New Macs shown, Apple Silicon is on the roll, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Nov 11, 2020.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

MacBook Pro M1 Geekbench score: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4652718

I can see single core score about same as Ryzen 5950X, that doesn't seem that sad...

2. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

if you bought iMac, then there's no Apple silicon iMac by now, I'm pretty sure it'll take 2 more years at least for Apple to come up with some refined iMac which would really shine in DAW workflow, and even by that time, I don't think most audio plugin devs will adopt Apple silicon optimizations or just sheer compatibility,
    I'd say you did right thing going for Intel Mac if you need it for actual work right now

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Sounds almost too good to be true, doesn't it. I really hope they are and we Windows users can enjoy them in a few years. Another CPU/GPU revolution in the same year, this is nuts :rofl:

This is a short video about two known YToubers saying his thoughts about these benchmarks (already posted in other very similar thread) Interesting.

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I hope apple someday release a Mac Maxi :) which sits between the MacPro and Mac Mini where people can add their own cards and drives. But I doubt that will ever happen :/

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

as a matter of fact, Microsoft has Surface Pro X running SQ1 ARM chip for over year now, and they just launched second gen with SQ2 ARM now - revolution cannot happen on Windows platform, because Microsoft is not controlling the whole ecosystem (unlike Apple),
    few years from now, I'm pretty sure ARM will dominate even Windows market, but transition will be far slower than with MacOS, given the software compatiblity,

of what I understand so far, this released M1 chip cannot even handle more than 1 thunderbolt controller, 10Gbit ethernet, more than 1 external display (apart from HDMI on Mac Mini, which means 2 monitors max), and it appears external gpus aren't supported either, so I don't think there's a chance for PCIe and SATA support at all :no:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

Benchmarks mean NOTHING!
    Real life has proven again and again that Apple is all about marketing.
    Now, some limitations that Apple had "forgot" to mention:
    The same 720p camera (Because a 1080p costs only 2 cents more)
    NO support for eGPU
    (again) Only 2 USB-C
    16 GB de RAM is the maximum that you can get for a price 7X bigger than just getting normal RAM
    NO boot camp

And more will be known as soon someone gets one to check all those limitations and Apple Benchmarks.

7. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

How abot using 2 or even 4 M1 chips in one Computer ?

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I doubt that,
    sure there will be M2, M3, M4 etc... but I don't think they will just stack chips together, it would be inefficient (similarly as using multiple graphics cards in SLI/Crossfire)

9. Foobar

Foobar Producer

Same here.

I use an ultra widescreen monitor now. I have absolutely no use for any other small monitor. So iMacs are completely useless to me. Mac Mini is too weak and Mac Pro way too expensive.

I need a computer for work. It needs to be fast und if something breaks, like a PSU, SSD or Ram, I'm used to order a replacement which gets delivered within 3 hours to my door, replace it and go on working. I won't pay 10x the price for the "honor" to take the computer to a "genius" bar and wait 3 weeks for the fix or someone telling me it's more expensive than paying for a new one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

No Photoshop till 2021.... and no more open source and free software.
    developers are going to be curated but only after they make a big payment up front.
    way to go apple!:rofl:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

think different and then dont think at all, do as you told! :rofl:
    #stillnonvidiadrivers

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  12. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

You realise the benchmarks everyone is talking about are Geekbench and have NOTHING whatsoever to do with Apple?

Maybe check facts before usual anti-Apple rant.

13. nenocloud

nenocloud Member

Mind you, these machines are entry level tbh. Also they didn't change the designs because this is their testing phase of the transition. None of what they released right now, is where they imagined ARM to go. This is the iPad user equivalence of the market they are targeting with these first few computers. We have been hearing too many rumours about mini-led, 14 inch airs, and the comeback of the infamous keyboard. In 2 years, I think that's when they will release their complete new line of macs with all ARM, all new design, including those 1080p cameras, and virtual machine that will replace bootcamp and will be better - this lineup will be serve to 90% of current mac user demographics.
    Don't believe me, this is the 1% industry they just changed with the new mac minis - the mac mini server farms. They will replace all their mac minis with the new ones cuz it will save them so much money on cooling yearly - not to mention speed. Expect to see lots of mac minis be resold in the market soon.
    Apple don't do revolution 99% of the product releases. They do evolution mostly, and this is the beginning of it. Personally, I dont care if it has a low quality camera or 2 ports. I can buy a macbook air for portability and mini for production both even cheaper than the 16 inch macbook pro - and still outperforms it. This flips the whole industry and if you keep complaining, you're missing the point. Oh, did I mention now you get twice the amount of battery (200% increase) for the same physical size?

14. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Is the new 13inch MBP better than the latest (2019) 16inch MBP to run stuff like Diva etc.?

Damn I wish they upgraded the 16inch MBP today as well, do you think it will come in the early months of 2021?

15. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Do you know what would be a deal breaker for me if I would be an active mac user?
    That every hardware is soldered to the board. You can upgrade nothing... so if you need more memory
    or anything else, you have to buy a new machine instead of buying more memory.

That makes it even more expensive than buying the already 5 times more expensive ram modules from Apple.

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

no need for nVidia drivers when there's no eGPU support :no:

17. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

No, that's incorrect. Apple executives have already stated that macOS is not iOS, they won't merge it (as others here in this thread thought wrongly). MacOS maintains as it has been for many versions now, you can install 3rd-party software from outside of App Store, you just need to turn off that restriction (that was built in the system for dummies to protect them and their mac).

And about the new processor, that is really a big step forward already. But that's not a surprise, Intel screwed it for many years now. Look at AMD how they have over-passed Intel chips in performance and efficiency (ok, mostly due to the 7nm production benefits).

In these macs the main question – besides of display support - is how it will handle audio drivers, as it has been the issue for many earlier OS generations back since Mavericks.
    The same happened with Win7 and Win10. It's mostly because of these shitty manufacturers like Avid that just focuses on their latest gadgets and has dropped update-support for legacy devices produced by M-Audio that Avid had bought. The same has happened with other audio interface developers. Either you don't upgrade your computer or you have to buy a new sound card every 2 years.

Now, about legacy software: as these new macs (even this first iteration) are faster than most previous macs, through the Rosetta 2 app perhaps they can run fast enough until the developers grab their balls and release their new version.
    The only good news is that Apple let them be motivated, it's up to the developers. Because writing the codes for this new mac version makes it easy to make the version for iOS and vice versa. These are not entirely the same, although they say you can run iOS apps on Big Sur.

And Microsoft is planning to release its Windows version for ARM soon.
    Adobe is releasing PS in a few months.

I think within a year there will be appropriate new software version of all significant developers for Apple SoC macs.
    Be patient!
    And we already know what happens with a developer who sticks with legacy system, like how it happened with Quark after the transition to Intel. Or how it almost happened with MakeMusic that stuck with 32-bit code for so many years, providing a gap for competitors.

Edit: writing this on my mac with El Capitan that can't already run Kontakt v6.1+.

18. nenocloud

nenocloud Member

Yes, this will probably be one of the biggest letdowns of a mac system. But looking at their release of the Mac Pro cheesegrater, I have hope that they will at least create an upgradable computer for the 1% creatives who uses the Mac Pro. But other than that, I also hope more people and legislature push for Right to Repair. In Massachusetts, I heard there's some sort of agreement now that right to repair should be a law. So, if it's going in that direction, even if Apple solders eveything to the board, you should have "access" to how to repair them or upgrade them to some extent. Apple will continue their business model of the iPhones and iPads with the new Macs. But if right to repair becomes a thing, all customers win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

no more macOS on nvidia pascal cards, you know what i meant fellow hackintosher:hifive:

20. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

3 different Types of Computers with the same CPU but 3 differnt prices. None of them user-upgradable whatsover.

So, in the end the new MacMini base-model starting at 700 Eurio will cost you 1980 Euros within 2 clicks by add in ram and storage to be maxed out, which is ridiculous.

The worst thing about it is: Apple fan boys without any knowledge about computer technology come along to defend this type of customer rape. Don't get me wrong: I use macOS all day on my Lenovo Laptop as well as on my i9 10 core desktop. But I can't fuck with Apple products. It's a scam.

Can't wait for Nvidia competing with them over ARM technology.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List