New Macs shown, Apple Silicon is on the roll, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Nov 11, 2020.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

congratz sir! keep us posted with goods and bads of the new platform experiences :mates:

2. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Still not sure if I should get a Mac Mini or Mac Book Air

Alchemy is quite nice either.

The only thing I dislike under Logic at the moment is that some Plugins (eg Alchemy) arent ready for Scaling, anything look pixelated

3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

to be perfectly honest, neither,
    Apple will be releasing hopefully something stronger, which means either better performance for the buck, or these lower-end models dropping in price at least a bit,
    it's also likely major devs will run into some technical/hardware limitations and Apple may do some under-hood changes in next generation of Apple Silicon Macs

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

well that depends on what you are looking for. The M1 is faster than my current computer so it will be sufficient.

5. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

The last Macbook M1 review i seen, it was throttling down to 50% due to 100 degrees thermals ...
    Epic FAIL !
    What's the point to make a so called "powerful CPU" if it is throttling after 1 MINUTE load due to bad vent ?
    I don't even speak about FAN NOISE
    This first Macbook M1 is a total fail.

Just for ppl showing their last laptop at Starbuck :rofl:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. jink

jink Noisemaker

Hmm... you'd better cough up a link to that last [legit? in-depth?] M1 review you saw.
    For one thing, the MacBook Air has no fan. Famous Zen Koen: "What is the sound of no fan spinning?"
    Secondly, with most real-world tests I've seen, the fan on the M1 MacBook Pro runs far less and far later than the previous Macbook Pros and typically at much lower (quieter) speeds and typically never needs to thermal throttle at all. In tests, under heavy loads, the Air typically only trails the Pro by ~10-15%. Not bad at all.

In truth, they are remarkable for a first release on a new architecture - an amazing bang-for-the-buck. Most audio-based reviewers/testers are blown away. Depending on your scenario, they might be a great choice even today - especially if you're a Logic Pro user and your Audio Interface has compatible drivers. But you need to do your homework to find out if compatibility is good enough with the hardware and software you use right now. And if you're heavily sample-based, the 16GB RAM limit might be an issue - or if you need more than two monitors - then you'll likely want to wait to see what the higher-end machines coming in the next year will support. From early reports, the higher-end macs coming look like they might be just as remarkable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

I'm not a big fan of Intel either (my 2018 i5 model is fine but can heat sometimes and doesn't do so well with too many instances of Diva for instance, but a faster and newer i7 with lots more RAM will be just what I need for my current use) but no choice since the M1 doesn't support Catalina. It will do fine for the 2-3 years I'll be using it and then I'm sure the next M1 (M2?) chips will be flawless and the warez teams will have figured how to crack Big Sur applications.

In my experience, not rushing to the newest OS is a must, I've had too many bad experiences when upgrading too fast - just my two cents.

8. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

You call this noise "no fan" ?

Listen at 5:00
    It is an airplane ... and the mic is not even in front :rofl:

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

she's good, her videos are useful, decent info on hackintosh stuff as well :wink:

PS: no fan is a matter of MacBook Air, which Moonlight mentioned above your post, so there's the confusion I guess

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

attempting to erase system disk on M1 Macs and doing clean MacOS install results in bricking the Mac, very professional :rofl:

11. jink

jink Noisemaker

Not to offend, but...she's running a sustained 100%-100% cpu-gpu load rendering video using specific codecs on a beta version of DaVinci. This is called "cherry picking" and IMHO this particular post verges on click-bait. To me, it seems primarily geared toward advertising her business to the least discerning. Examining the low-brow replies she makes to commenters who reasonably rebut her misleading video would easily draw into question her integrity and suitability as a reviewer (among other things).

My summary of her video:
    Assuming the temperature sensor software is accurate and so on, if you find a way to pin both the CPU and GPU on the M1 13" Macbook Pro at the same time for a sustained period, the temperature sensor will reach an average temperature of about 95 deg Celsius and the fan eventually spins up to full speed after a few minutes of this. Her conclusion is that the full speed fan is loud and that these temperatures will likely shorten the lifespan of the laptop. Then she goes on to claim that all other reviewers - many who've done in-depth real-world testing - are dishonest accept for her and insinuates that the M1 is faulty.

There are so many alarm bells here that I don't where to start. She's really not for the discerning - just a girl trying to make a living any way she can.

Users here would much better be served by checking out the numerous reviews done by audio industry folks. Just type "M1 Audio" in the YouTube search field and off you go...

12. jink

jink Noisemaker

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

14. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Haha early M1/Big Sur owners are like Covid-19 vaccines early guinea pigs, very funny to watch :))

15. jink

jink Noisemaker

16. Jorge Pablo

Jorge Pablo Noisemaker

Has anyone tested succesfully 3rd party plugins on M1 Macs? (Cracked versions) Like FabFilter, Melodyne, etc

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

:no: I'm waiting for 2nd gen Apple Silicon Macs, these "entry-level" models are absolutely useless for my needs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Watch here at 14min, testing entry-level 2019 16inch Intel vs 2020 13inch M1 with Logic:

Damn can't believe how Intel gets raped (watch the video from 6min on for Geekbench 5 comparison stats). Shame we're gonna have to wait a couple years till we can move on with M1X/M2 MBP safely.

19. cyrano

cyrano Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Thank you for posting this, I was about to buy an mac mini m1 last holidays due to the great reviews.
    I am happy that I didnt bought one now, did you read the other M1 related issues ?
    Bluetooth broken, random reboots etc ? Suxx

luckily it seam that I finally learned the lesson to be no early buyer after being once a G5 ‚tester‘ decades ago.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021