New Order - Blue Monday - Otto meets Rolma & John - Soft Bass Mix

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by jack, Jan 18, 2013.

1. jack

jack Newbie

Hello,

as the project gets more in shape, I thought it's time for a preview.

Thanks to Rolma & John :mates:

http://soundcloud.com/otto-auch/new-order-blue-monday-otto-1

I think it's the first mix that includes (mostly) all vocalparts, a soften bass, a new arrangement and stuff..

Construtive critic is welcome! :bow:

Greets,
    Jack

3. oelalmas

oelalmas Member

this is done nicely , love it

4. BlasterM

BlasterM Newbie

Firstly, I'd cut first 30 seconds out of intro. There's just too much unnecessary playing with effects.
    Then, I'd seriously do something to piano. Takes too much room out of stereo field and it's too bassy. Makes the whole mix muddy while it's playing.
    Then, I'd add some rhythmic elements, percussions of somekinda.

5. jack

jack Newbie

Thanks for comments & critic :)

@oelalmas: glad you like it

@BlasterM: Yes intro doesn't fit right now. I removed the deep part from the piano and will keep in mind to add rhyhtmic elements..

First of all I exchanged bass and some edits here and there.. might you like to listen to updated version:

http://soundcloud.com/otto-auch/new-order-blue-monday-88-gl

Greets,
    Jack

6. Devlin

Devlin Newbie

Voice of woman is too loud compared with male vocal.

And she sound drunk if you put the vocal next to yours in the first part. Like not knowing the lyrics too well and singing along with you. Second part and the rest is much better (2:30).

That synth sound starting at 3:20. You could fade this in when the piano starts around 2:55

Like the phaser effect around 4:50.

Some more reverb on the snare and hihat. Hihat pitch one or two semitones up. Doesnt sound like the correct key but i might be wrong.

Like this cover of the band Orgy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAt9QTmVc7Q

Maybe good for inspiration. Mix it again, and would love to hear. The second version is way better than your first version. Remember, Billy Jean of Michael JAckson is also mixed more than 100 times before we know it as the actual song....

So hope to hear your new mix :wink:

7. jack

jack Newbie

Thanks for your critic.

Yes there are some things that have to be fixed and some could be created in a different way. still trying to find out when / which element should play and still unhappy with some elements. maybe i'm stucked with that sound. however will try to keep the ideas and critic in mind. here's small up/down date :rofl:

http://soundcloud.com/otto-auch/new-order-blue-monday-ottos-13

(More, new ..) feedback is still welcome..

Greets,
    Jack

8. Devlin

Devlin Newbie

He is back! Man, i waited a long time. lol

Intro is too long, woman voice is too soft and the synth could use some EQ in high. Do you use a compressor on the bass, sidechained with kick? Could use one.

And maybe some compression at the masterchannel.

Like the voices starting around 6:00 and gone at 6:21. And back at the end. Your synth at the end is a nice sound.

You could start with piano at the beginning. Add more instruments while building up the song, just a different approach than the original. At 1:55, the start of the chorus end of the leadsynth part, i miss an extra high note?

So you have all the sounds and samples, now it is the arrangement and mastering thing. :wink:

9. jack

jack Newbie

Now that i know.. i'll try my best.. so no more that long waiting.

The intro doesn't fit right now. Yes, not sure if the vocals should be realy at same volume.. but listen to my next try - think there they are near equal.

I think there is too much beat right now (yes one is sidechained) and too much bass sounds also i think it's overcompressed - i think i should leave that compression on the master and that the uncompressed version sounds better..

And yes i have the vocals.. and the notes /chords etc. but i'm not sure about the sounds.. i havn't create any bass or beat (for the song) that makes me say: yes this is good.
    The Strings and Piano for example i like (sound wise).

So here is Beat Number 3 or 4 (or 8) .. Guess this will be the last update for a while.Update:

some vocals adjustments (cuts, volume etc.), some eqing and panning, some old elemnts are gone some new have been added.. - most edits / time i spent with the part after the intro..

http://soundcloud.com/otto-auch/new-order-blue-monday-fine-cut-mix-v4

Construtive critic is (still) welcome!

Greets,
    Jack