Never install Antivirus

Discussion in 'PC' started by VroundS, Oct 15, 2020.

1. WillyA

WillyA Producer

I absolutely agree with you. I just added a separate Smoothwall Express on one of my ESXi servers as a virtual machine. One of our websites that we look after for a customer, got hit by a whole series of Bots over a 3 month period. I use Akeeba Admin Tools on the website and it sent me THOUSANDS of bot IP Addresses over the period that the attacks were taking place. It was a real pain. My inbox was just flooded with notifications, so I added every IP Address to my Firewall.

This was about 2 years ago. I've often picked a few dozen of these IP's and they are STILL on Blacklists. IMO, 90% of people that get blacklisted NEVER COME OFF.

Since that massive bot attack, I've never had another. Maybe I sacrificed a bit of performance on the internet, but not enough to be very noticeable. We get the odd attack on various sites and I religiouly add 'em to my Firewall. Win10Privacy is a good tool to get rid of most of Microsoft's spyware.

2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Oh, you should have said!
    No idea; I don't use Safari. I use much safer alternatives.
    Either way, I doubt it's as simple as you said, because every website is a different matter, so it would be suicide to just allow a browser once and forever.

3. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

So you allow any connection manually ? :woot:

4. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

NO! :woot: :deep_facepalm:
    Permit me to ignore this particular thread from now on! lol.

5. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

Well I cannot quite imagine from what site you downloaded Macrium, since it is free (hence the name 'Macrium Reflect free') and available at no cost from the Macrium site or big PC magazines. I use it for several years now hassle-free with no update problems, since the image files are completely browsable and accessible.
    This summer I used it massively for backing up and restoring the data of around 20 Harddisks with a Data volume of about 40 TB. With 2 new backup data graves I decided after some testing that it is faster to create hd-images and copy from those images (mounted as virtual drives) to the emptied, bitlocker-encrypted harddisks back, than encrypting them 'live'. That worked out very well.

6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I apologize , no fun intended, I really like to understand how you woudl block one webpage from calling home but allow others to be shows and than without manual descision for all cases

7. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

There is also a non free edition which lets you create delta clones

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

I know that but since I make one full image around every half year I and delete the image before the previous, I thought this feature would be pointless except for companies. I backup data separately (including AppData and vst and program folders) with SyncBackFree.
    But I agree, full incremental backup for free would be a nice-to-have.