Need To Be Online On Win10?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Lois Lane, May 29, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

My brother-in-law just told me that he thinks that I need to be online in order to use Win 10 at least on the first startup. I just got a new machine which has all the current updates installed and don't have a Microsoft account as I've been on Win 8 for the last 10 years or so. I find it hard to believe that this could be so, but here we are. If true, is there a workaround? I don't buy software that needs to be connected to the web to register (besides Plasmonic which I use the "family" version) and don't game and won't use it for anything other than composing music and perhaps some visual medium stuff,,,so wassup with all this?

3. GeoffreyMcJefferson

GeoffreyMcJefferson Kapellmeister

No, that's Windows 11, not 10. You should be able to install Windows 10 without plugging in your ethernet or connecting to your Wi-fi.

Starting with 11, they're forcing users to create an online Microsoft-Account, as opposed to a local user account. There are apparently ways around that, but ask yourself, do you REALLY want to use an OS by a company that's employing the "great reset" strategy of taking away control from the user and forcing them into an online service ecosystem, where they basically give up the control over their own computer? You need to be aware that's exactly what Microsoft is doing. Once the software I use stops supporting Windows 10, it's gonna be Linux only for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Thanks for the answer, I was hoping that it wasn't the case of needing to be online with Windows 10. I feel the same as you, I'm not willing to live within their rigid ecosystem and lose what sovereignty I might have in that regard. I'm not most probably going to be around much longer than 6-8 years tops (a slow but ratcheting up terminal disease) so probably this will be my last machine. I don't need any more software than I have now to do what I do musically and so not the need to cross over to the other side to 11. Linux would be my next logical step though I most likely won't have the need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Dan Fuerth

Dan Fuerth Kapellmeister

If you have a second windows machine :

1. Do not install or be online when setting up Windows 10
    2. Grab a flash drive with Puppy linux ( or use a second windows machine with a usb-sata-nvme reader)
    3. First thing is to setup and disable about 50+ services which have no business in a home desktop
    4. Install Google Chrome or Firefox
    5. After this step either use puppy linux or remove that drive and bring into the other machine
    Delete C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\ delete all this garbage in here.
    (This will delete the antimalware crap that uses ram and cpu cycles and it's a big complaint on Windows 10)
    Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\ delete all this garbage in here.

6. Back to the windows services you will notice that some services can not be set to "Disable" even though you can stop them, you can go to the registry and delete them there. A few require that you have "Trusted Installer" rights because these are the spyware in Windows 10 that collect and send data back for Microsoft to sell, they do not hide this fact they ARE SELLING this data.

7. Install your applications etc what you will need as a basic setup ( no crap )
    8. Install the free version of Macrium Reflect and use a spare 2.5" HDD, SSD, NVME on a usb enclosure.
    Back up the main Drive to that new drive in the enclosure using Macrium reflect free edition.
    What this does is you now have a complete full image of only the partions ( not the full empty space).
    This gives you a complete backup of your main drive, if anything happens just use macrium again to make a backup to the new drive and put that drive inside your Desktop or Laptop
    A very fast way to get back in a few minutes.

All my desktops, laptops are all using full backups on external USB SSD enclosures.
    Windows 11 also applies to these tips but a few more things to disable and delete, you can bypass the Microsoft account garbage tips online for this.

Windows 10 debloater is a good free tool do many of these tweeks all in one shot.

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

If you want to use a really nice and user friendly, slimmed down version of Windows 10, I cannot recommend Ghostspectre Windows 10 lite enough. :wink:It's not hard to find on the net, but if you can't find it just ask and I will provide it for you. :wink:

Otherwise, absolutely what Dan said.

My time is also running out, brother. Sometimes I think it's for the best when depression takes over (over the whole slew of shit that happened to me last 2 years) , but most of the time just chill and make the best of it. "Who gives a fuck" attitude. :wink:

edit: I have a question for the Windows guys, too, since I'm not into Windows that much lately. If you had a choice of 22H2, 21H2, 21H1, 20H2, 20H1 Windows 10 version, which one would you install for audio work? I can't remember which one is the best, but 21H2 is lingering in my damaged mind. :P I have 21H2 on my laptop and it's *probably* working well. :) That's how much I use it.

I think Microsoft introduced some very unwanted updates in the 22H2 W10 update if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised. Nothing surprise me anymore that comes from Redmond.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

The last time I installed Windows 10, there was a text-only button in the bottom left corner of the "Connect to your network" page, allowing you to proceed offline.

For Windows 11 (I haven't tried this myself), Rufus claims to be able to create installation mediums that do not require network, TPM or Secure Boot.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

With Windows 10 you only have to be online once and that is to register your license. You connect once automatically to Microsoft who then verifies your license i.e. the license key. The license key is issued only once.

Tell your brother-in-law to download this tool: O&O ShutUp10++
    The free antispy tool for Windows 10 www.oo-software.com/de/shutup10

• List
  9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

For me it's 22H2.

10. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

If you have win 11 pro you do not need to be online.
    I also will move to Linux since the MS poop is getting old.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  11. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

This is of course correct. There should already be ISO's out there that install win11 just like 10 - as in complete autonomy. However for internet usage I would NOT employ WIN11 for A N Y T H I N G... Unless you can filter ALL that it sends and receives on an internet facing vlan down to bare essentials you really have no idea what the fuck it's xmitting/receiving. As I have said before, WIN7 or less are the best tools for safer internet use. XP is best of the NT systems - there is VERY little garbage "built-into" that one that cannot be reverse engineered successfully. And by all means turn OFF win updates/defender garbage. All these "services" are just engraved invitations to allow MS to use you and your hardware for whatever corporate bullshit they want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. acatnamedharmony

acatnamedharmony Ultrasonic

You can actually create a Windows 2 Go drive using Rufus using any Windows distro you like including modified distros. I used the Ghost Spectre Windows 10 Compact (compact since laptops need battery management stuff) (I used whatever was latest) regardless I can go back and forth from my Desktop to Laptop using an NVME drive I stuck in an enclosure and connects via usb-c. Also very easy to disable network adapters/wifi once you have things up and running. I would suggest getting online though when you first boot and using Ghost Tools which makes it super easy to get all the drivers needed, registers your copy of windows and a few other registry hacks like disabling windows updates and such.

I'm skipping Windows 11 but you can bypass tpm using regedit also

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  13. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Zone94's Integral editions of 10/11 have the online stuff requirements patched out + some other stuff. If you want your Windows experience to be fairly baseline, then they should work. Read the notes on activation!

http://zone94.com/downloads/software/operating-systems