New Job, No Motivation

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by J Addison, Oct 6, 2017.

1. J Addison

J Addison Kapellmeister

So I got a new full time job, only work 5 days a week but do a lot of over time. after work I get home cook my dinner, watch abit of tv and am fucked.. really got no time or energy, well, motivation to make music. Any advice? Thanks

3. spyfx

spyfx Guest

hi my friend.
    With respect please read....
    Relax and let it be.You are unique and special.You don't need motivation.You don't need energy.Energy flows without motivation.
    You need inspiration.....where to find it you may ask me....
    IT is already in you...don't believe me ?
    Have a look at your signature one more time : but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
    Hope this helps :wink::bow:

4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

be happy. this WILL charge your motivation, but, right now your mind is busy with all the new. you could have all time in the world and still not have any motivation, that is actually the most common situation. and been at home with no real connection with real life is a real bad situation for everything and specially for art. my guess is you will have your best time, just give it a while

5. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

should start some sport activity to raise your general energy level, indoor climbing is quite good it needs full concentration so quite good refreshing to the brain (can drew it from the daily routine)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

7. E.C.R

E.C.R Platinum Record

you work for life and for your studio , not the other way around :]

8. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

I know exactly what you mean. Don't drink or do drugs as much as possible and keep a stock of green tea when you plan to write music. You probably won't get much done on work nights so don't stress yourself and shoot for creating on your time off. The first day of weekend you might be too tired to write so relax and maybe listen to some music for inspiration. If it takes a month to write a song thats ok but keep at it. I worked full time for 6 years and spend all my money on drink and drugs not making music while telling myself I was going to work in in the industry eventually, ..woke up one day stressed, broke, and writing worse music then a before I started. Then quit and suffered for years as a struggling starving artist so whatever you do don't be like that. Save or invest every penny so that if you decide to pursue music you have the financial means to. ..Sorry if I read too deep into your question, I was catching flashbacks... :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Firstly you want one of these

new_macbook_pro_2016_review_1000b_thumb.jpg

Next, get a pair of these

11965118-Funny-eyeglasses-Stock-Photo.jpg

Now, whilst you're sitting down at work etc etc..

Can you see where I'm going with this?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. saltwater

saltwater Guest

as you already said, its about time and energy, i don't think you need motivation.
    we only have a certain amount of time and energy available, your already working hard + overtime, there is just nothing left to use for music.

day 6 and 7, either get wasted every WE, eat sleep repeat, or dedicate that window to make music.

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Had a job like that, worked also weekends-sundays, was chronically tired, that year i did zero music. After one year i said sayonara.
    The only positive thing was the money, that was my only motivation, though eventually you know that if you keep pursing this, that one year turns into ten years.
    Get a lot of vitamins, L-glutamine, amino acids, avoid sweets and sugar drinks as they will drain your energy out.
    Start searching for another job immediately.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

and should learn to play on some instrument, if u are in trance then Danny sells great sheets

https://sellfy.com/DannyRayel

constantly learning new pieces also needs full concentration so great relaxation to the brain from the daily piece of s*t

13. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Sounds to me like music isn't yet your PASSION. When it does become your passion you will get straight to your music when you get home. Create more time for yourself by buying microwave dinners cutting down cooking time, and don't watch TV, especially News because it's all Horror theatre designed to keep you anxious and more tired to think. Where there's a will there's a way. Now discover the will and the rest will take care of itself.

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

get your sex lfe best as possible

15. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Honestly that is fun for a bit but when you stop being about to cum with some partner you start to realize you're fucking up

16. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I guess setting a goal a looking ahead to it can keep you motivated. From your words I can tell the day will come when you get fed up with it and call it quits. Until that day comes think of your current situation as a springboard for the things that come ahead. Working your ass off just for money is a bitch, but you know that being broke can set you back as much. If the money is good, make it a goal to save up for your dream equipment: monitors, mics, a great hardware synth, a beffed-up laptrop, whatever rocks your boat. You won't be able to play it as often as you'd want, but seeing that you've invested your sweat and tears in what you love will get you going. That's why you'll wake up every morning to go to work. One day, when you decide you had one too many days at work, you'll have something to get back to music to. If you play it smart, you could set up a recording studio to find work when you're done busting your ass. Trust me. This is experience talking. When I was younger, I had a well paying 9-to-5 job and I thought it'd last forever. I threw it away in parties, booze, chicks, and when the gig was over, I was back to square one. Nada for the future. That's the day I decided I'd have a recording studio, out of a missed opportunity.

I hope you find your way, buddy.

Peace

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

J Add, I dunno how old you are moosh but if you are getting on a bit the fact is that your energy levels start to deplete, you start to notice it from around 50 with a fairly large drop off at 60, and it doesn't get any better as time goes by obviously, so first you have to do what you can to keep em up which isn't as easy as many above seem to think, sleep exercise,food, low stress/anxiety can all help but nothing stops time so.....Managing your energy and expectations as you age are key.

I kinda think about it like this, I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was....

I've got a hunch that maybe you're a little depressed? That won't help energy levels.......and if thats the case maybe go see a doc?

Take care moosh, yer still in the game.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Unirorm

Unirorm Producer

• List
  19. Hey @J Addison .. depending on what the responsibilities of your job are, there might be a way of mixing in creating music in a parallel fashion during the work day. I know because although I was working a poundingly hard and fairly mindless factory job before I injured myself whilst trying to bring home enough money for my family, I was able to keep a small notebook or folded up pieces of paper to write down lyrics. And because the fucking machines pumping out plastic bottles were so damn loud was also able to sing throughout the day, letting the cacophony drown out my voice deep in the well of my self made misery, deep in the hell hole of my despair. Some of my fellow and sister worker bees thought that I was nuts but others thought it quite interesting, the boss types leaving me be as my work was not compromised from my creative endeavors. I was able to find a bunch of stanzas amongst the seemingly bleak terrain of my surroundings. It helped me rise above the shit that at times felt at the level of my chin and still slowly rising, wanting to suffocate my being.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Hey mate, you are not alone!

Quite some years ago I've been in a similar situation. Producing more than 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Had no time or energy for any kind of hobby or friends during the week and on the WE I had to care for my apartment do shopping slept and tried to regain some energy.
    I know people who can do this for years, I couldn't.
    I was close to a burnout/breakdown when I found a doc sending me to a health resort for weeks. I learned that I am the only person who is responsible for my life and have to care for myself.
    I found a completely different new job which had nothing to do with music with only 30 hours per week, had very few money but could recover over time which took nearly a year. I regained energy, time for hobby and friends and this way happiness and never worked 60 hours or more a week again.

No one profits from your breakdown. Neither your employer nor you!

All the best wishes!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@mercurysoto, I was going to recommend new toys. It always inspires me for a bit. Then get another new toy, etc. Just make sure you get to a point where you learn the new gear and start making music eventually.