Neurontape 1972 - 50 years old japanese tape recorder

Discussion in 'Software News' started by tamere, Aug 13, 2023.

1. tamere

tamere Platinum Record

[​IMG]
    Neurontape 1972 brings to you a fantastic simulation of this piece of equipment that is a bit hard to find in good shape these days.
    We captured it from a unit that remain mostly untouched for its years. The preamp sound is thick, warm and will wildly saturate the circuit if overloaded.
    This unit is Japanese made, about 50 years old. It sounds awesome.
    mix applications
    From mix-bus to parallel distortion, Neurontape 1972 is a must have plugin for those who want to saturate tracks, glue the mix together with natural analog signal compression or even analog distort.
    Experiment with different input/output levels to get to know what the circuit is really capable of.

https://audiosingularity.com/product/neurontape-1972/

3. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Wow, the samples sound so much LOUDER with Neurotape! Take my money!

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Yeah! This is what we've all been waiting for all these years! A plugin that sounds like a worn out tape recorder with worn out tapes.
    What's the next project! A 1962 amplifier with a ground loop? :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. stopped

stopped Producer

y'all are being snarky like there's a difference between overloaded and blown out

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I'm saturated of so much saturation plugins

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

No no no.. first you need to sample it with a DAT Tape,
    then pass it to Mini-Disc, and only then Dump the Digital file to the PC..
    it's that or you loose all the Analog Vintageness on the way :hillbilly:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. RachProko

RachProko Producer

You forgot one. When it comes to vocals, it just doesn't sound natural or analogue without Auto-tune. :)

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

When I listened to the demo, the plugin made the original track so much louder that I bought two copies of Neurontape 1972. It is that good. Now I can use it on twice as many tracks. I'm really happy!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Not my kind of japanese gadget. Add an anime catgirl screaming yamete kudasai when clipping and then we talk.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Tbf, the distortion sounds quite good, but you don't get much versatility. Most people buy tape emulation plugins for subtle saturation and the overall "undigitizer" effect, not to get a one-trick-pony that distorts the hell out of your signal and adds noise and pitch modulation. There's already so many great free plugins that do just this, so why pay $40?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. clone

clone Audiosexual

i think Satin, Kramer Tape, Saturn2, etc. can still be used to a nice effect. I'm going to check out the demo today. But there is no chance in hell I am giving them 45€ for it. That is some seriously wishful thinking. I guess I do not understand why there are the negative comments about it already, with not any time to test it out yet; but €45 is not going to be happening.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  13. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

IMHO, the audio examples sound horrible. If my tape recorder would sound like this I'd rather shoot than use it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I want the authentic sound of a classic Tandberg that was found in a goat field after 55 years and really captures the vibe of 55 years of goat shit.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. xmanfredini

xmanfredini Member

Hello everyone,

Eduardo here from Audiosingularity. I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns about Neurontape 1972. Your feedback is incredibly valuable as we work to refine our product.

I understand that there are reservations regarding the plugin's sound character, pricing, and authenticity. Your candid comments have not gone unnoticed, and I want to assure you that we're actively addressing these aspects.

I'd like to clarify the intention behind Neurontape 1972. Our aim is to replicate the sound of a consumer-level unit widely used in the 70s Japanese market. It's important to note that this is not a high-end tape machine, and its sound character is meant to reflect the qualities of units found in that era. The vintage charm and warmth it brings are intended to evoke a specific nostalgic audio experience that this unit can bring.

As we work on improvements, your feedback remains at the forefront of our efforts. We understand the importance of delivering a product that resonates with your expectations and needs. We're committed to refining Neurontape 1972 based on your input and crafting an experience that aligns better with your preferences.

Thank you for your patience, your engagement, the creative jokes :), and your willingness to have this dialogue. Your insights are extremely valuable to us.

Warm regards,

Eduardo

• Like x 11
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

Any old piece of audio equipment that has a preamp stage can sound just like the 1972 Neurontape and very possibly much better, in the early 1960's I took my portable battery powered tape recorder apart because the batteries always died after an hour, the motor drained most of the power. i stripped out the electronic circuit board it had Germanium transistors on it, I put a 1/4 jack to where the tape head was connected and another 1/4 inch jack to where the speaker wires were. this worked so well that friends told me my guitar sounded like a Sax. I refined the circuit and put a 250k pot at the input and 500k at the output.I housed it all into a hobby box with a bypass switch. I used this for a year, until I sold it to another guitarist who offered me quite a sizeble sum for it. It was the Germanium transistors that really gave it its unique raspy tone and sound.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  17. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

This vst is a game changer. Instant Platinum to any producer that uses it. Don't believe me? You can saturate tracks, glue the mix with natural analog signal compression or even analog distort. I am telling you, this is my go-to-plugin:hahaha:

Eduardo or @xmanfredini I appreciate your showing up here but am going to voice my opinion regarding your $50 plugin.
    Guys and gals do yourself a favor and save the $50. This plugin is based on the Akai 4000 Reel-to-Reel Tape Machine which even when knew, as Eduardo recognized, was mediocre sounding at best, running at its max speed of 7 1/2. I am stunned that some developers spend time, and money trying to emulate garbage like this AKAI, and then try to sell it as the "next best thing" Give me a fucking break Eduardo.

Edit: Eduardo your "aim' is in conflict with your sales pitch. You had better options to support your sales pitch. Some of them already emulated by established developers but imagine the rewards if yours were to sound better. How about ATR 102, Ampex AX 50, Sony TC765, Balfinger M-063 H5, Revox A77, and many more? Your sales pitch should have been your "aim".To be clear, you stated that:
    How do you expect that crappy reel to reel to achieve what you proposed?
    Really? Why not say, "this plugins will make your music sound like shit, just like cheap tape recorders sounded back in the day. If you are looking for lo-fi, this plugin is it."

With that said, I wish you good luck in your endeavours.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

"Our aim is to replicate the sound of a consumer-level unit widely used in the 70s Japanese market."

Goal is to replicate that AKAI bad sounding unit, not another unit, but that one..
    So I guess they delivered?

You could say: "this plugins will make your music sound just as bad as cheap tape recorders sounded back in the day. If you are looking for lo-fi, this plugin is it."

Still true, no shit involved.. :P

19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

You can make a fuzz box with those Akai 4000s just like Joe Perkins did

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I used to use one back in the 80's to good result. Just slam the needle and instant gratification. I got a unit with an iffy transport at a street fair in NYC for 20 bucks.

21. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Ritchie Blackmore used an AIWA tape recorder as a preamp or booster or whatever the fuck.

upload_2023-8-14_13-38-58.jpeg

No wonder he switched to D&D music later on.
    And Candice's boobs, of course.