Never use analog obsession on your projects!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Riddim Machine, Dec 22, 2022.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Yep, there's defo something wrong with it, I've never seen this shift before
    [​IMG]

Oh, and the oversampling doesn't work.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. clone

clone Audiosexual

I never use "hobbyist" plugins, and that is what I almost equate Free plugins with; also. Some people always say " There is no free lunch" about these things, and that there is always a "catch". But this isn't why I don't use them.

It's because I do not expect them to be around later. Look at how many For Profit audio developers' "companies" go under. They can have a great product and price; and still fail. Then you are chasing down warez copies. The problem is that aside from Sister Site, almost no-one catalogs these old free programs! You are stuck hoping someone has some old file so you can get your work in that plugin back. No thanks.

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That's the first syringe with the needle backwards I've seen in my life.
    Oh wait...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • List
  4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

it's both user and developper's fault, simple because user should make sure everything is backed up, and developper should annouce backward compatibility with each update.

5. mi6ix

mi6ix Noisemaker

I just logged in to say thats why its called analog obsession

6. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

Or... you could just use the new versions when you finish the mixes that use your old plugins. I don't see what the issue is... it's not like the old versions are bust or anything. :dunno:

:goodpost:

This. One hundred times over. If you've spent any real amount of time on a mix, you should be able to ballpark where you were at and easily fine-tune from there. Also, if I've set myself away from a mix for a decent amount of time (which I do before I start any mix,) there's good chance I'll dial in better settings the second time around, even if only slightly.

Maybe this is the universe prodding you, via Analog Obsession, to re-mix your tracks. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Yes, seriously.

Just to clarify, your first statement is "Never use analog obsession on your projects!!!"
    And the question is not why you should not update legit plugins, but when you should not update plugins. I can answer that briefly: as long as you have open projects using that plugin. Any update, no matter from which developer, can potentially lead to solid sound changes in your project.

And I agree that it would be better for the customer if a developer makes sure their product is backwards compatible, but sometimes that's not possible for technical reasons or not even conceptually intended. But how anyone can complain about sound changes after a major update from, say, v2.1 to 3.0 is beyond me. After all, you don't go to the cinema to see Avatar 2 only to complain that the movie doesn't have the same plot as Avatar 1.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  8. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

The last update 'BUSTERse 7.0' & 'dBComp 2.0' are crashing Logic/Sierra.
    Has anyone had the same problem? :dunno:

Maybe something goin' wrong to Analog Obsession?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Sapriisty

Sapriisty Kapellmeister

There is an old adage on the internet that says:

When it's free, you're the product!

For AO it's the users who debunk the problems and report them to Tuncan, it makes it easier to hire a dedicated team and it creates a nice community feel too with this for and against!

I personally can't wait for them to update their EAQ properly.

And we can always dream but a suite of plugins like Esoteric audio correctly calibred and ajusted in :crazy: : Dual-Mono/Stereo/Mid-Side

I hope so, rather a real good correction on the Varimoon and the EAQ :hillbilly::winker:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

complaining about free plugins :hahaha:

seriously though, even with paid plugins you can't often comfortably open old projects - on one hand there's for ex. Waves where you can't even install multiple versions at once, on the other hand there's iZotope where older plugins don't even work and new versions aren't backward compatible

best you can do (and that's not unique to AO) is, have mixes bounced with tracks frozen in your DAW - that way you can always open pure audio tracks mixed, and un-freeze optionally to see if you have original plugins available or not
    :chilling:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. M McB

M McB Producer

Imagine a hardware engineer gdialling in his compressors then getting mad at the next engineer because of his own lack of due diligence.

Just because we have software now, doesn't mean you should get complacent.

12. illinoise

illinoise Guest

Wassup with youre anal obsession plugin
    Just look for an other plugin

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Sorry but the rules say you have to write in English so we can all understand

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  14. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

LOL at AO plugin users...

15. Amydarkfang

Amydarkfang Guest

I love analog obsessions stuff haven’t ever had a problem

16. Zoketula

Zoketula Kapellmeister

Same here, after all those crashing SynthEdit plugins and don't get me started on those "free" lv2 plugins on Linux. I loved it when people said: you don't need proprietary, coding on the clock for the man software, because there are over 1000 free Linux plugins. There are also lot of abandoned weekend projects that don't work at all and nothing is really free, because time also counts. Sometimes even very old commercial software still has bugs. (Hello Omnisphere, I can't get over it.)

17. typical-love

typical-love Producer

I like and appreciate what he does, some of the plugs are very good in my opinion, but also... if I get attached to one and it's working I don't update it again, because yes it seems he will randomly update the base algo or whatever and the plugin seems completely different after update.

I'm a bit skeptical/disappointed/hesitant towards his new direction though, that MOMA plugin was a trainwreck (didn't try the update that apparently fixed it i will admit), seems he's using a similar technology for saturation modeling as Neural Amp Modeler (etc) and he says that will be the direction going forward. If it's as bad as MOMA when i tried it, i probably won't be checking out all of the plugs he releases as I have been for the past x years.

18. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Free or paid, it should work. When a developer puts a free plugin on a market it should be measured by the same criteria you evaluate a paid plugin.

19. shythornyregime

shythornyregime Newbie

I only ever install one though I downloaded and kept a few. Two crashes in a row then I binned the lot. Analog who??

20. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

They kept crashing and some of them behaving strangely (muting themselves followed by loud click), so I ditched them, not worth the hassle.