New iLok Software Issues Kills Legitimate & Cracked Plugs?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tonymontana, Jun 17, 2013.

1. tonymontana

tonymontana Newbie

I've heard rampant issues abound with the new ilok software update. Horror stories of studio's having to shut down their DAW rigs are all over the net.

I've been worried to update, as I don't want to lose use of Pro Tools and the 8,000 worth of software on my computer that I own. I'm also avidly waiting for the new Slate Virtual Buss Compressors and want to be able to update right when they drop.

Once a user updates to the new ilok software does anybody know if the new software corrupts/kills cracked AND legitimate ilok plugs? or has it just been killing legitimate licenses LOL. :dunno:

Thanks

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Never had those issues and if i did i would simply go to iLok forum and ask one of the admins, as far as the crack'd side of things go to the crackers forum and ask them.

Since you spent $8.000.00 on software and $0.0 on a browser here is some info but i would seriously read the info it ONLY affects a Temporary License.

https://www.ilok.com/knownissues.html

4. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

If you disconnect your computers from the internet you will not have any trouble with software updating and destroying all your hard earned 8,000 software. None of my computers are connected and all software works great . . . hang on . . . how am I able to see this forum? . . . :dunno:

5. virusg

virusg Rock Star

what you can loose?? ...how many ilok apps where cracked anyway? ...you if you invested 8000 im pretty sure you can invest another two just to stay on the business and dont loose nothing BUT ! ...im pretty sure you are trolling around and shit ...dont know what answers are you looking for and what you tell i dont trust a word ...

6. tonymontana

tonymontana Newbie

I don't really care about the cracked side of things, that was an afterthought. I'm more concerned that I've heard of hundreds of users being locked out of Pro Tools altogether because the new ilok software doesn't recognize their Pro Tools license.

I'd imagine alot of you would be pissed if you bought a new plugin, updated to the new iLok drivers, and were unable to use any of your audio software until further notice.

7. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

like i suggested Tony read what is said on the link i provided.​

8. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

If everything is working fine then why do you need to update? Look at some other threads posted in this forum and you will see that ilok isn't the only company screwing up peoples' computers. Will ilok stop working because you have not updated it?

9. tonymontana

tonymontana Newbie

If anybody buys a new plugin right now that requires iLok, you have to update in order to obtain the license. So in essence you're risking killing your DAW if it requires an iLok and any other licenses you have, if you buy any new plugins that require iLok right now.

If it doesn't kill "cracked" software, atleast you will know that you may have a work around to stay up and running until your licenses work again.

This is a serious issue right now and from what i've heard in audio circles, thousands have been effected because PACE didn't pull the update off their site immediately at first sign of issues.

10. tonymontana

tonymontana Newbie

Thanks Robot I checked that this morning. Still not 100% comforting and even PACE is still saying there's issues they're working on. So that fix might not work for all of your licenses.

Bottom line I guess is I won't buy any new iLok plugs until I'm 100% sure they have this sorted out. Kind of lame if you ask me.

11. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

iLok is all about the lame. Stop supporting a bullshit industry and you will have less bullshit problems.

12. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

Easy to say, not easy to do. I use EastWest Play's latest products. They make some of the best material in the world...they use iLok VERY effectively. Some of their older kontakt versions leaked, but none of their new products. So, evidently it works well for them. So the iLok is something I tolerate to use the product I want.

If you made similarly epic material, and it costs you thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars (or more) to develop , you will want to be sure the bills are paid after making such an investment.

iLok is not crappy software, and the developers are human just like you. You think it's easy creating a security platform that many hackers are after? Lets be realistic.

If end users were more honest and trustworthy, we wouldn't need these protection systems.

13. Mental Exchange Department

Mental Exchange Department Newbie

The software developers did not steal from open free software.If I had cash to buy software and made money from it, I would gladly buy the software, Where is the Love.They make cash get to pay the bills but thats not enough is it for them and probably skip paying the tax like every other fcker thats got more than they need.Its got nothing to do with honesty or trustworthy.Fckn rich verses the poor.viva revolution :bleh:

14. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

Which company doesn't pay tax? iLok isn't big enough to escape the tax bracket. If they didn't pay tax, the DOJ would seize their site.

15. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Well the man asked which companies and that was a perfect example iLok or not.

17. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Yeah I guess you're right. I guess I just figured being that since this was posted in a Mac forum that it would be a good point. I can't miss an opportunity to trash Apple now can I? :rofl:

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I found this:
    Warning: Do Not Install New iLok Software

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know I am vehemently apposed to dongled software. I won't buy it... I won't even review dongled products here. Punishing your legitimate users for supporting your product is the wrong way to go about fighting piracy.

Well, now there's another reason to be leary of software that uses dongles as reported on the Gearslutz forum by user Simon Morrison:

"Do NOT synchronize your iLok(s)!

iLok (PACE) performed a database update this weekend that *invalidated* a significant number of VALID permanent licenses.

This issue affects thousands of users.

If you install the latest iLok software, and/or synchronize your iLok(s), you risk losing permanent licenses - they will be converted to "Temporary".

Software with "Temporary" licenses will NOT AUTHORIZE, and CANNOT BE USED!

DO NOT INSTALL THE LATEST SOFTWARE.

DO NOT SYNCHRONIZE ANY OF YOUR iLOKS.

Licenses from the following companies are known to be affected:
    • Abbey Road
    • Antares
    • Avid (Pro Tools)
    • Celemony (Melodyne)
    • Eventide
    • Flux
    • McDSP
    • Slate Digital
    • Sonnox
    • SoundToys
    • Waves

iLok (PACE) is aware of this issue."

19. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

You don't even understand that tax issue. You should have watched the court session where a member of congress protested his own organization for badgering Apple. the US is accusing them of not paying taxes to US government for profits made oversees. That is unfair because Apple paid taxes to the countries the profit was made in. The media just ran with the news but forgot to mention that our government wants to tax money that was already taxed somewhere else, just because they'd make a lot of money if successful. And it would only add more fat to their already fat pockets (members of congress). Meanwhile they can't reform a better plan that is fair its citizens because they will lose current advantages. Just a case of greed and power corruption. If your government really had a case against that, Apple products would be banned until payment. So don't believe the popular news.

20. Rockdaset

Rockdaset Newbie

I am about to test a scenario that is relevant to the actual post. I will let you know what I find. I am a mac user with logic and ableton.

21. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

i dont know what actual and relevant means in an 4 years old thread .