Nektar releases Impact LX49 Controller Keyboard

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by SillySausage, Oct 28, 2013.

1. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Nektar has announced that it is now shipping the Impact LX49 controller keyboard, the first product in a new line of budget Nektar products, all offering integration with many of the most popular DAW software solutions.

Nektar Impact LX49
    [​IMG]

The 49 note velocity sensitive, full-size keyboard is fully featured with 9 faders, 9 control buttons, 8 pots, 6 transport buttons, 8 velocity sensitive pads, foot switch socket and control wheels. 5 user presets are designed for GM setups, “MIDI learn” capable DAWs and other music software.

The Impact LX49’s real magic shows with the unique DAW integration which offers pre-mapped support for Cubase, Digital Performer, Garageband, Logic, Nuendo, Reason, Sonar and Studio One, with additional DAW support scheduled for following release. Paying close attention to each DAW individually, Nektar has developed custom integration with a common workflow. As such, Impact LX49’s integration goes way beyond the typical basic Mixer mapping. Users of supported DAWs will be able to navigate tracks, switch between controlling mixer or instruments, trigger and set loop points, switch metronome on/off, Undo and more.

For building drum beats and grooves the pad learn function allows for quick mapping of sounds on the 8 velocity sensitive pads. Just select a pad, find the right sound on the keyboard and the assignment is done. Moving loop points via the transport buttons means the flow continues, totally un-interrupted by mouse clicks.
    Navigate to instrument tracks and continue building a song, change patches, tweak instrument parameters – all this functionality right from Impact LX49 to keep the music in focus. Finally get the mix right by switching to the mixer preset with volume, pan, mute and solo assigned for banks of 8 tracks in your DAW. A bank up/down function moves the assignments of controls to cover all mixer channels. To avoid parameter jumping, the Impact LX DAW integration also features soft-takeover (not supported in all DAWs) which means that parameters only change when a controls physical position matches the DAW parameter position.

The pre-mapped functionality is enough to get most going, and maybe this is all you ever need. However to cater for individual styles of creating there is plenty of scope for customization. Impact LX49 features a unique “Grab” feature (not supported in all DAWs) for supported DAWs which allows users to literally ‘grab‘ several instrument parameters at a time and map them to any controls on the fly. The 5 user presets in addition have been set up for GM compatibility and learn friendly setups mean that you can still create setups the way you are used to with generic MIDI controllers. Impact LX49 is a complete generic MIDI controller so you can switch between the pre-mapped setups and your own by pushing a button.
    For users who haven’t settled on a DAW yet, the included Studio One Artist comes complete with Impact LX49 setup and control for instruments as well as effect inserts. This is a great starting point to become familiar with the power of Impact LX49 but also a great addition to any existing creative music production setup.

Nektar Impact LX49 is available to purchase early November for MSRP $179.99 USD/149.99 EUR/£124.99 GBP.

More information:Nektar / Impact LX49

3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

The website is showing support for Reaper as well now. Hope its true as i just ordered one :)

They are going for £109 in the UK.

4. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Can you give a review here when you get it, seriously considering this one for a Chrimbo prezzie (S1 user myself) :wink:

5. angie

angie Producer

Not bad! But my glorious old Evolution, no more in production, has 23 potentiometers and a lot of buttons and 61 keys and it survived to a flood!! :bleh: :wow:

6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Looks.. umm... cheap? :dunno:

7. Shrek

Shrek Noisemaker

Since i'm using Cubase 7, the Nektar Panorama P6 is more interesting for me so i think i'm gonna replace my Novation Impulse 61 for the Nektar Panorama P6. Full control for Cubase. Better than the Impulse.

8. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Damn... I don't think I can live with just 8 pads.

I'd pull the trigger otherwise. I need minimal knobs and faders cuz I make golden era boom bap...but I need 12 pads minimum. ugh

9. oska

oska Noisemaker

Why do I get the feeling that this is the one I have been waiting for? Wanted to buy a keyboard for a long time but somehow nothing clicked within $200.
    Anyone else feeling this way? This looks classy - very important for me, after all we are making music, aesthetics is everything. Imagine how sad the world would be if it only produced functional goods. The keyboard should inspire you to indulge more. People always ask me why they should buy an expensive guitar if they practice at home only. All i know is that since i bought my Gibson Les Paul, i play it much more than i used to on my previous cheap guitar.
    Looks apart, this also seems sturdy, simple but does everything without bells & whistles. What say? Anyone knows how the keys are or feel?

thanks

10. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

thanks for the news SirSillySausage, looks very interesting!

I wonder if it's any better than M-Audio Axiom :dunno:

I'd rather go with Panorama P1 and keep keys and controller separate.

actually it looks like a 3D model :wow:

11. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

playability is more important than looks, would like the arturia, but know the wife won't pay £350 for that, but this one certainly fits the requirements for me (and her purse) :thumbsup:

@ Saint probably most pre-launch marketing piccys are 3d nowadays :snuffy:
    Willum says he has ordered one, so might be a nice idea for him to take some piccys and write a short review if/when he gets it :mates:

edit: wrong price (61 key given) about £270 for the 49 key version

12. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

I've read mixed reviews on the Arturia Keylabs. Some say the keys feel cheap and weak. Not exactly what I want in a $350 keyboard.

13. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

well they can't feel any cheaper than with what I currently use, "a bad workman always blames his tools". The keylabs have a lot of good reviews, but I always go to a shop and have a play before actually buying stuff. Same here, will read the reviews, will seek a shop who has one, and will go and have a play. :wink:

14. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

after i bought Fatar, basically any other keyboard feels cheap and weak :bleh:

15. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Touche!

I was looking into getting a fatar keybed from doepfer and building a midi controller from one of the ucapps designs...

One day when I have the time....

16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

No MIDI I/O... :dunno: Otherwise it looks good. I need a MIDI keyboard with both IN/OUT and possibly THRU even.

I too have Evolution MIDI keyboard. :) It majestically survived lots of usage and abusage... :rofl: But the wheels are not as reliable as they used to be, especially the pitch wheel, and I can't repair it, unfortunately. I still have hard time finding a better one. My eyes are pretty much set on Akai MAX49 or MPK, or Arturia KeyLab. I would really like to buy Keylab, but I'm worried about the quality of the keys. Build quality seems really good, though. I should just demo it myself at the shop some day, because I like synth action keyboards, not too much weight to them, but also not to less. I always loved Roland keyboards and Yamaha keyboards, like D-50 or SY-77, and I always found Korg keyboards a bit too "clanky" for my taste.

17. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Can someone give a "hands on" review of the key action and feel please?

And what about pressure sensitivity (aftertouch)?

18. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

patience, it's not out in the shops yet :excl:

19. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

IMO, almost all MIDI controllers with that $149-$499 range have "cheap feeling: keys, but then again, that's subjective.

20. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

+1... andespecially under 200.

I (and speaking as someone who has had PLENTY of cheap crap) can just look at that thing and tell its not built well. *no*

21. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

I don't know about this controller. But Nektar Panorama P6/P4 is the best bang for the buck right now as far as midi controllers go. It's competitive with controllers in the 1k range and is half the price. You can "express" your attitude on the keys quite well, and the pads make the Akai MPK49 and Novation Impulse pads seem like a joke. If you use Reason or Cubase you are set with the Panorama board. I have Cubase but I still use Studio One.. that's just me. Anyhow, if the keys or pads on this Impact board are anywhere near the Panorama feel I would say it's worth it if it's only $179. Whenever I've spent more than 1k on a keyboard it never has and never will be in the form of a standard midi controller.. not when I can add another raw performance board to the collection. Again.. that's just me.