New Analog Modelling Synth from Rob Papen

Discussion in 'Software News' started by teknomix, Jun 11, 2019.

1. teknomix

teknomix Kapellmeister

[​IMG]

B.I.T. stands for Back In Time…

Instead of combining the best of analog modeling with hybrid synthesis, which we can see with the other Rob Papen synthesizers, B.I.T. focuses on Analogue Modelled Synthesis.

Why this move you might think? The idea behind it is that the classic analog type of synthesis has its own charm and simply has not yet been covered by the Rob Papen brand. So, no spectrum waveforms, or samples inside B.I.T. nope, it is pure ‘Analogue Modelled’ synthesis.
    Although B.I.T. has no patch cables, it is modular by all means! The Modulation Matrix is used for the patching, however, also included is the smart ‘advanced’ panel below the Oscillators. With these advanced features (accessed by switching the ADV switch), you can quickly make several connections such as LFO and Envelope to the Oscillator parameters inside of B.I.T.

Also included is the option to modulate Oscillator 2 by Oscillator 1 in several ways which expands the sound pallet with Phase Modulation, Frequency Modulation, and Ring Modulation.
    A Rob Papen synthesizer would, of course, be incomplete without the arpeggiator (which can also work in sequencer mode), so a fully featured Arp is available and has an additional free row that you can use to modulate other parts of B.I.T. by using the Modulation Matrix.

Adding the finishing touch on B.I.T. is, of course, the FX section. Some superb sounding FX are added.
    Our top-notch Reverb is also included inside B.I.T. which means you won’t have to go outboard for adding reverb.
    As previously mentioned B.I.T. stands for ‘Back In Time’ however it can also mean ‘Be Inspired Today’ whilst using our Analogue Modelled Synthesizer.

here: https://www.robpapen.com/bit.html

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Looks like a softsynth from 10 years ago.

I never used any RP stuff. Couldnt say one way or the other if the popularity is justified, but judging by the parameters on the UI it doesnt look like it does anything that every other synth doesnt do

Decent price tho. Maybe if enough people say it sounds exceptional I'll demo it or something

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

5. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

thanks 4 da headsup, gonna test it now. never liked rob papen synths 4 some reason they sound tinny to me

edit : yep, same. tinny. why-o-why? did he hear arturia's mini ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  6. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I know its all about the sound, but his synths have ALWAYS turned me away because of the grotesque GUI... Something about them appeals to hip hop producers though.

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I beg to differ

Although ive spent some time on hip hop forums and subreddits and from what i can tell very few of them know enough to have their own opinions. All they know is massive and Omnisphere have good presets, and the adventurers among them are sharp enough to appreciate hive (which ironically is uhes least interesting synth to me)

8. DJK

DJK Rock Star

they all look the same, nothing new here, just the presets maybe

9. DJK

DJK Rock Star

demos sound shit

10. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

I think all knobs are way too big. And the silver should be chrome and the red should be racing stripes.
    Seriously.....
    Didn't Rob get the email that skewmorphic design is dead? Back In Time doesn't mean the design and layout needs to be dated.
    Maybe we'll be complaining about flat greys with subtle highlights in ten years. Just don't anybody start using a lot of black.

11. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

i never like the look of their synths... ever. lucky there's 80 million to choose from. I was f'ing w LUSH-101 last night... and i cant believe how amazing that thing really is.

12. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@GreatJobChamp BROWSE > Multiple Zones > Splits > Knight Rider
    Hold A#
    Ridiculously cool preset.

13. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Mmhhh, I like most of the concretefx+Papen stuff. True, no flashy guis but intuitively laid out and lots of good or even great presets. Subboombass is my fav.

14. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

The only Papen instrument I ever actually liked and used was Predator 2. I programmed a couple of cool Arpeggio's with it, and used them in a track or 2. I've tried all of Rob's synths, but for some reason the sound couldn't cut through like I wanted. Funny, I thought I was the only one until I read this thread. Maybe I'll give B.I.T. a shot. But I couldn't even get into the previous release, Vecto. For me the interface doesn't matter too much if the sound is good. And not all of the sounds are bad, but there's something about the overall Papen sound engine that doesn't work for me. I'm having a hard time zero'ing in on exactly why. korte1975 said "tinny", but there's something else I can't quite figure out that has kept me from using his synths...

15. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I still have Albino in my now truncated collection of motley older synth dinosaurs, probably not even Albino3 but the older 2nd iteration. It is the only one that resonated with me. I have tried them all but this very white, melanin free synth that was abandoned in 2012 still finds it's way onto my work from time to time. In fact I just found that 3 still has a viable link that I took advantage of and will install at some point.

What is the deal if a product is no longer supported and offered for sale? Is it still intellectually protected or are all bets off?

For those not familiar...

[​IMG]

16. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

Oh yes, I remember that awesome synth. But I never considered it "Rob Papen". The architecture was created by the now defunct Linplug. Linplug actually advanced that beauty into their flagship plugin Spectral, which I use to this day. Rob just licensed Linplugs architecture and marketed it. Both Albino and Spectral are worth using to this day! Thanks for the memory :wink:

17. Of all the vast catalogue of RP synths I've tried before buying, this is the only one I haven't uninstalled. BIT does indeed look very much like Albino 3 with the spectral waves and half the oscillators ripped out. It always struck me that RP synths are basically all the same synth with a kind of plug and play gimmick added to each one. Predator was basically Blue which was basically everything else he's done. The same modulation core, the same basic game, with a bunch of really good presets thrown in. Nothing to complain about, but I just never used all the others and I'll just never use this, when try before time comes around, and it'll get uninstalled a few weeks later.

Another wall in the brick.

18. Caldera

Caldera Producer

B.I.T. sounds fantastic!!