New Macs shown, Apple Silicon is on the roll, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Nov 11, 2020.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

probably first video on YT showing DAW (Reaper) and plugins (various, including iZotope, Waves, Soundtoys...) via Rosetta 2:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

dupe

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Sure, trojans my ass lol. You gotta be kidding. And because i see @tzzsmk agrees. Are you guys implying that Apple cares for the comp not getting infected ? Lemme lol from here to eternity.
    The unique hash from your comp sent each time you open something, includes date, time, computer name, isp, city, state, country, application hash. Geolocation etc, all means, just like Rossman and others commented, that Apple knows whatever you do on the fkn comp when you do it. They will know all about your digital life and i pray peeps have a real life as well, because i'm aware of some peeps that don't. And now with Covid19 going strong and all of us being forced behind our screens whether we like it or not, this poses a matter of significant proportion.
    Apple's partnership with US's military intelligence, gives FBI unlimited authorized access to ANY or ALL of this data without a federal warrant anytime they like. And they did it thousands of times in 2019 and 2020 already, way before BigSur.
    So yeah, you guys can keep on speculating if Apple silicon will make it in audio comps anytime soon or if open CL will finally work and whatever plugs will be slow or not working at all, i will pass, thanks.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

So go live in a bunker under a mountain somewhere?

5. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Yes, that's exactly what I'm implying and you can lol to your hearts content till eternity, but that's exactly the reason why Apple does this. There would be MUCH better ways to spy than this shit.

Let me try to explain you some things:

1. It is NOT a unique hash from a computer. It's a license hash from the software. We know this because two different versions of the same software from the same developer have the same hash, two different developers do not. The hash on two different Macs for the same software are the same. So let me repeat this, it is NOT YOUR hash, it's the developer license. It is NOT unique for you or your Mac. Not data about your Mac is transmitted.

2. It doesn't include anything else. No date, no computer name, no isp, no city, no state etc.

3. BUT every single connection you make to an Apple server or webpage contains your IP address and a timestamp.

4. Geolocation allows to roughly identify the region where the request comes from. But it does NOT allow to identify the person who sent the request. And it's very unreliable. E.g. my geolocation depends on my IP and most providers assign the same IP blocks for a whole region at random for each login. Which means, Apple COULD identify that you are from New York or somewhere in Southwest Florida. That's it. Good luck trying to identify a person with just this data.

Ask Rossman how they do that with just the data I listed above. Maybe Apple uses dark magic?

That's not about THIS data for sure. The intelligence community could just ask your provider and they know all about your computer usage pattern including the times when you went to the toilet or watched Game of Thrones in the living room. They for sure don't dig into this shit just to find out that someone in New York opened Firefox. (They probably want account data from Apple but for sure not this shit)

Work with anything you want, as long as it isn't Windows. And never ever use Google Chrome.

By the way, every single webpage you open with a browser knows MUCH more about you. Even if you use Linux.

Because not only do you send the exact same things like BigSur does, namely your IP address & a timestamp for the exact same geolocation to every webpage you visit, but also the Browser data even including the version number of this software, which tells a lot more than a developer hash, but you even send a nearly unique ID of yourself to every webpage. Each request transmits a lot of data about your browser, the exact version, you computer build, your OS version, your language, your screen(s) sizes, every plugin you have installed in the browser and so on. Combine that with geolocation and you can generate a fairly unique hash for exactly you. And God help you if you use your smartphone over the same IP address when home, because now we have the same data of your smartphone, can connect them both and know wherever you are 24/7.

Let me repeat that, every single webpage you visit can identify you personally, if they want to and put in a bit of work to do it. Much easier than what BigSur does.

So please, nobody likes shit like Apple did, but spare us your conspiracies while you are yelling all your personal data into the whole world around the clock.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Have you ever heard of VPN? It's only been around for years now and is used by less-ignorant people than you to hide actual geolocation. Have you ever heard of browser spoofing? No, of course not. Basically these are browser addons/extensions that can completely change the browser agent identifier too. Neither are at all difficult to either discover or use if you can be arsed, though VPN does come at a cost if you want decent surf speed.

Well, at least we all got to see how clued-up you really aren't. Apple really do love super knowledgeable guys just like you...

8. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Browser spoofing/ip isn't really useful unless I am trying to fool a service I am someone I am not or I am scripting some type of brute force attack and want to look like I am coming from different place to avoid being blacklisted. Maybe you really don't want contrailfrogunion.org to know your user-agent/origin but on its own you are not really keeping back anything useful unless you are running on some old as version of IE that is full exploits which nobody targets anymore and for which there are better ways of finding out if someone actually cared enough to render something in your machine. Why would you let someone run benign code on your machine that can identify you - well you came to them for something, not the other way around. Last I checked BigUdderBabes.com wasn't cold calling you at 3:30AM on Tuesday asking if you liked your milk body temperature.

Can even get a pretty decent UID from captcha rendering/response times over time even through different entry points. Why would you identify yourself, because there is something you want behind that captcha, it's images and JS wall. Even then this is fringe use, why bother with all that shit when a smartphone app is so much better at data mining and a smartphone social media app is like pretty much a Bacchanalian orgy of penetration points and personal data.

If you want to actually be invisible use a TOR browser in a VM that you tear down and rebuild every few days into a VPN with multi-hop through at least 2 non data warrant zones and keep comms to bursts under 2mins just in case some organization gives enough of a shit about your pron preferences to packet-trace you through multiple infrastructure gateways. You should avoid any type of repeating visit to places like THIS because if for some reason someone from the tin-foil inducing three letter gang cared enough to find you they would have infrastructure taps, because the internet still runs on physically connected points and your packets have to start/end somewhere. It wouldn't be cheap and it would not be TV show fast but it would get done.

I don't know why you need all that, who knows maybe you go to the grocery store in a full latex body suit inside a grizzly bear suit under a burka with hard lenses over your eyes and only pay in pennies that have been sitting in chlorhexidine for at least a week.

To each his own.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Foobar

Foobar Producer

You must be the new guy. Welcome to the internet! Let me try to give you a short introduction for Microsoft Noobs:

Have you ever heard of a router? Of course not. That's this little box in your house where all your 0's and 1's walk into the internet. On it is a revolutionary new application, you've never heard of, which is called a "firewall". Open a web browser, enter your router's ip, add "ocsp.apple.com" to the block list of the router's firewall and be done with it, if you have panic that anyone might know that someone in the New York area just started a software from Mozilla. And you don't even need to pay money for it or install another fancy browser plugin which may or may not be another security & privacy risk in itself, may or may not work correctly and may or may not break other software from working.

Microsoft users :thumbsup:. There is always some shit they have no clue about but were told to install by a friend. Yet they have no idea about something as basic as their own firewall. You probably have to run more tools, helpers, background processes, plugins & utilities on Windows to even have the most basic security and privacy than any other OS has ever heard of.

10. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

Apple FAIL - BIG SUR BRICKING MACBOOKS

APPLE BIG SUR FAIL - MASSIVE FIREWALL SECURITY PROBLEM

im happy on high sierra:winker:
    no matter what OS my DAW stays offline

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

same here, on top of that I can still use nVidia gpus and LittleSnitch work just fine

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Those are two actually valid issues I've actually read about. I haven't watched the videos because for actual technical things youtbube videos are akin to stone tablets. I am not going to watch some guy ramble on for 20 minutes from everything from the Swampus Beast to Bigfoot to Apple Silicone to Big Sur looking for the relevant 35 seconds.

I am not certain why some Macbooks are getting bricked but it seems to be something that people are reporting and for now it seems to be a real thing.

Also it there seems to be a somewhat serious problem with privileged Apple apps forwarding requests from user applications that have elevated their status to SU bypassing the firewall and this is not a good thing. It isn't a probable thing on a fresh install or one where trustd and ISM are always running, but on an older system that has been updated or one where a user selectively bypasses gatekeeper and self signs it a serious breach of data security.

These are problems with MacOS 11 though I don't know why we keep talking about MacOS 11 when the thread is about a new chip and infrastructure but I guess since they are exclusive to each other it is somewhat fair game.

On an other note and something that is of interest to me personally - Productivity on a given platform.

https://wccftech.com/apple-m1-code-compile-results-as-fast-2019-mac-pro/

[​IMG]

If the low end is performing like this I am excited to see how the mid-high end Apple Silicone chips will perform, I would still like the ability to have a dedicated eGPU and enough USBC/TB4 ports to manage more storage and even if the base ram is soldered in the possibility of a LV4 external RAM on IC would be cool.

I am with you on that one my DAW has no need to be online and it isn't.

13. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

Chris Titus video, he bought Mac Mini 8G Apple M1
    Apple M1 vs AMD 5600X | It's not as cut and dry as you think

• List
  14. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Thank you.

