New Library Recomendations

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by jefft, May 5, 2019.

1. jefft

jefft Producer

Ok, I have Studio One 4, and NI Mashine. Now I also have about 100 dvds of samples that over the years I just plonked onto a seperate hard drive and basically cataloged them by name only ie e:samples/ shroom/ shroomelicious this worked Ok for me in the past. But now having just purchased Maschine I would like a more informative way of organising my samples ie kicks/snares/hats, etc and was wondering which is the best way to do it and what sort of catagories to use. My samples are loops drums synths, fx generally all catergories..I understand it will be very time consuming but wondering which way to start. Any help or advice will be considered. TIA

3. playtime

playtime Rock Star

One way is to start by installing Loopcloud sample manager. Or ADSR Sample Manager. Both have almost all sample categories built in the app. They can scan all of your samples and sort them by categories, add tags, BPM, key etc...
    Hope this helps, cheers!
    Play

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

:deep_facepalm:
    what a waste of time and energy

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jefft

jefft Producer

Tzzsmk ??????? Why a waste of time, can you sugest anything better?

6. jefft

jefft Producer

Tzzsmk, why? Can you please sugest something a little more posative.

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

This comment is certainly a waste....

@jefft let's forget this comment and go on with your research. I'm sure you're not the only one interested in this.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. jefft

jefft Producer

Actually I'm curious to see why Tzzsmk said what he did, sometimes posatives come from a negative comment, I'm open to all, but just curious as to why he thinks its a waste of time and energy.

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ah sorry for my rather prudently vague post,
    let me try explain in a bit more detail why so:

proper "database" frankly requires some sort of media asset management software,
    in larger-scale enterprise deployment that would probably mean some server-based solution, running dedicated storage pool and host software pool, both virtualized eventually, this all completely mirrored in some way to prevent any valuable data loss, database corruption etc..

things to consider are hardware reliability and actual access from whatever device you need (computer? laptop? windows device? mac device?) password-protected user access and protection against undesired changes (done by malware, misconfiguration etc..),

it makes no sense to do some manual sorting in folders using generic file manager, because you always reach a point where certain file matches multiple definitions (tags, categories etc..) and you realize there is no correct path to store such files, hence why database is more friendly way in the long run,

basically you crave for something like Adobe Lightroom but for audio files, you can immediately see a major disadvantage being continuous fear of licensing problems, believe me there is nothing worse than literally loosing entire database just because the files are some sort of unreadable binary catalogs, despite having all relevant files stored in safe location,

moreover, remaining question would be how to actually access and treat the files, would you reimport chosen files back to your DAW computer to work with them, making the process relatively slow, or access the files directly and risk potential modification or loss?

this all seems like too much hassle to me, for just storing some samples you might use only few times your entire life I guess

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

hi jefft, why not an hard disk 4 T like Seagate Backup usb3 ? you take some time for tranfer from dvd but is faster for work.

11. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Resonic is looking promising on this, yet the autotagging/metareading is unavailable, but should be on next update..
    That usb3 HD sounds pretty good option for back up. I also still have lots of stuff on DVDs, but also on old spare HDs

12. recycle

recycle Guest

in hard drive as in life, the starting point is always the same: trash everything that is not strictly necessary. usually when you have room to maneuver, the solution comes out easier

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Option 1:
    Use Tags inside Maschine's Library Database to categorize your samples. Machine has excellent Tag management which goes like 3 levels deep. Take a Bassdum for example. It's organized by "Type" (Drums) > Kick (sub-category) and "Character" (type of Kick in this example). Unfortunately, you have to import your Samples first (browse to the folder/disk and right click "Import to Library") in order to be able to tag them. The Import function just ads the samples to the library database – the physical file remains at the original locaction and is not copied over. Yet still, the tagging is a very tideous and annoying process – indeed a waste of time and energy, imo.

Option 2:
    I just add the path to the Folders of the Samples you want to use as a Favorite in the Browser (Files Tab).It appears on top of the browser as a Button with the Location Name and is then browseable. But no tags can be assigned or filtered.

Which option you choose all depends on what preferance for finding samples you have: are you a by Tag guy, or a locaction guy? I am the latter. Inside Maschine, only my drum samples are actually added as favorites. I just know my folder structure and browse tthis way. I rarely use Tags. But I also rarely browse using the controller. I also never re-use any any shot samples in my beats. So all the shit I sample stays within the Project Folder.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  14. jefft

jefft Producer

Thank you tzzsmk, for your explanation, if a tad long winded, but in saying that , very informative and helpful.I think that I would use 5teezo's option 1, as this seems to fit my working methods, I have all my library initially saved to dvd, then transfered to a seperate internal hard drive, then saved in maschines database, which is backed up monthly to an external drive. So everything is in place, its down to deciding how to catalogue them within maschine. Thanks for all your help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

16. jefft

jefft Producer

Lol.. Just spent a couple of days using Maschine browser software, I'm about half way through cataloging my library, and its looking good, Sononym looks great but I think i'll pass on that. I'm a firm believer in keeping things to a minimum on my computer, if I can do a job on one program rather than several interacting programs, I'm happy. Software developers tend to use workarounds and extra programs rather than fix the problem initially at the source.The machine browser seems to be working for me, thanks once again for all your input.