Negative Happy Birthday ?

Discussion in 'Education' started by dragonhill, Dec 30, 2017.

1. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Negative harmony is very bad name, I hope it won't stick.
    The whole hype around this guy is really funny = "M" is a negative "W" = mind blown...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics)

Watch the whole thing:

From Bach to Bartok (the master of "negative harmony and melodies" - no wonder that most of his works sounds horrible) and other modern composer - plenty of math "tricks"

Also, Straus - Introduction to post tonal theory for really detailed "negative harmony" without the nonsense of Levy and Colier.

• Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

the studio version of the one man show live:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

If Collier is simply hype and nonsense, please introduce us to someone else new that plays all instruments, sings Take 6 vocals and exudes that much fun in the studio and live.

The fun part is the most important.

Also if you have the time please watch the first question asked in ' Part 1' of the interview about the super Lydian scale. I can't 'wrap' my head around that one.

It could be called ' mirrored ' harmony?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2018
  4. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

The quality is ok but the mirrored solo is hilarious.

5. Warped Effect

Warped Effect Ultrasonic

Does this MP3 sound like Negative Harmony ?, i used zplane reTune and used Reverse Chromatic Scale for happy birthday song lol :unsure:

Reverse Chromatic Happy Birthday Song
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/9cr0pb65a5zn77c/Reverse_Chromatic_Happy_Birthday.mp3

Original Happy Birthday Song

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

7. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

I think this "showtime" of negative music bla bla bla it is very Dump.. non ofense..it is my opinion.. and a lot of people is making covers with this.. "thing" "showtime" "3 minutes of fame" thing.. it is much much harder.. to make a good Song.. and not following.. Books.. or ideas of others.. like a computer algorithm.. it is like saying.. OH man look how the blue era of picasso looks like in RED ... ¡ hahahaha--- man.. this is .. internet's new.. thing.. it can make anything.. sound like a "amazing black hole of beautiful layes that connects you to the underground black hole.. ¡ bla bla bla.. to be honest.. this is 100% crap.
    end of the history. negative bla bla bla hahahaha.. come on. ¡ amazing. don't follow the rules.. but hey follow this NEW negative rule ¡ hahahaha. it is like quincy jones..man his music is really really really really.. BAD,.

8. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

don't tell @23322332 J.S. Bach is crap
    @lasteno Negative covers is one aspect.
    This negative harmony is just another tool to have in your back pocket for song writing.

Quincy's Back on the Block is one of my favorite CDs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2018
  9. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Jeff Maneville

Jeff Maneville Ultrasonic

> it is much much harder.. to make a good Song.. and not following.. Books.. or ideas of others.. like a computer algorithm.

Interesting comment ... I've written dozens of new computer algorithms and I would think those were trivial next to what Jacob has done (100% crap as you say).

I don't know, your grammar is horrible, you seem to have trouble putting together a sentence. I would have to wonder what kind of brilliant harmonies you have written. Do you even have a clue what Jacob is discussing regarding theory?

> negative bla bla bla hahahaha

Maybe you should revisit what was posted. You might just learn something new :)

11. petepx

petepx Kapellmeister

The video with Herbie is amazing, thanks for sharing. I like the complicity and the tenderness between the two generations. I like the humility, the smartness... And more than that, the emotional expressiveness.

12. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

interesting!

the first two examples i found just hysterical. i would not for my life voluntarily listen to any of them and claim to enjoy it. but, maybe live, live would inject some other aspects to the experience. but interesting still.

as theory experimenting this is really positive, but always keeping in mind theory don't make great tunes though. taste and feeling is 99% in music. the one with herbie was really nice!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  13. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

If music is meant to communicate emotion to others, Jacob in my opinion doesn’t do it for me. His voice is pure, but lacks character and the human charm of individual imperfections. His negative harmonic approach is convoluted and easier to achieve the same sound by using other methods. It’s an opinion. We all have them. I’m just surprised by the amount of people not just here but throughout the world who have subscribed to institutionalized jazz harmonic and melodic methods implemented by the big schools who are simply in it for money.

@Moogerfooger please enlighten us with the ' other methods '. And why you think it is ' convoluted '?
    Prof. moogerfooger the floor is yours......

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  14. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

15. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

In the key of C a G7 to C chord combo becomes Fm6 to C.
    G7 is made up of G B D F
    all you have to do is use the mirror between Eflat and E.
    To change G7 to Fm6:
    G is four semitones away to the E so count 4 semitones from Eflat to get C
    B is 5 semitones away from Eflat so from E count 5 semitones to get A flat
    D is 2 away from Eflat so go 2 from E to get F
    F is one away from E so go one in the opposite direction to get D
    The direction doesn't matter as long as you keep that direction with the same amount of semitones.

@Moogerfooger since this was too ' convoluted ' for you let me give you a tip.
    When counting above 5, start using the fingers on your other hand.

16. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

@Moogerfooger I can't argue with your nitpicky opinion about a brilliant multi instrumentalist and singer capable of reproducing micro tonal notes with his voice.

But, since you chose to ' disagree ' with my opinion that his ability to sing while playing those bass lines was ' mind boggling ', please help me form the world-according-to-@moogerfooger opinion.