Need suggestions for a good 25 to 49 keys MIDI controller

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Bunford, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Buy a piano,An upright with midi out, Join the real world

2. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Look at this (below link). It's a workhorse w/ Roland SUPERNATURAL engine, vocoder, 2 digital and 1 analog voice, drum sequencer, it's great! No assignable pads, knobs or sliders though.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/jd-xi/

3. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

4. vibetribe

vibetribe Ultrasonic

Don't listen to people saying to avoid M-Audio. Criticboys are just as dangerous as fanboys. I'm a world-class keyboardist and I used a M-Audio KeyStudio 49 for 6 years damn near everyday before I had any issues with it. My advice is to check out the features and benefits of all of the keyboards that are currently available ONLINE, and then go into a Guitar Center or whatever music instrument retailer and play the ones you've narrowed down to see if you like the touch, build quality, and real-time performance capabilities.

Check out the CTRL 49 by M-Audio. It's looking pretty damn sweet.

http://www.m-audio.com/ctrl49

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. TDSTDSTDS

TDSTDSTDS Newbie

If you want to look outside the box, have a peek at the Roli Seaboard and Roli Lightpad M.

6. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I mean, if ya want just "bare" minimalist functionality, don't care about (no) weighted action, pads and knobs and shit I'd rec'd Korg Microkey Air2. Kinda bluetooth is godsend. Also pretty cheap, lasts ages despite clumsy af producer abuse >____> Unlike M-Audio, where everything (wheels etcs esp) snaps after a month. It's pretty tiny, tho, so maybe try before buy. But that's an advantage afaik. Portable af, even 61 key version. Although, no AT =( Kinda hope they do one w/ it. Best thing evah, if ya got child-sized hands like me, tho...!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'm not criticising M-Audio keyboards for nothing. All of their keybeds I've tried feel rubbery, knobs and faders feel just cheap and wheels start to send random MIDI messages after a few months of use. They might be a good choice for a beginner, though. To learn what not to buy in the future. :rofl: Or for someone who's not using keyboards much.

However, maybe their most expensive ones aren't that bad... Those 76 and 88 keys ones. One of my clients have a 76 weighted-key [that's more like "weighted"] keyboard and it seems solid and he's been using it for quite some years without a problem. It was kinda cheap for a 76 "weighted keys" keyboard... 400 euro or thereabouts.

Novation is also hit and miss. It can be an expensive miss, too. My Remote 37 doesn't feel built like a tank, either, but I'm not gigging with it and when there's no axes and hammers nearby, I'm generally gentle with my gear. :) Their Impulse keyboards feel just a notch better than M-Audio ones. Top of the line Remote SLs feel better and are generally better quality than Impulse, but nothing can beat Akai and Native Instruments keyboards these days [except expensive piano keyboards, but we're not talking about them here]. Unfortunately they are also the most expensive ones, but at least you get what you paid for and they last a long time. :wink:

Speaking of cheap MIDI keyboards I tried an Alesis one couple of years ago and it seemed kinda fine. Especially for the price which is like M-audio. This is just a hint to maybe try an Alesis keyboard and see if you like it. I can't say anything about its durability, though. It just seemed surprisingly alright to me after 5min of fiddling with it. I even thought I might buy it... :wink:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. vibetribe

vibetribe Ultrasonic

I've used just about all of the brands that are making midi keyboard controllers and just about all of the DAW controllers(ones with faders, knobs, drum pads, etc.) suffer from what you're talking about(poor keybed feel, cheap knobs/wheels, etc.). So I don't see why you're singling out M-Audio. I had a M-Audio KeyStudio 49 for 6 years playing it just about everyday before I had ONE issue with it. It ultimately got parked due to the USB jack getting messed up which was MY fault for tripping over the cable MANY times over the years. Somebody handy with a soldering gun could probably fix it in less than 10 minutes. I replaced it with a Nektar Impact LX 49+, and while it has the DAW controller features that the KeyStudio did not, the keyboard action is not as good as the OLD KeyStudio.

Just be fair, dude. To tell someone not to use a product that you haven't even used is not cool, which means telling someone not to use an ENTIRE brand is not cool.

9. saltwater

saltwater Guest

you already realized the problems associated with midi controllers, its all about the integration.
    and you are right, usually mapping is just a nightmare and not that dynamic.

since you are "not a keyboard" type of guy, and you use Ableton, its probably a good idea to give Push a shot.
    Its the best controller on the market in terms of integration, with a dynamic workflow that adjusts to your selection in Ableton.

constant refinements and updates specifically designed for your DAW is another thing you wont get on other controllers, that makes a huge difference.

downside is the price which is high but justified for a device of this quality which is really good.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I didn't say that only M-Audio sucks. I pretty much said the same as you - that most cheaper MIDI keyboards suck, except Akai, some Novation keyboards and expensive MIDI pianos. I also mentioned that ultra-cheap Alesis keyboard that kinda surprised me for its price. Maybe read what I said one more time. You actually don't disagree with me. :wink:

Most of my clients, musician friends and myself have or had M-Audio keyboards. I always jump on the opportunity to try them. I've got M-Audio Keystation-49 collecting dust because wheels are sending random messages. Well, I've been using it for a number of years, but it's rebranded Evolution keyboard. It feels better than your average M-Audio keyboard, that's why I bought it. So I'm not speaking out of my arse or from "high above." :wink:

I speak only from personal experience, which arguably can be deceiving, yes. I also mentioned that one of my clients still has a 76-key version of some M-Audio keyboard and he's been using it for years without problems, but it does feel like a 400 euro weighted keyboard. Can't compare it to a Yamaha, Kurzweil, Kawai or Roland electric piano, no way.

Cheers! :headbang: