New Macs shown, Apple Silicon is on the roll, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Foobar

Foobar Producer

You are completely crazy. Are you on meds or something?

2. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Apple Silicon had undeniably a great start right away. Personally, I didn't expected this. It's fast, it's silent (that's actually a big point, no noisy fans if you have a mike in the same room), it seems to work fairly well, considering it's a whole new platform.

However, there are indeed some drawbacks. The limited RAM is one. While I'm sure later Macs will come with more RAM options than 16 GB, you generally can't buy a basic version and see where it goes from there, because there is no way of upgrading the RAM later. And RAM is VERY expensive right away. Very bad for the entry to a new platform.

The biggest weakness - for people who need it - is the GPU. While Apple is right, it's faster than other integrated GPUs, it's still very slow compared to even midlevel dedicated graphics cards. That's holding Apple Silicon back. It's the bottleneck of the system. Arm could be much faster if it wasn't for the GPU.

Another huge weakness FOR ME is that none of the M1's is able to connect to an ultra widescreen monitor at 5.120x1.440. That's a joke in 2021. If you worked with such a monitor you will never go back. Makes all new M1 Macs an Instant no go FOR ME.

And lastly, it's way too early to work with them professionally. It will probably take at least a year until most software and plugins may have an ARM version. And many older plugins may never get one at all.

The biggest drawback from the software side is Big Sur. Taking away the security of Little Snitch is indeed an epic fail, as this was always one of the biggest selling points for macOS. We'll have to see if there will be solutions for this in the future.

So my recommendation: stay away for now, lean back and watch what will happen. But in a year or two, they may very well revolutionize the industry. I'm pretty sure Microsoft will make a fresh start with Windows for Arm as well, which would be great because it would speed up development for Arm even further.

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I'm literally praying for that. And AMD fighting back with their 5nm CPU/GPUs. And Intel... well, nobody cares :rofl:
    And watch out nVidia, they're buying ARM... I'm also praying that nVidia launches a desktop CPU/APU
    Would be nice if Linux can get first class drivers.

I've talked about hardware backwards-compatibility, but another good thing in the long run would be software and programming languages starting almost from scratch.

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I wouldn't be surprised if Windows apps through Crossover AND Rosetta 2 on Apple M1 would run faster than on Windows ARM :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. cyrano

cyrano Noisemaker

Look at history...

Rosetta 2 seems to be at least as good as Rosetta once was.

Apple's in the same situation as they were before when the switch from IBM's PPC processors to Intel X86 was made. IBM couldn't deliver the G6 in time, with the performance promised. Exactly the same as Intel today. IBM refocused as a service company, Intel seems to have lost it's focus.

What's important to Apple is power consumption. The M1 processor obsoletes everything Intel has. And when I look at the brain drain Intel has been undergoing, I expect they simply can't solve that problem. This is a big opportunity for AMD...

The software in use for audio doesn't need an old-fashioned high-end GPU. 99.9% of users have no use for it. There's NO advantage to a VST plugin. How many VST's do you know that can offload processing to the GPU?

It might be different for video editing. Don't know. I'm still waiting to see what AfterBurner is all about...

I've been very critical about Apple's behaviour in the last decade. Still, it finally makes sense. Apple is going to be a bank. Your bank, because you've been fooled long enough by all the other banks. That's why Apple cares about security. Not your security, but Apple's security, as a bank. Frankly, that's at least interesting, as most bank's online security isn't very good. Nor is their service. So it shouldn't be too hard for Apple to do better, would it?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

so M1 for DAW use remains a clear NO by now...

and no one more time

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  7. quadcore64

quadcore64 Rock Star

What most people don't seem to know about ARM & Apple.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List