Interesting video, I watched everything except the last 30 seconds which is a record for me. I am not certain where he got the 'everybody is saying the M1 is the best processor out there < . > but the man has to make money and I wont judge him for hyperbole when it generates the reaction he is after.

The comparison to the i59400 @ $165 bucks (or the i5900F which the same CPU with no iGPU @150 and would require an eGPU) is useful. As it is still a tier above the base M1 in the Mac Mini.

M1 (10w) Mac Mini vs 5600X where the CPU alone costs 1/2 of the price of an entire Mac Mini and draws 65w is bit of stretch, yhea a a mid grade Porsche is faster than a Toyota Corolla, but for some reason people don't do comparison videos of those two brand's mid grade and low grade offerings. Those same benchmarks against an AMD 3K series processor would have been useful though as that is the closer competitor to the i5 though still a tier above the MM.

I am still intrigued by the possibilities but I am not really interested in these low end chips. Though a lot of these tests seem to be vindicating Apple's decision to move away from Intel based architecture for both efficiency and compute optimization.

Once again thank you, very useful video.

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

this is an important point to take into account,
    the new Macs with M1 chips are entry-level devices, and since ARM architecture is way better scale-able than Intel/AMD,
    I wouldn't be surprised if next chips would offer no less than 4-8x more performance (especially desktops, with no battery and thermals limitations), and hopefully far more unified memory capacity and more connectivity,

it will all depend on software and hardware devs willingness to adopt new platform, I expect many companies to abandon Macs, but many new devs arise,

exciting times to live in, not so exciting for audio prosumers right now though :dunno:

16. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Among other things, i've professionally integrated & developed complex web systems since the late 90s. I didn't enumerate the many other strategies that can be employed to avoid identity protection, 'cos it's a long list (see @JMOUTTON's satire a few posts back) and ultimately it very much can end-up an exersise in delusive paranoia to get too hung-up on such matters - especially for the general DAW user who knocks about here.

The point is this: as if phone profiling isn't enough already, Apple are the first desktop OS developer to fully integrate chip-level, sub OS data profiling into their kit. Not only do you to appear to think this is OK, but you then go on to blithely advise others to just accept it too... this kind of fatalistic acceptance is precisely what big-tech corporations & their enabling governments need to facilitate their nwo agenda and (therefore) precisely what we nominally free citizens today should be very much be railing against & not carelessly accepting.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  17. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Not to derail - what worries me most about all this is that Apple seem to be moving faster towards making recent tech incompatible. I typically don’t even bother looking at the new girl in town until at least 4-5 years after a hardware upgrade. I have a maxed out mid 2018 MBP. And I’m just a little concerned it won’t be able to run current audio software within 2 years the rate this all seems to be going. Does anyone else hear believe I have a legit concern?

18. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I don't think so,
    Apple folks have clearly stated their goal is to make MacOS a platform, where cpu architecture does NOT matter,
    I can't really tell how much bullshit is that, but maybe they genuinely want to have both ARM and Intel running simultaneously, maybe Intel is not as doomed as people think, and Apple is just releasing another platform to choose from, not a platform to replace Intel with....
    :chilling:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  19. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Yeah, I worked as a plumber too when I was in school. But whatever, you make a pretty paranoid impression.

Do you have any proof of "chip-level, sub OS data profiling"? Because holy cow that's a whole different storyline I haven't heard a word about. We were talking about a very ugly yet still fairly harmless transfer of developer certificates for validation - on the OS level - which would even be fine if Apple would have been open about it and made it optional for the user to decide if he wants this additional security. Secret sub OS, chip level data profiling would be a completely different universe, even more sophisticated than what the Chinese do by "just" implementing chip level backdoors in Windows machines. Or well, depends on what you actually profile and what you do with it, because every hard disk and SSD makes sub OS, chip level data profiling - it's called S.M.A.R.T.

20. plethoraxray

plethoraxray Newbie

Hi ! I think it s important news to know Wine and Codeweavers got to run Windows on M1 Macs...it s a single step for man , one giant leap for installkind.... in my naive opinion it surpass the first obstacle for community....at least you get a very possible installation if go you go using under Rosetta - which seems to be very very fine. If you get a Mini with a i9-like speed processing for 699, well, this can be sweet, I believe, even knowing there will be better choices on future - but expensive - machines.
    Lets see somewere somebody someday some sucessfull instalation and how this succeed.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...itcher-3.2269689/?post=29275118#post-29275118