New mix master compare session in progress

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by kooper, Feb 21, 2022.

1. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

So one of the members of the collab group I host has created a new mix/master compare session for one of the tracks of his album. He will be doing this for every song on his album. He has posted his first mix in player 1. Seeks HELPFUL criticism. I can either give you access to te discord server we are using to discuss, or give you access to the comments at the bottom. Either way you can talk directly to him. He will be making adjustments and inserting the adjusted mixes in the other players where we can compare immediately and discuss. If you want access send me a DM: https://sites.google.com/view/shinyfasteardrum/in-process/shadows

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Basically, not bad. I'd apply following changes:

- emphasize below 80Hz
    - reduce between 100 - 200Hz
    - add more body to the cyms and reduce their reverb
    - matter of taste, the snare sound. Maybe add more bottom mic and/or a bit of short room?
    - fade out at the end is too fast. Don't tell me the guitarist didn't hold this chord (would be a first [​IMG])

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

There are four mixes which appear to download, but the only one not 404 error is the first.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

I stepped in that trap at first too but then I read the OP again
    :winker:

6. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

as everyone else mentioned only first mix works, so here's my input about that...

to me everything sounds boring and 2d, no depth no dimension, and again boring, i'd love to hear some compression here and there especially on the drums to give the mix a bit more pumpiness and life...

maybe a bit of saturation on the vocals too?

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

at about 30 seconds in I thought I heard a compressor over-reacting, but I really only listened once so far. For me, I think the mix is very Guitar-centric and not giving enough space for the drums. one quick listen though :)

8. dia manu

dia manu Producer

is that a mix? sounds and appears like the mixer is afraid to make decisions, very apparently

9. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Umm, I am the admin there. I suppose you guys can discuss amongst each other and it serves for that, but the idea is to tell him, not me. When you say to me it is ameturish, and then show me a mix of your own work, that is is vague and misses the target. I do see a little bit of helpfull feedback mixed in amongst the bashing. Some of what you've said here is constructive. Is the whole reason you got good at this is so you can look down on others or is there something helpful to be said too? It's not my work here guys. I am the messenger.

10. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Is this really what you consider helpful? If the only reason you want to get good is so you can look down on others, I just assume stay down here with the little people. I would not want to be like you and look down on people and make fun. Is that how you entertain yourself? You must be a lot of fun to work with. Egos abound.

11. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

This is helpful. THIS is how you give constructive criticism guys. No bashing, just opinion. Thanks. I will pass this to the artist.

12. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I guess I can take a screen shot and show it to him. He can read what is helpful in amongst the ego. There is some that is helpful here. Better than what you said to me in private. Thanks.

13. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

No just the one mix so far. When he makes more mixes they will be inserted in the other players to compare progress or lack there of.

14. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Helpful and to the point. Nothing childish in this response. Thank you.

15. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

The players in the template are empty until we populate them. As he tries what is said the mixes are inserted and compared. Only the first player has a mix in it. More to come. I will indeed pass along what has been said here that is helpful. If he didn't need to improve we would not be doing this. Not hard to comprehend what's happening here guys.

16. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Use the freq between 250 and 550 for the guitar and vocals so you don't have to push so hard in the 1200-3500 range.
    Reduce the vocal in that 1.4K-5K range, once you've given it some body and warmth lower down.
    Is there a notch somewhere in that 3K to 5K range, something sounds off, reso corners?

Not much above 9-10K could make better use of the air.

What the cat said.
    Clone is right the comp does grab a little too hard here and there, but not sure where that is sounds like it could be in the actual mix and not in post.

The rest, well all of it really is personal taste.

17. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Well... I think it's definitely on the right track. And I listened on my cheapo earbuds so I'm not going to start throwing out detailed suggestions based on that!

My impression though was that it does lean bright (like, hi mid bright); I felt it was fatiguing. Drums, gtr, vox all seem to be trying to live in that 1 to 3k range. So I'd look at that and definitely give the kick some 60-80 thump- just a bit, a little low mid in the snare, hit the cymbals like No Avenger said. I like the guitars in the face. I almost felt the drums were too loud but I *think* backing off the high MIDs would get that. I could stand a liiiiiiiiitle more room on the drums. Not much. I really like the whole vocal approach.

All in all it sounds better already than a lot of crap I hear around here. IMO.

(Also, I've spent the last 2 hours at a rehearsal wearing IEMs so I may literally have no idea what I'm talking about right now :rofl:)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  18. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

You could give him the link to this thread too.