Neuro basses production

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Netserker, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Netserker

Netserker Member

I would like to discover new methods of neuro bass production, because most of the time my neuro basses is too heavy after a lot of effects and when i use saw wave the top frequencies sound like freid :). Mostly it sounds too stodgy, so hard to get clean and perfect bass.
    If you know something about synthesis of neuro dnb basses or technical tips you are welcome to share you experience of producing

3. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Look up "sine compression bass".
    Pretty simple. Get a sine, clip it to shit, put a modulated filter, cut highs, clip it to shit, put a modulated filter with a different modulation, cut highs, clip it to shit, put a modulated filter...

4. Netserker

Netserker Member

Highs is a problem for me, is it necessary to cut highs all the time? Usually everything about 12khz sounds like shit but without it bass sounds less сlose and filled.

5. justwannadownload

Don't cut highs after the last clipper then.
    Highs are also a problem for me when it comes to synths. What I learned is, additive and FM synths are better at highs than subtractive ones. And that no highs are better than crappy ones.

You generally want to have less lows and highs *before* waveshaping for it to sound cleaner. There are exceptions - sine compression is one for subs, the "tape denoise trick" is one for highs, for example. But as a general rule you attenuate both before distortion and, if needed, bring them back after.

6. justwannadownload

Oh, and using a saw for subs is a bad idea. Better use sine or triangle for clean subs and square for rumbly subs.
    Unless you do Reece bass, but then you need to cut the fundamental from your unisone saw and replace it with a sine. And cut highs anyways.
    And yes, cut highs from the square as well. They'll be back after distortion.

7. dondada

dondada Rock Star

just grab the bass signal - prefx, prefader
    send it to (grab it) another channel and mix it in to taste (with HP)

if its too wild prefx, send it to another channel before the last LP and grab it then,
    apply lowpass and do the prefx trick from above on this channel

the volume ratio should be something 10/5 to 1, meaning high frequency is often
    equal to bass, but should be a 10th or a 5th of volume

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Layer basses with top-end modulation moulations/effects/FSU. Most people think neuro basses are single basses. You can get get creative and have awesome sounds from layering several sounds/sources (lowpassed square or FM, modulated filtered and squelchy midrange/highs, noise, width/reverb/room, etc) and applyeffects, that together make up "one sound". It's sound design candy store and a lot of fun. There are too many tips and trix to cover in a single post. It's more about a journey for you to discover all the trix, as there is no "right way" to create "basses" (even though these "basses" cover a lot of frequencies) like this.

9. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

I thought neuro basses was like street level low life's meth cooking, everyone has it's own little recipe, usually found by experimentation and pure chance XD . To get "clean" and perfect "bass" sounds I usually just cut the lows of the overprocessed signal and add sub with some saturated white noise if needed but this is a very common technique. But is strange to me to talk in that terms when talking neuro as I like basses gritty and dirty. I agree with Baxter on the layering and I can add that you can try not "commonly used" for neuro synths for doing that layering. One I had a lot of fun with was Generate and it's Magma Chaoitic Oscilator, you can get really good weird oddely rhytmic sounds combiend with automation and filtering.

10. Netserker

Netserker Member

What's about dynamic? As for me OTT is too hard compressor in almost all cases. It's better to use common compression which will save dynamic of bass but many producers use OTT to smack up basses

11. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

Yes it is, for me is a "let's even in volume lows, mids and highs" type of preset and you don't want that in all cases. If I want smack I use regular compression after doing multiband saturation (and balance lows mid and highs to my taste) on Saturn2, for example.

12. racoon_one

racoon_one Newbie

What I learned from Noisia and Koan Sound is that you just need to layer things correctly and do not overdo certain movements (low or high pass, passes or any other filters) and just play around with them at a minimal stage and only after the automations add some powerful compressions and distortions or whatever you like using. so yes, experiment within your favourite VST like serum or operator or massive and play around with vocoders, filters and distortions until you find the sweet spot. As long as for the frequencies after distortion, use a good visualizer like vision 4x as vst or Spectrum Analyzer (Ableton) and Wave Candy (FL Studio). Have fun automating everything! :)

13. coralmay

coralmay Member

sine compression is the key to it, though if you use a wavetable synthesizer with some that have sounds with neuro characteristics, you can skip ahead, a lot of it the movement comes from filters, notch and peak filters, compressing downwards and upwards, bringing all of the movement, some people do it with FM, 2 sine waves with 1+ octave and doing light movements, distortion and lowpass and phasers, you can do it on serum, phaseplant, etc. i suggest look for koan sound tutorials on their patreon or noisia related content. theres a tutorial on youtube for sine compression that is kinda extensive but explains how to make regular clean neuro basses.

lower the upwards compression on the plugin and disable some of the high bands, as it pulls artifacts, ableton you can also do the same thing. trying less harsh settings, if you want control + clicking on the band and it disables the compression on that, either upwards or downwards. OTT is good for pulling stuff up, you can use regular upwards and downwards compression but it can be convenient to speed up the process, also doing the filter movements manually is gonna cost you a lot of effort but once you get the idea, it turns right.