Need to upgrade from Windows 7 home premium. Where to next?

Discussion in 'PC' started by thethirdperson, Mar 20, 2016.

1. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

So yesterday I noticed when I went to my to my system information screen 32gb ram installed (16gb ram useable). At first I thought that meant some of my chips had gone bad so I spent a couple hours running diagnostic stuff last night. Then today I found out that Windows 7 home premium only allows up 16gb of ram to be used . . . I would think that I would have realized something like that but since the main screen shows that it has 32gb ram I figured it was working at full capacity =/

Either way where to next? Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 or Windows 10?

I'm especially interested in some of the lite versions that reduce all the extra install junk and optimize your CPU for Music Production.

Here's what I use: I've recently fallen head over heels in love with Studio One since the 3.2 update. However I used to be in a completely monogamous relationship with FL Studio so most of my projects are still in it's format and I'd like to go back and "chill" from time to time.

Also, since I prefer not to have regular internet access at home I keep my desktop offline.

Here's what my future holds: I'm really interested in the Touch screen integration of DAW's and am hoping to get a touch screen at somepoint. Also since I have 4 RAM slots so if the price for 16GB RAM sticks get cheap enough . . . who knows I might just take the plunge someday.

Cheers <3
    So there's the option of upgrading my version of Windows 7 to Pro or Ultimate or there's the option of going to a new version of Windows 8 or 10.Either way where to next?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

@r4e I remember at some point you mentioned in one of the threads about dual booting a customized lite version of 8.1 as well as 7 that sounded rather fantastic.

Sorry for tagging you, I have been searching for that particular thread for a while now but I haven't been able to find it.

4. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

i like 764 Pro, does everything

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.
    There are tons of lite versions - my personal favourite is the one from hemu.moto on TPB.

6. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

@Andrew What about it do you like so much? Have you compared this version against Windows 7 ice? Any other thoughts . . . is there someway to skip installing and go straight to upgrading a legit version?

7. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Choose between Win7 ultimate or Win10 Enterprise LTSB.
    Most people including me do not recommend Win8.
    Win10 Enterprise LTSB is best option( Closest to Win7 ) among all versions of Win10 if you are upgrading from Win7.
    You probably do not like any other version of Win10 because they are full of bloatwares.