Never worked with samples - could use some help :)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Sillytune, May 20, 2021.

1. Dildo Baggins

Dildo Baggins Kapellmeister

You might want to check out some of the packs by Komorebi - They've got some interesting stuff that's dark and could be used in many genres

"Komorebi Audio Granular Raindrops Ambient Tape Loops WAV-FLARE" would be one to check out, some stuff on there that sounds 'poppy' but still retains a dark mood, overall.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Thank you, Sir. That is of course what I was referring to.
    Uh, no I didn't! hehe. I agree with you if you agree with me! lol. :)
    Useful as long as at original tempo or faster, because the nature of the file is that it is chopped up as single slices that play concurrently.
    So too slow and gaps start appearing.
    Stylus RMX user for over a decade and I do love it though, but recommend to bounce to audio to do further pitch or tempo editing.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic Drum Machine Designer is really nice for chopping up breaks and other rhythmic stuff. Going back to Recycle, actually; the only thing missing in DMD is bounce slices to external samplers over SCSI. If you are doing that 32bit pc-> sampler stuff though, Zero-X Beat Creator is a bit better.

otherwise, DMD is great. (drag an audio file from the workspace into the blank gray area below channels) and In one mouse drag you have your wave file chopped and key mapped, with a midi playback file to edit whatever way you want, and every slice loaded into the Quick Sampler. Once your loop is loaded into Qsampler you can alter slices and each individual hit with 2 LFO, Pitch, Filter, and Amp parameters. (ready to go in about one minute).

I like Battery4 a lot, but I could probably live without it by just using DMD.

Another basic but nice thing in Logic for dealing with samples is the Fade tool. you can very quickly fade each sample to -inf and eliminate sample end clicks. another example, if you lay a kick sample directly into the workspace, you can more naturally sounding shorten the duration of your kick to tighten it up.

4. Smoove Grooves

I used to add my own samples into Ultrabeat too, but this workflow with Quick Sampler I wasn't aware of!
    I'm too stuck in my ways to have got around to even trying some of the newer stuff yet!
    Totally. I think we got that feature added to the tools quite late really, but it is so nice to just be able to drag a corner and get my default fade settings.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

When you drag the waveform into the blank space, you get the 2 top options which are the Qsampler. If you select the 3rd one down, it creates the DMD instance. Sometimes though, it will not create the Midi data even if it is a rhythmic audio file. If it does this, and you just create a blank Software Instrument track in the project, it will then work like we want for drums.

I really like working with my breaks this way, without loading additional programs, plugins, and in many cases even less channels. Using Midi
    to trigger your audio slices just gives you some other options to tighten stuff up. especially with kick drums as an example, you can shorten the midi note length so you can keep the transient, the beater, and the body of it; and then add a reverb plugin so that you can have more control over the reverb tail rather than being stuck with what was printed (or natural) on the original kick. easy way to get rid of mid/low mud or flabby sounding kicks. the usual "per hit" tricks don't have to take up an entire channel (most of the time).

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  6. dondada

dondada Rock Star

for someone who is really new to this:
    Sample by Serato is a good way into drum slicing editing
    i don't think you can actually slice faster and map samples then that.

For the rest Propellerhead Recycle is/ was still great.
    For the old heads:
    Do you guys know New SonicArts: Vice recycle in a sampler or
    Nuance
    nice and lean, like a simpler* cleaner Battery.
    and they produced a very good Granular sampler called Granite
    for anything better you have to go French or German/US(wich is till french(Falcon, halion,Omnisphere):shalom:

7. stuntdegrate

stuntdegrate Newbie

genres are just a tool to keep the musician(s) and people in a box.... music is music

8. spncart

spncart Producer

Hi guys I'm looking for a couple Sample Magic packs with Ableton racks which unfortunately Splice left out while purchasing Sample Magic (this really sucks), has someone here downloaded them before they closed down? Would love to speak to you in PM.

9. Smoove Grooves

No difference and exactly the same as back in the day making House, we'd just pin the samples to the grid; all daw is based on MIDI!
    If anything, audio on grid is tighter than involving another level of MIDI streaming! :yes:
    Exactly as we can with the "note" length of audio on the grid.
    It's how we got the House sound with drums and perc. Not triggering live drums, because there weren't any plugins!
    Just copy and pasting audio on the grid.