New Macs shown, Apple Silicon is on the roll, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Nov 11, 2020.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I wonder how much cheaper nVidia will go,
    because so far I checked new Microsoft Surface Pro X gen.2 and version with 16GB ram and 500GB ssd costs only little less than new MacBook Pro with 16GB ram and 1TB ssd, which makes Apple actually cheaper, and according to cpu benchmarks about 2.5x faster

2. WillyA

WillyA Producer

It will be grossly overpriced. Unable to add components that aren't from Apple, Unable to add software that isn't from Apple. Unable to upgrade Hard Drives, Memory. Will developers like Presonus support this? I very much doubt it, so it won't matter how many bugs or missing feature there are, you have a choice, Apple, Apple or Apple.

Locked into whatever Apple whims are current. Oh, but it runs faster. If that's your ONLY criteria, get out your wallet.

I remember SUN Sparc. If you wanted to add a Hard Drive, it had to be from Sun. Same drive you could buy for XYZ Euros cost at leat 50% more for the Sun Branded one, but there was NO difference at all.

I remember a company called Mohawk Data Sciences. They sold a cheap (bottom of the range) dot matrix printers for 3 times more than you could buy the same one in any store, but THEIR version had a special chip in it and without the chip, the store one wouldn't work!

NO, NO, NO. I would NEVER invest in something like that. At least with Windows (Linux etc), you can add / upgrade hardware and (at least for the time being) install software from anywhere.

Apple did it witnh Apple ][. Apple III, Lisa and Apple Mac. They have tried hard to lock users into ONLY Apple products since Apple ][. This time they may well succeed.

3. fredboudin

fredboudin Ultrasonic

My previous iMac was late 2007, for me that's a huge step. Amazing ! Core2duo to I7 CPU that's millions time falser !

4. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I only care about NVDIA's ARM CPUs in regard to hackintoshing in the future, once Apple discontinues X86 support. I don't care about any products. Why do you even compare a Surface which has a Touchscreen with a MacBookPro anyway? And which Benchmarks are you refering to? These fake graphs apple usese which don't even have descriptors on their axes? ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ARM chips

6. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

i think my next system will be a hackintosh :/

7. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

ARM chips, good for playing Star Trek Armada from 2000.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

For Windows it would be a long transition indeed. If desktop ARM CPUs succeed, that's it. But considering they already have experimented, that there'll be both motherboards and CPUs created for Apple, that Linux will be decently mature on ARM desktop (it already is on every architecture possible) second only to Apple due to its dynamic nature... I can see it. Time will tell.
    I don't know if you mean MacOS Unix compatibility (or whatever you wanna call it), but keeping MacOS doesn't mean they can't artificially block Linux-like apps.
    I guess the question is if this will make them money. Indirectly, like in current Mac OS.

AMD and ARM use the same prime resource: TSMC nodes (and nVidia from now on). But they come from opposite extremes. One from fast, big and power hungry desktop CPUs and the other from tiny power efficient mobile chips.

Wouldn't that be funny... but if it happens it would the last on the train.

9. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

You're late to the party… once Apple leaves X86 behind, hackintoshing might be over. For now it has been working, because Apple uses Intel CPUs. Once the go all arm and drop X86 code base from macOS it be over and you're stuck on that version.

10. WillyA

WillyA Producer

And, you can dump all the Mac software that you bought into the bin, because that's exactly what happened when Apple "upgraded" from Apple ][ to Apple III.

Then, the few people who were stupid enough to buy Apple III and buy new software, had to dump it again when Lisa and Mac came along, along with all their data.

Aren't Apple "upgrades" fun? - if you are on the hardware and software sellers end anyhow. Even the users crow with delight becase it has a few extra pixels resolution and is marginally faster. Offset by the over complexity of all the bloatware which actually slows working down. Speed is relative. It takes longer now to boot Windows 10 than it took to boot Windows for Workgroups on my old 386. It takes MUCH longer to load Excel, Word etc., and 90% of the "features" no one ever uses.

I built half a Hackintosh on my B250. I gave up trying to find kexts because SIP, MRT, LSD, Trustd Cloudd and Spotlight, kept my disk thrashing for 10 to 15 minutes every time I booted it and until it had finished the system was unuseable. I shudder to think how much information is being relayed to Apple and the alphabet agencies. Then, a huge number of people install Chrome, that weekly takes 90% of your CPU to send a complete inventory of all your software (and God knows what else) to Google. Aren't computers fun?

With this latest bit of news from Apple, I just trashed my VM version of High Sierra and yesterday, I replaced my Hackintosh with Windows 7 as well. I'm done with Apple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

12. WillyA

WillyA Producer

That's why I don't use it and make no mistake, Windows and Apple do exactly the same!

13. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Building today a Hackintosh is the same a buying a Intel Mac today. Weird times, it would feel strange, buying a MacPro today :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. realdannys

realdannys Noisemaker

Lot's of clueless and/or bitter people in this thread. :rofl:

15. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

16. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Didn't Apple already say that the MacPro will stay Intel for the time being? Which means hackintosh isn't going away anytime soon either.

Welcome to the Windows world, because Windows was never able to block the OS from phoning home. There was never a Little Snitch for Windows. Fix for both: use an external Firewall.

Possible other fixes for macOS in the Future (not for Windows, sorry):

- Let's see if Little Snitch finds a way.
    - If you use a hackintosh you can do whatever the hell you want with the OS as you have full power over pretty much everything. The hackintosh community may just find a way to patch it out.

17. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Rubbish. You can block it with your hosts file or better use Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control. I've been running Studio One on Windows 7 and now Windows 10 since v4

18. Foobar

Foobar Producer

You shouldn't talk about "rubbish" when you obviously don't even understand the topic.

There is no Little Snitch on Windows. Yes, you can block IPs and even most software but you can't stop Windows itself from phoning home without an external hardware solution.

You can continue to block software on macOS Big Sur just as before, very comfortable with Little Snitch. Similar to what you do on Windows.

What you could do on macOS before Big Sur is not just blocking any Software from phoning home but also blocking the operating system itself from phoning home to Apple. This was possible because EVERYTHING had to use the same way to communicate with the internet, including the OS itself and Little Snitch was able to block it right there. Everything. This isn't possible on Windows and never was, Windows will phone home to Microsoft no matter what you do. And now it isn't possible on macOS Big Sur anymore either.

Studio One isn't an operating system, it's a DAW software. You can block that all you want on either OS.

19. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

MacPro uses Xenons, does that mean that if you build a hackintosh your hack MacPro has to run on Xenons. I don't know a lot of about Hackintosh but the SMBIOS that emulates AppleBootRom has to fit base hardware that Apple actually used? Maybe not because Apple never released an AMD anything and I see people doing AMD Hackintoshes.

Anyway Apple is still going to make Intel Macs for at least an other 3 years and support them for at least an other 5-7 years. Who knows what the world will be like in 5-7 years. Having going through the PowerPC -> Intel switch I can tell you the downside is not going to be support related, it is going to be software related. In two or three years new software an updates are going to be ARM packages only. Which is OK if you are happy with what you have because it will still work. For developers that use XCODE or the CLANG compiler the transition is not going to be that painful. For others on other popular compilers it is going to hurt a bit until things get up to date.

He was talking about Windows itself calling home, since XP SP2 regardless of what you put in your hosts file:

www.msdn.com, msdn.com, www.msn.com, msn.com, go.microsoft.com, msdn.microsoft.com, office.microsoft.com, microsoftupdate.microsoft.com, wustats.microsoft.com, support.microsoft.com, www.microsoft.com, microsoft.com, update.microsoft.com,
    download.microsoft.com, microsoftupdate.com, windowsupdate.com,
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com

These FDQNs are hardcoded in the following DLL: %WINDIR%\system32\dnsapi.dll

But because MSs Layered Netwrok stack you can still block these FDQNs with a firewall. Apple is supposedly adding kernel level bypass for its own services for calls home or w/e, however they are not going to half-ass it like MS a software firewall will not stop these connections as they will be made outside of the scope and permissions of a firewall app. An external firewall is going to be the only option if you want to block connections to Apple servers.

Good part is every ONT/cable modem/Router I've had since 2010 has had a configurable firewall and DNS rerouting.

20. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I don't think we can make any assumptions yet. How is Unified RAM correlated with the foreign processor + 8core gpu? Dafuk is Unified RAM anyway?? It's not logical to draw conclusions based on completely unrelated technology. I'll give it a chance since I get the feeling they are trying to advance the tech.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List