate, Poltergate adds transient shaping and de-bleed to the equation.
    musictech.com

All the best,
    Joe

6. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Cool, Denise, I liked it from what I've seen! Just bought The Sweeper yesterday, keep rocking, I like your ideas!

7. birdboi

birdboi Producer

I think my biggest advice is to make the plugin/interface look a bit cleaner, that's the first thing I noticed, I think it would make it look more professional. The way that the options in each slider are done makes them have huge spaces between them, and idk, I'm not the biggest fan of that, but that's just my personal opinion, its not gonna be the same with everyone else, soo take it as you wish.

Ima be real honest here I don't know much about this dynamics and de-bleeding stuff or the things mentioned in this plugin, but I do like how the plugin has all of these things at once, very good ideas, keep adding! And the fact that an EQ graph is added into this is even more amazing, very cool stuff!

Also if you could, maybe make the plugin a bit bigger on the screen? Not sure how much it would cost to implement that, but just a suggestion. I felt like it was a bit too small to see, especially that graph.

Yes I wrote this using the trial version of this plugin.

8. Denise.Audio

Denise.Audio Producer

Hi birdboi,

thanks for your suggestions.

I think my biggest advice is to make the plugin/interface look a bit cleaner. - Honestly, this is the first time we've had comment about the interface looking messy. Users often say they like how the interface is simple and misses out any unnecessary looking features.

Ima be real honest here I don't know much about this dynamics and de-bleeding stuff or the things mentioned in this plugin, but I do like how the plugin has all of these things at once, very good ideas, keep adding! Thanks! We aimed to re imagine how dynamics fit with debleeding and gating in this workflow.

Also if you could, maybe make the plugin a bit bigger on the screen? You're right, the initial size is small, but our plugins are all fully resizeable, so they can be any size you want them to be.

All the best,
    Joe

9. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

available as native apple silicon ? please

10. birdboi

birdboi Producer

Hello again!

Let me re-try to best explain what I meant by the interface, sorry I was super vague last time.

[​IMG]

You see how there is SO much space between each option compared to the room space in that section of the plugin? Yeah, that's what I mostly meant. In most other plugins, usually the space is used very well for what is given, yet here, look at the ratio of the parameters compared to the "size room" of the options, that's the first thing that caught my eye. There is definitely ways to make this look better and cleaner.

[​IMG]

This is just an example I made in paint of something I would do if I had the chance to remake that interface, (yes I spent way too fking long to make this in ms paint lol) I know its not picture perfect, but see how its atleast a LITTLE more organized now? That's what I mean when I said the interface was a little messy. I put options to click on each different clip options cause I saw it pointless to drag the clip around only to get 3 options, off, auto, or clip. I'm sorry but this type of stuff kinda gets in my nerves ;p

Also, my bad, I completely missed the little corner drag thing that can resize it, I didn't know. However I do think the default size when you load it up should be bigger then it currently is, I don't want to keep changing the size over and over every time I load it up because it really is that small, mind you on a 1080p screen.

Also, theres no Init preset? I just noticed. You have the different presets, but no Init, should be pretty simple to quickly add that as an update, unless I'm blind as usual and it' was right in front of me the entire time.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021