New AMD ryzen cpus opinions; compared to old Intel?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ddoctor, Jun 6, 2017.

1. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

Well, I have recently 'upgraded' my comp from an fx-6100 to an i3-3240. My impressions; very simple - had no idea of what the difference really is! I knew and seen in tests that the single thread perf is far better with Intel, but I have never noticed that the memory performance is also much better; in short, yes the six amd cores are generally faster for internet and multitasking - except where it matters most - low latency! All the tests I've made with Cubase projects, whether playing with low latency or muptiple instruments, asio guard on or off - they all favor the i3! And looking at the passmark results - it is obvious why; the 2x8GB of hyperx savage 1600 9-9-9 memory was scoring merely 1250 points with different amd cpus, but with the i3 - 2500! Latency amd vs intel; 60 ns vs 23ns! And now that I can see that the new ryzen ddr4 chips can push the memory to only about 2000 points, I am afraid amd is still not a good choice for low latency playing. And an anecdote; when I switched the motherboard and cpu, my system was bsod every few hours, only to find out in the end the memory was overheating, so I was forced to install a cooler for the memory, which solved the bsod problem! And here it is - the ugliest comp in the world (at least of the ones people are not too embarrassed to show publicly)!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. virusg

virusg Rock Star

no ryzen will boot up in that mess lol ...but ryzen is hats down at the moment, intel didnt expect that, they are so desperate now :hahaha:

all tho i have an intel, they deserve this and my next buy will be an AMD ...viva la competicion :headbang:

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I remember when i went from a quad core phenom to an I5, it was like night and day.
    Im on an I7 now and will probably not switch to a Ryzen, yet, maybe Ryzen 9 will change my mind.
    I have seen a lot worse computers, so dont worry, looks ok to me.
    Change the RAM frequency down a bit and you might be able to ditch the fan and get rid of bsods as well.

5. nexusmusic

nexusmusic Kapellmeister

Same here, Been an AMD user and switched to Intel but now i'm going back to AMD baby. And I'm getting the "Threadripper" 16 Core for sure. Just one thing i'm wondering if AMD CPU & the new MOBO's from ASrock, ASUS etc.. will support Thunderbolt or NOT. I'm really curious as I'd like to purchase my next soundcard to have Thblt option. And maybe i'm mistaking but i've been reading some forums saying that AMD Mobo or CPU won't support thunderbolt.

If someone here more advanced in computer tech can clarify this, would really appreciate

6. dondada

dondada Rock Star

seems right till now. but intel also just recently said they will be releasing tb without licencing fees
    to massage the market. maybee in the next batch of boards, probably threadripper

7. Regz

Regz Producer

Who will pay $2000 just to get 2 more cores???? Threadripper is the killer...

8. saltwater

saltwater Guest

18 core i9-7980XE is the killer ;)
    44 lanes
    quad channel DDR4
    165 w

only 2000 bucks

9. Unirorm

Unirorm Producer

Good luck cooling that one..

10. saltwater

saltwater Guest

For that reason, Intel developed its own liquid cooling solution

11. saltwater

saltwater Guest

While it might all seem like overkill, Intel says its Core i9 extreme lineup was driven by the surprising demand for last year's 10-core chip.

Threadripper is 180 w btw :)

anyway very exciting times, this cpu war is just a dream for us end users.

now both sides have to show how long their sticks are and we profit.

these jumps we see now are really insane in terms of what we got last decade.

thank you AMD

12. saltwater

saltwater Guest

nice rig :wink:

those fx series aren't really true cores, it consists of dual core modules, in case of 6100 it got 3 modules, this is a very bad design for audio stuff latency wise. good you got rid of it :winker:

single core performance of your i3 is beasty, but it only has 2 cores, depending on what u do this can be enough.
    you could upgrade to an i5 3350P, they are available for roundabout 55 bucks on ebay, more then doubling your capability!
    i just noticed you could actually sell your i3 for the same amount :rofl:
    this cpu's run so cool, they will last forever, especially with this advanced cooling system!

is this pci card a gpu ?
    because that i5 does not have an integrated graphics chip like your i3 so you would need one.

13. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

The motherboard supports Core i7-3770K as the top, but I deliberately want a cool cpu because the summer is coming and I don't have air conditioning. What do you guys think is hyperthreading good for Cubase or would an i5 be a better choice than even an i7?

14. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

My Next build is 100% amd, i'm going with their best Threadripper CPU...
    64pci lanes, is heaven, with the help of Cubix Xpander, almost unlimited UAD DPS computing power...

850$ for their 16cores CPU ??? this is what i'm talking about, Intel suck it baby lol,

also i might aim for 128 of ram, if it is possible.

AMD for the win, i'm no fan boy, it is just intel is not consumer friendly, and they ask for a lot.

15. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

You're being sarcastic, right? You want to pay over double for 2 moar coars? You want to pay double for 20 less pcie lanes? You know threadripper has 64 pcie lanes, right? Threadripper also has ddr 4 support. You also know that intel is making it so you have to pay extra to unlock features on the x299 mobos, right? Enjoy your DLC mobo features bro! Some people like paying more for less I guess :shrug:

16. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

Agreed, my next build will be AMD. I'm going to wait til 2nd or 3rd gen Threadripper and get a couple more years out of my i7 4770k and 4790

17. saltwater

saltwater Guest

it has at least 44 lanes, possibly even 128, they did not released that spec, that cpu will see the light next year probably.
    intel would not price it at this tag if its not outperforming TR-16 by a large margin.

850 $ will be the slower 16 core TR as there are more versions:
    a lower clocked (3,2 Ghz)
    and a higher clocked (3,5 Ghz) X version
    1000 $ is a good bet for that one i guess.
    128 GB ram is possible on Threadripper.

18. saltwater

saltwater Guest

the i7 has an integrated GPU chip, as well

but i doubt this rig has the value to invest in i7
    the i5 is a no brainer, the cost isn't really there, and you get roundabout double the performance.
    for the i7 you have to invest a lot more (200), not worth it.
    as always, increasing cores means loosing single core power, in this case going from i3 to i5 means going from 3.4 Ghz to 3.1 Ghz.
    but since the i5 supports Turboboost 1 core can go up to 3.3 Ghz neglecting the loss.

all three cpu's are very low in TDP (cool)
    55 W
    69 W
    77 W

keep in mind that you need a GPU for the i5!

19. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

They're just rebranded xeons that intel decided to release to combat threadripper 14 and 16 cores. i7 6900k just barely performed better than the ryzen7 8 core cpu, yet costs more than double the price. Intel doesn't price their cpus because of performance. They price gouge because there hasn't been any competetion in ages. Now that theres competition Intel is even pricing the skylake-e and kaby lake-e a few hundred bucks lower than broadwell-e and they're still overpriced. It's good to see AMD competitive in the cpu arena again, I'm afraid the same can't be said of their video cards *cough* vega *cough. To each their own though, everyone has their own preferences...I'm just glad theres competition again as we the consumers benefit. Cheers

20. saltwater

saltwater Guest

i have to disagree on that first point, this are not rebranded Xeons.
    actual 18 core Xeons are clocked @ 2,3 Ghz.
    Xeons have other features like stability, stackable Cpu's (up to 8), more memory (up to 1,54 TB)
    big Cache 60 MB and so on....and Xeons aren't overclockable.
    then there are the Xeon Phi coprocessors gaining even more cores up to 72.

actually there is a company that makes this home Xeon phi 432 core supercomputers for audio :)

https://www.hpcmusic.com/hexe

threadripper is amazing but its not released yet,
    Ryzen was just released and the 6900k is now a year old chip, release date was Q2'16.
    ofc thats whats available now, so your comparison has a point.
    AMD's Ryzen was an atomic Bomb in the CPU world, right now AMD is king.

but Intel wont give away the throne that easy.
    they now responded pretty fast with this new lineup,
    they had no need to give us the newest and best before, because there was literally no competition at all.
    can we really blame Intel for charging more if theres no competition?
    i think every company would do that tbh :)

its like Apple, they charge so much for the very same reason:
    because they can.

i agree on you and im so glad for the competition AMD introduced.
    this will lead to even more and faster progress in the future.

affordable speed bumps are now so huge, its astonishing.
    a Ryzen 1700x is a freaking real 8 core with turboboost and multithreading for just $329.

good times, cheers