New Audio Interface

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by jefft, Oct 30, 2019.

1. jefft

jefft Producer

Hi, I'm updating my little studio, and require a new audio interface for my Win 10 PC, running Studio One 4, with
    Maschine (2 inputs),
    Boss GT-1 (2 inputs)
    Roland SE-02 (1 input)
    My choices are
    1) Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen USB
    2) PreSonus Studio 1824c USB-C
    I don't really need anymore inputs, as I mainly use VSTi's.
    Any suggestions or help i.e. pluses and negatives would be welcome. T.I.A.

3. If you don't need inputs anymore, I can suggest you to buy Babyface Pro if you have enough budget. I was thinking of buying a Focusrite Scarlett Series but after learned that better latency issues on Babyface Pro, I prefer to buy it. I'm very happy with it. And as I read you're using VSTi and low latency should be important for you. In brief, If I were you, I'd prefer Babyface Pro or another RME series.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

If you want an interface with knobs that melt after some years, and with a very weak headphone output that does not allow you to work with high impedance pro headphones, chose this one.... :no::no::no:
    (I have one, so I'm speaking from the experience)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I'd recommend shelling a bit more money and get RME Fireface 802 which will serve you no less than decade without any problems (compared to Focusrite and Presonus, where manufacturer won't deliver any functional drivers after they stop selling the model and as soon as new major operating system releases)
    and on top of that, there's zero latency DSP-powered TotalMix FX which is a dealbreaker once you understand it can serve as full-featured digital mixing console with software control (recently also supports remote via free iPad app)
    EDIT - I feel it's a better deal than Babyface Pro, but in case you'd totally need physical knob to control "Main Out" monitors, an older (but basically same otherwise) RME Fireface UFX can serve instead 802

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. jefft

jefft Producer

I like the RME series, but unfortunately, they are well out of my price range, also the Babyface Pro hasn't got the amount of inputs that I require. I'm currently using a Focusrite Saphire Pro 40, which serves me very well. but they (Focusrite) have stopped supporting windows 10.
    Hey, Olymoon headphones make my ears itch, so that's not a problem, as for melting the the knobs...???? maybe slower turns would help

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  7. jefft

jefft Producer

Hey, Olymoon headphones make my ears itch, so that's not a problem, as for melting the the knobs...???? maybe slower turns would help :)
    How come you have used this model for "Some years", do you have a time machine? I thought that they were only released in July 2019 :bow:

8. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

then have a look at motu.

9. trash116

trash116 Noisemaker

In the summer i had to update my audio interface. I second what @tzzsmk said.... I actually saved abit more cash and got the RME Fireface 802... and can also confirm it's soooo good. It did cost more than i budgeted, but i saved harder, and there are some deals out there - I found an box opened one with full 12month warranty and saved a chunk of cash.
    My advice - save up and buy one.... if you can't stretch to it tho' i'm sure you will find one that pleases you.

10. jefft

jefft Producer

Motu 828 MK3 Hybrid audio interface looks good, but just out of my price range...

wife and goldfish to support

11. jefft

jefft Producer

a tad overpriced and a lot of stuff that I would never use..thanks though any ideas are welcome.

12. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

yes, the 828 is great. I own a 828es myself. But it is also completely overpowered for your needs. maybe look for a used motu ultralite or something.

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

hmm seeing this I got another interesting idea of an option:

what you can do is, configure your current Saffire Pro 40 as standalone unit, with fixed I/O routing through ADAT (8in/8out):
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...fire-or-Scarlett-1st-Gen-for-Standalone-Mode-
    and buy whatever best "basic" ADAT interface - such as (surprise surprise) RME Digiface USB:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_digiface_usb.htm
    *as a matter of fact, that fully-featured 32in/34out (4x ADAT I/O + headphones) Digiface USB is cheaper than your planned 18i20 3rd gen!
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_18i20_3rd_gen.htm

[​IMG]

eventually, if you have a desktop computer available, you can get PCIexpress RME HDSPe RayDat (compared to usb Digiface, you'd loose headphone out, but retain that 4x ADAT I/O):
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_hdspe_raydat.htm

[​IMG]

advantage of ADAT-based setup is very easy expandability in future by whatever converters you decide, and no risk of electrical/ground loops thanks to fully optical fiber digital transport,
    AND, speciality of RME is SteadyClock technology - which allows internal automatic reclocking, so you don't need to trouble yourself with configuration of WordClock Sync across digital audio devices

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Olymoon

Knobs melted because of the type of plastic they are made. First they become sticky then they king of melt.
    A local tech told me that they all do this, many people go there asking for knob replacement.

15. jefft

jefft Producer

lol....I kind of think I know what your saying, ive had a couple of mice that the coating went sticky, then sort of disolved, but oh it sounds so comical.:rofl:

16. jefft

jefft Producer

Now I thank you for your intrest, but Im trying to get away from the Pro 40, if Microsoft in there wisdom alters windows and the pro 40 becomes unusable, then im in the same boat. My logic would be to update the equipment, rather than work around it, thanks all the same... Nice thinking.

17. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

not even real plastic anymore the fck...modern days..unblvbl....plastic...cheap cheap cheaper but they build in knobs that dissolve

18. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

19. megalon

megalon Newbie

20. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

You could save a bit by buying a used RME 802 and it would likely last for the foreseeable future.

21. Olymoon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List