New bass players that knock you out and bass players with new skills

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by BaSsDuDe, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes I like his playing, but can we call him a "new bass player" ? I thought you put this title to share young new bass players...
    Manring was born in 1960, he has been recording at least since '81 with Michael Hedges...

Anyway, I dont mind opening the thread subject to any really interesting bass player.. :thumbsup:

2. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I would not want to sound rude, but we can find hundreds (if not thousands) of covers of this kind in Youtube...
    But yes, she plays well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

The amount of robot Berklee jazz nut swinging around here is hilarious....

4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I know, but what really brought up my attention is how at her age she can play so effortlessly and putting on a smile, really groovy. Plus I could have fallen in love again. :winker:

5. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Once again nothing to add or completely wrong.

Show me another singer / bass player similar to Jacob Collier's caliber?
    Of course an ' ignored member ' like you would ' disagree ' to a Collier video.

6. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

If music is meant to communicate emotion to others, Jacob in my opinion doesn’t do it for me. His voice is pure, but lacks character and the human charm of individual imperfections. His negative harmonic approach is convoluted and easier to achieve the same sound by using other methods. It’s an opinion. We all have them. I’m just surprised by the amount of people not just here but throughout the world who have subscribed to institutionalized jazz harmonic and melodic methods implemented by the big schools who are simply in it for money.

7. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I agree, but isn't it a beautiful thing that he is so deeply embedded and focused into the music that nothing phases him?
    :)

8. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I agree that he is of an older generation but what he is playing is definitely "new".
    If a 90 year old man suddenly appeared playing something that had never been done or heard before, while he is certainly old, what he created definitely is not. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  9. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Just a perspective:
    A musician that loves music for the pure sake of the Art will see what a person, ensemble, composition, song or style brings to the Art form itself.

If every musician had an identical opinion on what has soul, what does not, or what something is, we would all be clones and then yes, we would all be soulless.

Without knowing how someone got their skills without knowing every gig, trial and tribulation personally that artist went through, without being able to see inside the artist's heart and soul to see what truly drives them, I cannot see how labeling anyone as something is anything other than a personal perspective where the performance of music is concerned. Technical and execution performance analysis has nothing to do with enjoyment. I think it detracts from just enjoying it.
    I can do it and will probably for many years to come, but I won't if I only want to simply listen to something.

For me and perhaps only for me, I can switch off the technical aspects because I am grateful that I learned to play by ear first and hear whatever style or skill it is for what it contributes to music.
    Music is good or it is not. Someone can really play or they cannot. The feeling or soul or anything else is like the millions of social media posts ad nauseum - only an opinion.

Everyone on this earth has a soul. Just because someone cannot see, hear or feel their soul does not mean that it does not exist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Who's negative harmonic approach satisfies you ?
    Just talkin' out yo ass again?

We really need a ' stupid ' rating for vindictive people like you.

Is there a reason why I'm the only lucky person to receive your ' disagree ' in this thread MR. Fooger?
    Are you still embarrassed and bitter about something I had to correct you about?

Nothing to add or 100% wrong.
    Back to ignore........

11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I actually got what he meant I think? The problem with faceless, expressionless computer forums is nobody can see the real meaning in the written word, even with emoticons. I have put a wink on a post and been completely taken at face value not in jest... it happens.
    What I got from that was that he found it too complicated for himself to be able to listen to it for any duration and prefers someone else that can speak in a way he can understand it better.

I saw what you did immediately also. Then I thought "What he is he trying to say?"
    I do not think he was saying it is crap, I think he was saying he could not relate to the way Collier explains it.
    I am not defending him, do not misread me.
    I am just looking at what he is actually trying to say. Collier is at the age he is, a genius. I know people that love him and people that do not.
    In saying that I can see you two have a history so I am only putting my view on what he might be trying to say from his own personal perspective, rather than what appears at face value.
    We all express ourselves differently.
    Some people are easily pleased some people find nothing is good enough. This is the world we live in.

12. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

@BaSsDuDe you are right. There is a very good reason moogfog singled me out. People with this ' my shit don't stink ' attitude tend to fall flat on their faces...... hard.:rofl:

13. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Shame when that happens. I have people that I feel the same about. A friend on here said to pretty much put "ignore" on and never take it off when I encounter that.
    It seems to work well. Just never take it off and you won't get upset :winker:
    Plus if you ignore them eventually they work out they are only talking to themselves. Even if they reply to you when it says it is not visible, leave it as invisible. :)

14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes , probably is a part of it :winker:

Then have an ear and a look at Marta Altesa, she plays really well and she is charming.

Alessandra Scaravilli:

Juana Serita

And a lot more enchanting young talented bassists.

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Ok I understand now. Probably my English is not good enough, I didnt understood the title that way.

16. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

To be perfectly honest, I could have worded it better - I fixed the wording with an addition :)

17. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Sorry guys, I'll repeat Henrik Linder with this video where he is playing Giant Steps.

The video should begin with him playing, if it does not, jump to 1:13

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

He's very talented :)

19. Why am I always surprised when I hear and see a woman ripping it up on bass? It bothers me to be in this mindset. When I first saw Suzie Quatro it felt wrong that a chick would be into the instrument, something incongruent with femininity perhaps, but that is way fucked up also. I am not that way about woman or men in another aspect. What's wrong with me Doctor, and is there a cure?
    [​IMG]

20. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

People mirror what they are exposed to. This generation is removing the attitudes of inequality from previous generations, although sometimes to extremes. If a person grew up in an environment of a single income household in the 1960s-1980 period, it is difficult to forget what they saw their parents doing. It does not mean they were wrong either because they only mirrored their parents.
    Things change and mostly for the better and if not, people tend to rebel.
    If a person is not prejudiced with a woman or a man doing the same thing, then it is merely a reflection of their youth and nothing more.