New Audio-PC - how to reinstall the software on system C:

Discussion in 'PC' started by Tonk, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Tonk

Tonk Member

Hi folks,

I wanna buy a new audio-PC. I will replace all the SSDs with sounds and libraries from the old PC to the new PC, but I want to start a brandnew system SSD on "C:" - with a new and naked Windows 10 64 bit.
    So I will start from scratch.

Q: What is the most convenient way to re-install all the software that I used over the past 5 years on "C:"?
    What should I consider when doing this?

Will I need all serials and licences that I forgot to save anywhere over the past 5 years?
    I dread the action. How are your experiences with building up a completely new system?

Thanks for the answers in advance.I am afraid of this action....

3. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

I recently did this, it took me about 1 day.

Theres a couple factors to this.

A) The resiliency of your DAW. One of the reasons why I use Studio One is that it has great file management and a relative plugin database - meaning the exact location of the plugin is not critical. If anything is missing it will notify you upon opening the session before bypassing them. Over the past 6 years I have not lost a single Studio One session, but prior to that theres a good 300 FL Studio sessions that are gone for good.

B) How many random plugins you have from the sister site that you only used on one song. The more mature I get, the smaller my plugin arsenal becomes.

C) If you keep an archive of your installers. After I install something I store the installers on an external drive.

D) What protection methods the purchased plugins use. Despite all the hate it receives, Installing iLok plugins, once the license is already installed, is as easy as a free plugin - actually easier because free plugins ask for emails and stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Tonk

Tonk Member

I feel hope... Thanks for the reply.

5. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

Yes I agree with MYC. Just expanded my set-up recently, to a laptop and desktop. Both with the same set of plugins. No real easy way around it, you have to reinstall everything onto the new computer. I keep all the installers from the sister site on an external drive as well. As MYC said, my plugin library has shrunk a lot, so I can get most of plugins installed from just a few places. If I do happen to open an old project with a plugin I haven't installed yet, I can go to my external drive and install it.

I've also always been very good about staying organized, and keeping all the files needed for a project in a very specific directory, and never anywhere else. So it's easy to just move that whole folder over to the new computer, tell my DAW (Ableton) to look in that folder, and it finds everything.

Basically, if you've saved all your installers from the sister site, and kept your files organized, it's just a matter of taking a day to get everything installed.

If you haven't saved them, you have to redownload them from sister site, so dedicate 1 more day for that. If the sister site release has been taken down, links don't work etc., RuTracker has just about everything that's been posted to the sister site over the years.

If you haven't kept your files organized, I'd recommend taking some time before building the new PC to make sure everything is in order and will be easy for your new DAW to find.

It's always good to stay organized and keep copies of installers for all necessary software, because over time computers get outdated and you're going to have to move to a new system sooner or later.

6. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

all true but best way is to migrate whole ssd to another ssd

7. Charlomagne

Charlomagne Ultrasonic

Take your time. The best way it's ALLWAYS to make Image backups of your C: System drive. (I use Acronis from Hiren's boot CD)
    Don't install everything you got. Just the essencials. First OS. Configure everything, Drivers, Etc. Test it. Make an image.
    Another day install DAW. Test it. Some essentials plugins. Test it. Make another image, but don't delete the first one!!!!
    Now you can go and install and test and backup. If something went wrong, you can go back using the images you were creating. Once you are comfortable, you can erase all images except last one.