New Mac, but which one?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by musicislife, Feb 18, 2016.

1. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

I am waiting for the new Mac Pro with an Intel Skylake processors 2016 model they're taking a long time release it just like they did for 2013 it took a long time to but I'm waiting for that one Skylark processors supposed to be 40 percent horsepower and it will have Thunderbolt 3 and the new USB C connection

2. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

How much money do you want to throw away... Not going to go all windows here but the studio I work for uses mac's and logic X as well as the newest Pro-Tools and eveything on mac takes longer to do. Not to mention lack of vst support by basically EVERY mac daw. I keep on telling the studio to duel boot windows on the macs. And they wonder how i get so much done at home but it takes me forever in the studio.

Also downside for macs all propitiatory. Something fails on a pc you buy a new part and move on.

Even on the pro mac side what are you using it for? Unless your doing heavy load libraries or literally recording and assembling 80+ individual tracks in a single song any modern mac will do what you want trying to get a fancier mac wont really help much except for high load 64bit plugins [aax since protools would have to be used since logic X doesn't seem to understand the concept of plugins...]

So if you're dead set on mac get the cheapest one. Unless your running a whole band of libraries combined with an orchestra, piano synths and enough instruments that would make a gaming computer crawl to its knee's you're probably not doing anything the cheapest mac can't handle.

3. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

And before considering my advice know my mother worked at apple most of my life, I grew up on apples from the apple 2e to the 2gs, to the first mac to every incarnation. I've blown up more mac's in my childhood than most have ever owned. But when it comes to music even I had to come to realize mac's may be great for graphic design and video editing when it comes to audio the programs kill the whole thing. And pro-tools is a joke and logic X without vst support is pointless. Garage band shouldn't even be mentioned more than anything but a whimsicle joke. so. yeah...

It's like how Mac and games are. Even when you get a port or they come out with a game native to mac, its never as cool as the pc counterparts their ripping off. Jus sayin

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

i'm not biting on this age-old debate, but you make me think all the records I have made with mac's I guess never happened.

5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

6. beatroot

beatroot Producer

7. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Either of the Westmores (the 2012 Mac Pros you mentioned). Both have Thunderbolt (the only pre-Mac Trashcan models to feature TB), come stock with a Superdrive and three hard drive bays, so you have plenty of room to expand. You want a 1TB system drive, a 1TB SSD for sample libraries (since exceeding your max number of writes won't be an issue there, but speed will be) and a 2TB 7200 rpm secondary drive for audio/video projects and documents. The new iMac will be obsolete within five years, probably about the same lifespan as a latter-day Mac Pro … Apple's gotten pretty sad in recent years, and this is coming from a lifelong Mac user.

8. gokkyofficial

gokkyofficial Ultrasonic

dont forget Win10 is on fire with WNAND SSD reading speed 2500 mb/s writing speed 1500mb/s

9. Gnib

Gnib Producer

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 2012, i7 with 1 TBharddisk, removed the DVD-writer/player to be replaced for a 256 SSD and put 8Gb extra RAM.

10. recycle

recycle Guest

According to this post, this is the situation:

• Apple isn’t (anymore) the for workstation for pro multimedia people

• Windows (with any hardware) can’t be a solid and reliable machine for pro, but it’s ok for low profile people.

• Hackintosh? From what I read, it has the worst of both worlds

• Linux ubuntu? very stable, but lack of pro software

Is there an exit strategy?

11. Noodlez123

Noodlez123 Newbie

I highly recommend you get yourself a Hackintosh!

I built my first i7 5820k 6 core recently for £1200 which was surprisingly easy and benchmarks the same score as the Mac Pro Trash Can which costs £3,500!

Will never buy another Mac Pro again!...