New keyboard to take advantage of Reaper's deep functionality

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by returnal, Feb 25, 2017.

1. returnal

returnal Rock Star

So I am four days into Reaper, and already I want a larger, better keyboard to take advantage of all this functionality and key commands I am customizing. All I have at the moment is one of those dinky little wireless Apple keyboards that comes with an iMac. I haven't actually bought an external keyboard since I was a Windows user in the 90s. So I am open to any and all suggestions of what will serve me best.

3. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

New keyboard, Computer keyboard or Midi controller?

4. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Sorry. Computer keyboard. MIDI controllers I'm well versed on, but the land of current Apple compatible computer keyboards (preferably wireless), is unknown to me. I've been researching what's out there this evening but haven't yet landed on anything that looks like a sure hit.

5. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

The Logitech devices should work fine on Mac and they have some pretty descent stuff

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Yeah, I've been combing over them. I thought that this would be easy, but it seems every one that's a contender has or lacks one feature that's a bummer. Not OSX compatible, not wireless, has a stupid stand built-in for an iPad, doesn't have the number pad, runs off of solar power (my studio has zero natural light and only a few, dim, tungsten fixtures) . . . or it's not released yet and only available on pre-order! I might just try this solar thing though and see if it can survive in the upside-down that is my studio - Logitech K750

I wish I could just go wired, but I have a monitor built into the top of my desk (where I put my mixer window) and don't want a wire running across it.

7. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

8. returnal

returnal Rock Star

9. Willum

Willum Rock Star

I will never buy any keyboard that doesn't have mechanical switch's, been using a qpad for about 5 years now and its still in perfect condition, a real joy to type on.

10. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Yeah, I'm starting to think about going wired (by placing a small hole in my desk just in front of my embedded monitor to drop the cable through), so I can have a mechanical keyboard. I like the looks of this one:
    http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional-for-mac/?siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-508WgElCvl00sbAUkyiTUg

11. Willum

Willum Rock Star

That uses the noisiest switches, i use the Cherry red switches.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

12. wonderchild

wonderchild Member

Hi @returnal ,

Hope it's all good. If you decide to go with a mechanical keyboard I would suggest you do a small research. There are different types of switches (brown, red, speed etc.) and they are all different (noise level - some are very noisy, activation point etc.). So it's better to see what you like the most. As an (ex) gamer I tried a few mechanical keyboards but I see that you want the keyboard for your DAW. So I guess you want many programmable keys. Anyways, the DAS keyboard for me rn it's the best BUT it's very expensive (around 200+ euros). Corsair has for me the best mechanical keyboards, so look it up. High quality and well built keyboards. All the mechanical keyboards are different from the normal ones. It will take you some time to get used to it but once you do you'll never look back. Generally speaking their price goes from 60 (maybe less) to 200+. To me it's a great investment. They last a lot longer, typing in these keyboards is simply awersome and many many other good things. Have a nice day :shalom:.

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

14. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Like I said, there's always something!!!

15. returnal

returnal Rock Star

@wonderchild Thanks for the tips. I'll look into Corsair.

16. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

ALL YOU REALLY NEED si a normal extended kbd with numpad so you can 2/8 move up/down selected clips. That is all. no need for expensive shit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Willum

Willum Rock Star

18. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

19. Willum

Willum Rock Star

20. returnal

returnal Rock Star

In the end I decided that my keyboard had to be wireless - so this eliminated pretty well every mechanical switch option. I decided to try out the Kanex that @bluerover suggested (Kanex multi sync aluminum keyboard). It's slim, which is necessary for my setup and does the job. The keys aren't the best, and sadly it can't use the function keys as function keys without holding the function button (with the Apple keyboard you can change this in preferences, but not so with the Kanex). Otherwise it meets my needs for now.
    [​IMG]

21. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual