New genres?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Triple, May 1, 2017.

1. Triple

Triple Member

Hi!

I'd like to update my awareness of what's new in music (during the last few years). I mean, are there some new genres or sub-genres that emerged recently?
    Something that e.g. 5 years ago was beyond anyone's imagination...

I'm especially interested in new electronic music genres, but you can also tell me about any new genre (from other musical territories)

Cheers!

3. foster911

foster911 Guest

I know some secret agents here that are honorary members of stealthy Electronic music classification consortium. I can not name them but hope after seeing this, they participate in this thread and guide you.

4. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

All the new genres are just marketing. There is nothing new in them.
    You can always use a new kind of timbre and claim that this is a new sub/genre.
    How to create a new genre: choose tempo, meter, rhythmical pattern, instrumentation, harmonic/scalar framework.
    The more unusual the choices, the more original your music will be.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. 30hz

30hz Producer

Vaporwave it 's pretty new genre check it !!! (don't take it too seriously)
    :boombox:

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

Absolutely this stick-in-the-mud stuffed shirt bogan conservative diehard fossil fuddy-duddy luddite neanderthal old maid schoolmarm traditionalist dinosaur is not one of them.:bleh: Just kidding.

7. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Are you talking about true musical sub-genres genres or brand/marketing genres?

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  8. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

But that's not how you create a brand new (market) genre. Like you said, it's all about marketing. Some electronic major needs to find you first then find a name for your music to sell it better/start a worthy trend.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  9. Crater

Crater Ultrasonic

In fact that's an illusion...
    Truth is 80-90% of all new genres are actually fake new, in electronic/dance music, specially on house (which is the pop thing inside electronic scene as a whole)... That's how they move the masses...
    10-15y ago that would be unthinkable, but today seems like there's a new genre for every single producer...

10. LZ Jaydon

LZ Jaydon Producer

go for future bass if ya wanna earn someting man

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. onekutcha

onekutcha Ultrasonic

Listen to Illenium and Phelian. I know they are not exactly about new genres, but I think they are paving the road with established methods towards new and very exciting directions.

12. tek909

tek909 Member

Who cares, No labels, No Lies!

Labels can miss steer a listener/dj
    when looking for new music to buy/play.
    Not all music is labelled correctly.
    You know like the old saying goes, "You say potato, I say tomato".
    But, why are you asking this question?
    Are you trying to make your own original music?
    Or, are you just curious how genres are coined/named in general?

In the 90's house music alone could have been, acid house, deep house, hard house, disco house, tech house, progressive house, tribal house, Chicago house, Detroit house, New York house, French house, garage house/speed garage, minimal house, dub house, ghetto house, vocal house, & yet there's still more genres/styles witch could also be added to my list.

I learned things by asking questions and by listening to everything I could listen to. Record stores bins some times would label their bin with these genre names. However, Not all genre names are listed here, it is just the general idea of what a electronic music store might have labelled their bins at that point in time.

: Electro "not what people call it today", House, Tech house, Breaks, Acid Breaks, Trip Hop, Experimental, Acid, Acid Techno, Techno, Minimal Techno, Hardcore Techno, Ambient, Trance, Acid Trance/Goa, uk hardcore breaks, Hardcore/speedcore , Happy Hardcore/Gabber, Ambient, Jungle, Drum&Bass, intelligent DnB

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Well when you start making music that combines genres we just call it electronica/EDM/dance. I noticed that a lot of producers are doing this on soundcloud. Then tag the individual subgenres

14. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Thinking in terms of genres might not lead far. Listen to every music that get a shine on in the generic genre you like (here electronic music) no matter what "genre" people making them call them, and break them down to their core elements. Frequency distribution, structure of the songs, BPM, typical sounds used (type of samples, synths and all that good stuffs). You'll find out that they all have a lot in common and the differences are marginals. I agree with the statement that people tend to call their s...t "new genre" even if it's actually not really new, it's a bit a marketing scheme. But still, even if what's new in it isn't incredibly inovative, it's different but what matters isn't what it's called, but what differiencates it from other related genres.
    That's how you get a chance to be original and reinvent things a bit, the more you can coin what makes a genre a genre, the more yourself can play on the right parameter to stand out.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Correct. Music has become, like clothing fashion, a seasonal affair.

Not too much time ago it took half of century for the clothes to change to a new style - same for music. Now they change 4 times a year and music is more or less once a year. This is a fact.

In a way
    producing the music specific of 2010s is like dressing from 2010s: the clothes could very well be nice but nothing to stand out in 2017.

So either calling it "new genre", or "new fashion", we have to acknowledge its existance and adapt to it. Because music quality did not peaked with the genre we like the most nor started with the genre we like the most and certainly will not stop there.

Just listen some charts and try to observe what/how changed

16. foster911

foster911 Guest

No way!:no:

Who says what's fashion? Stupid listeners, producers or politicians trying to neutralize the masses? :bleh:

17. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

There is nothing breathtakingly new in music. People are just finding new ways to combine things. However it seems to me like most people are more interested in following trends. If you want to hear something unique, it's up to people who have the courage to break the mold. As was stated previously, all of these new terms we are hearing are just for marketing. All of this music claiming to be from the future...what a joke. We would be heading towards a very boring future if it were true.

18. foster911

foster911 Guest

I really beg @ned944 as a multi-genre producer to clear up how he chose on which genre he produces. His working genres are so diverse. For enjoyment? raising knowledge? or what?
    soundcloud.com/ned944/tracks

Thanks so much!:bow:

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  19. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

This answer right here sums up the difference between a professional music producer and a hobbyist.

20. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thank you!:rofl:

21. Elisea

Elisea Guest

You are all kind of wrong! Really!

Music styles are always reflecting parts of the youth culture. If you ask me what i think about Trap i would say its a random product of a little boy playing with a cheap drum sequencer and using his first try for a song. When i heard the early additions to this genre i thought it was a joke. There was nothing i liked. Especially those stupid hihats, boxy kicks and the lack of any velocity. BUT! Thats not the point. Music is feeling, emotion and togetherness. And if you imagine a group of people finding together in a club, feeling special and fenced off from the mainstream, it makes sense. There is no need to jugde. If its good or bad doesn't matter. And how its called is just an attempt to categorize for commercial reasons or the spreading in a club scene.

Every music style brings people together. I have no idea how old all of you are, but i guess most are from 25 - 45. You should remember how it was when you were young. What music did you like and why? And didn't you choose your clothes like all the others who liked the same? The only difference from then to now is that everything happens in an amazing speed. The assimilation of subcultures from mainstream lasts not long nowerdays. Thats it. (Speed is also the reason why it feels like a lack of quality, its the trouble of finding something new and remarkable and usable.)

But its really a joke to call gengres "future bass" or "future house". I mean how could you top that? Far future bass? And its also a little bit confusing to build a subgenre for every little mood type. But if there is a demand for a categorization ... why not?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List