New Macs shown, Apple Silicon is on the roll, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Nov 11, 2020.

1. WillyA

WillyA Producer

I think that ALL operating systems have back doors for Government surveillance. You also have to remember that in 1970's Novell, patented a system to transmit data OVER THE NATIONAL ELECTRICITY GRID, this was actually used as a spy tool. It could monitor voice as well as computer data, so it doesn't matter what OS you are using, the HARDWARE may also have a built-in backdoor to monitor you as well. Now Google have just bought NEST. Read their so-called 'privacy' statement https://nest.com/legal/privacy-statement-for-nest-products-and-services/ and if you believe a single word of it, you are CRAZY.

It's relatively east to block most of the MS telemetery. W10Privacy does a pretty good job. Kill updates, and employ anti-hack/spam by protecting your computer with a PROPER password, most people can't be bothered to do this, so their computers become a platform for bots and spammers. Simple rules like NEVER and I do mean NEVER opening mail unless you KNOW who it comes from. For businesses like sales this isn't always possible, so good firewalls can help.

I truly believe that many of the virii are actually written and promulgated by the sellers of anti-virus software. I've been in the computer came since computers were invented and I've actually experienced a virus being distributed by anti-virus updates AND distributed by Google in one of it's updates.

Bottom line, there is NO privacy today, ALL computers will have a backdoor for the alphabet agencies. They aren't interested in your pirated software, they want your information to sell to advertisers and spammers, they want your pattern of spending, for tax dodgers, they want your credit card info and your political affiliation and activist status. Am I paranoid? You betcha!

2. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

The unfortunate part is that those backdoors are open to more advanced hackers anywhere in the world so we just granted them access

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

You are 100% sure that Lil Bitch blocks anything from MacOS ? And that there are no mechanisms like in Windoze ? [EDIT: LS cant block telemetry in BigSur anymore]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

5. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Who is going to buy a 16GB max computer ?
    I mean ... SERIOUS buyer ?

I'm probably going to ditch my 32GB limited computer. And it is a 7 years old middle range mobo ...

6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I am really curious how this works out, maybe the new archetecture needs less RAM ?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Yes because it wasn't possible for the OS to get around this. And yes, that's why Apple changed this in Big Sur because they don't want you to make your own decision about privacy vs. extra security. And the US government probably wants more insights on all companies in the world.

We are talking about entry level hardware here. If you don't want entry level, don't buy it.

But yes, Apple hardware sucks. They have only 3 kinds of hardware:

- Entry level low end, blocked from upgrades
    - All in one, no matter if you want it and blocked from upgrades
    - High level at the price of a car

We'll have 2021 soon. Who the hell still wants a 27" monitor with all the great ultra wides out there? And who the hell would want to pay Apple another $1500 premium if they may come up with their own ultra wide and force you to buy it, if you have a very good one already?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

and staying physically offline is precisely the way - increasingly more difficult, but possible
    :chilling:

9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I just knew about the RAM this morning and it completely changes the game, like @KungPaoFist well guesses.
    So the memory is inside the same physical chip as the CPU/GPU. They're still separated inside the complexities of modern chips, let alone this one. Like in iphones/ipads I guess. This exposes my ignorance about mobile architectures.

As benchmarks go the latency of a CGPU integrated RAM sure makes a huge improvement. Is not as if they cheated, but of course the "closed ecosystem" goes even more closed :rofl:
    And it must be very hard to manufacture several versions. So I guess there's no RAM choice, only "price level". Like someone said before, 3 levels of price/performance. Laptops, iMac, Mac Pro or whatever.

10. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

You can build your own Operating System from source, you can even take an easier approach and use open source bundles like LFS/Arch/KALI SE. Then you'll know what is in it and it will never call anywhere.

If you are really worried about privacy, get off the internet, move to a yurt on Lake Baikal marry a big young woman and live a good life.

I've been driving cars for a long time, doesn't mean I understand how they all work in detail. I just know ass goes here - gas goes there. Even though I've been driving cars for long time it does not make better than some kids or denote that I am especially good at it.

We all make choices and we all have to live with those choices. I don't know if this is a result of my newly achieved middle age status but for some reason I've become extremely less tolerant selective memories, braggadocio and hypocritical whinging.

Back on topic.

For now I've only seen that one geekbench report and it does seem that the new m1 chips do a good job on entry level laptops and small devices. This is only one benchmark though and I have feeling that these chips are going to evolve as more and more supporting hardware becomes available.

Time will tell, but it does look promising.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  11. Delay

Delay Guest

M1 MacBook Air & Pro - EXCLUSIVE Apple Interview

12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

one probably most important point - the ultimate end of the journey is to have universal apps, so the user doesn't have to care what cpu they have
    this to me sounds like Apple is not really trying to replace Intel with Apple Silicon, but rather broaden up their platform market across wider range of devices possibly
    :chilling:

• List
  13. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

That is a lofty goal indeed if true. Everyone who's tried a truly abstracted hardware layer and a platform agnostic aplication structure has backed off and forked projects. Even the overambitious JAVA OS is a now a legacy OS that is reserved for SIM/U operations and once eSIM becomes the dominant form of GSM/NRV it will probably die a slow death as well if for no other reason than to cut out the 35 cents a sim card costs.

14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

This is an ingeniuos idea if they can pull it off. Running Animoog on a higher end desk/lap top would be awesome but again, without the touch screen it seems redundant. The only way I see this working is for trackpads to be built in the same multitouch capactivie nature as an iPad or iPhone and have multiple cursors that show you where your fingers are not only pressing and clicking but more importantly, resting on the surface. I'm all for unity and Apple has the ability to pull sh!t out of the bag that blows people away.

15. cyrano

cyrano Member

There's a Reaper special build available...

16. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Wow so everything gets the power of a phone and Ipad. ARM is not ready for desktop yet, and it can take years before it is. I don't see any Mac Pro powered by ARM before 2022 maybe even 2023. And by then both Intel and AMD gonna be much more powerful.

17. Foobar

Foobar Producer

That's extremely optimistic of you because Apple themselves said already they don't see any MacPro powered by ARM at all for the time being. That's why MacPro will continue to be Intel for the foreseeable future.

18. JohnEncore

JohnEncore Ultrasonic

I'll stay on my two ancient (2012) MacPros (6 and 12 core, 48 gb ram each) since there are definitely no issues at all on high sierra; when those fantastic and rock solid machines die, I'll give up - maybe try hackintosh but never ever buy anything from apple again.

19. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Order done: Mac mini! Next Year go to the new iMac! Perfect for Logic Pro! Apples best step since Years!

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

Hoax!