New Macs shown, Apple Silicon is on the roll, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Nov 11, 2020.

1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

From macrumors:
    "Apple will continue to release software updates for Intel Macs for years after the transition to Apple Silicon, so those who purchase Intel-based Macs can expect to receive macOS updates throughout the life of their machines."
    Throughout? That will be a first! lol.
    Or maybe because the Intel machines will just die quicker!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Klaviernatum

Klaviernatum Member

Quantum Computers are coming... so this will be very interesting to watch aside.

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Smoove Grooves

Manual enabling in Recovery mode?

7. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

That, and people having to dick about with SIP, and I/F settings between TB and USB and so on.

Ok, on the new M1 Macs you have to have Big Sur, but I couldn't see myself doing that on a music computer.

But then again, I'm rarely in rush to update anything unless security related.

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Ok what's all this about the new Macs hehehe. BigSur will constantly silently spy and report on everything you do on an unencrypted transmission to a 3rd party data collector with a contract with Apple and actually is the first OS that makes you believe you don't own your comp since you cannot stop it of doing so. It will bypass LittleSnitch as well as every other VPN. What's even more disgusting, when Apple's servers went down recently, softies with online DRM like Adobe Photoshop would not work no matter what. That's how Apple is rewarding its legit customers. So now it doesn't matter if you paid for that soft, Apple decides if you will use it or not and they can completely prevent you from using an app on your comp anytime they like. Especially now that they are trusted partners of USA's Ministry of Defense, NSA and the likes. And Gods help you if Apple servers go down lol. You gotta be joking if you consider these functional comps.
    All i can say is: Booooooo. Shoo shoo. Fuck BigSure and fuck Apple for all i care.
    As Louis Rossman said, the worst part in all this is that people are still going to buy these.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Foobar

Foobar Producer

No. It's transmitting software certificates to check if they are valid and not a known trojan virus or whatever. Apple already said they will make an opt out option for this soon. However, shortcutting firewalls is indeed still a very bad thing to do, that's a much bigger issue than checking software certificates. That Microsoft is doing this for ages already with Windows 10 doesn't make it any better for Apple. Yet some people are still using Windows 10 and did not yet move to Linux only. Same for people who still use Google Chrome browser.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. Smoove Grooves

The least of our worries!
    Especially when they can just 'switch you off' now, whenever. Obviously accidentally!
    But having apps and my machine ruled over in this way is not good.

Louis Rossman for President!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. TryHard

TryHard Kapellmeister

Any truth to the rumours that 'Big Sur' is secretly a code for 'Big (i.e. 'Mass') Surveillence?' or even 'Big Sir' (as in 'Big Brother' from George Orwell's '1984'?)

Some may say that Apple's infamous '1984' TV advertisement from that very same year (with its matching dystopian Big Brother theme) that first introduced the Apple Macintosh personal computer to the world, knowingly foreshadowed this current eventuality.

Others (with their heads lodged in the sand :winker:) may regard this as mere coincidence.

But as a wise character once stated...

"There are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences"
    -V for Vendetta :bleh:

12. Foobar

Foobar Producer

I don't like this shit either and deactivate it by just blocking apple in my (external) firewall.

But there is a reason for this for casual users, as maybe some noticed just recently with Google deleting a widely used ad-blocker plugin by remote from every Chrome browser. The developer sold his browser plugin to new developers and they used every installation to make money by spamming likes in social networks. Google deleted the plugin by remote from every Chrome installation. Which I think is a valid reason, because there are already more than enough infected PCs spamming the internet out there.

I think the path Apple decided to take now (too late though) to make this an option in the system settings is ok.

However, I still don't like Apple getting around firewalls AT ALL. That's much more of a problem.

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

14. Delay

Delay Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

what is nasty there ? I posted that link to show that RME already have drivers available to test where other companies don't even have applications ready.

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

pretty sure this (quote from RME forum post):

"Installation

With Apple Silicon even native third party extensions can no longer be installed directly. One needs to allow these in a one time process by entering Recovery mode. With Big Sur on Intel hardware: installation should be the same as under Catalina. Otherwise try Recovery mode and manual enabling.

Added: On Apple's developer ARM sample USB 2 audio operation shows issues when the option Short Safety Offset is activated. As the ARM machine operates very reliable even at very low sample buffer sizes this is not seen as limitation, and is under further investigation."

17. monost

monost Member

Just a few history of Mackintosh evolution, start with motorola 68k chips and was a revolutionary maschine, then move to Power PC, then move to Intel Chips and for last mac silicon M1. all the changes are for better performance and state of the art in the past we wait ok but no sign of wrong way, maybe all was since Hackintosh popularity. the need to a exclusive chips like M1. thats all
    I have a lot of iOS apps that will be integrated in the new silicon MAC making more flexiball

18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

hm that doens't sound nasty to me , it sounds just like facts

I wonder how it took until we see synths like DS Thorn, Serum, Avenger native on Apple Silicon, or even how long it takes that we see a native Studio One etc...

19. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

It is always funny with Apple fanboys when they say "Microsoft is spying you !"
    And they don't see Apple is doing exactly the SAME :rofl:
    I don't even speak about Google Android and third party based on it.
    Chinese democraty anyone ?

Always funny to see blind ppl telling others they are one-eyed:winker:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

:no: so, some important piece of information regarding DAW users:

No Mix Or Match Totally Apple Silicon Native Or Totally Under Rosetta 2
    Apple have already explained in their documentation that you have to decide to run your DAW under Rosetta 2 or Natively on Apple Silicon, which means that you will not be able to run Intel-based plug-ins under Rosetta 2 in a DAW that is running natively on Apple Silicon (and vice versa).

Put even more simply, a pro-audio software developer has told us that this means you will not be able to mix and match a Native Apple Silicon DAW with Intel-based plugins.

This means you are going to run everything through Rosetta 2 (DAW and Plugins) until everything you need has been ported over to run natively under Apple Silicon unless there is some kind of process bridge tool made available, as happened with the 32-64 bit transition. All in all, when it comes to the audio production world there are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes.

In terms of what will work on your new Apple Silicon computer, everything should work under Rosetta 2. However, Apple will be making all their own software available to run natively on Apple Silicon Arm-based chips. However, Logic users will have a challenge if you use 3rd party plugins that have not been recoded to run natively.

source: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...on-macs-announced-everything-you-need-to-know

that, ladies and gentlemen, is a deal breaker for audio folks
    :chilling:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List