Need some (tough) feedbacks!

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Brank Footh, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Brank Footh

Brank Footh Newbie

Hey guys, I'm totally new here and glad that I found you. I'm french "bedroom" producer based in Netherlands and I really need some feeedback/help to go on.
    So here I am with a totally unfinished and unmixed track, kinda glitch-hop style:

BRKFTH

I always have difficulties to finish a track when it comes to structure and buiding up nice evolutions, breakdowns etc... So far I'm relatively happy with the "main section" of the track but I'm quite stucked now and can't figure out how to make the track flow. I wonder how to make natural transitions between the different parts. For example, when the drop comes up after the intro, I found it's going down in intensity, can't figure what's missing to make this bigger. Also think I could bring up a new element (perhaps something melodic that goes on top) after the breakdown (which I'm totally unsatisfied with at the moment...), but can't find anything satisfying... Perhaps I should also add some FX along the track...
    So could you please take 4 minutes to listen and don't hesitate to be tough. Any comments are welcome, especially about those points, structure, transition, building up a track... For now I didn't focus at all on mixing, some drum elements will be changed (toms, snare...) so my apologize if some elements sounds crappy. Cheers.

3. Eddie Pedalo

Eddie Pedalo Newbie

Sounds very good dude, I enjoyed it, its fine as it is. a few more fx might works, its quite minimal at the moment, though thats not a bad thing. Your arrangement is fine. what it lacks, if anything is a narrative element, either a musical, rhythmical, or vocal one. something that tells a story, pulls the listener through your track and gives it a 'face', a personality, and a story. in a pop track that would usualy be the vocal. as it is, this tune is a bit faceless.
    Hope thats helpful.

Lekker.

4. Yubidi

Yubidi Newbie

I agree with Eddie Pedalo.
    "something that tells a story, pulls the listener through your track and gives it a 'face', a personality, and a story. in a pop track".
    It is só not my kind of music, But have to give you a thumbs up !
    The second part is kind of groovy !

To get things better ?
    Is getting real musicians have a look at it, kill those darlings and go from there.

I do understand, why you dig this kind of "music".
    I have been on drugs too.
    :wink:

I might not be much of a help...
    But I see where you wanna get at.
    :sad:

5. Devlin

Devlin Newbie

Agree with the guys in here, you need a vocal or something else.

At 1:55 you have a synth starting doing a pitch up over and over again. Followed by a big riser. That synth annoys me cause you hear it too much in your track. And further in your track, you hear the same rise up synth. Use another sound. A sound you havent had in your soundcomposition.

At 2:32 the break, i was hoping for a fat break. But nope. A little pause around this time, so no sound should be cool.

Dont like the snare sound. It is too soft, not saying anything. That reverse snare on the second beat could be more subtle. Try it softer followed by a regular snare. Maybe some reverb so it is breathing more. Or a subtle tiny bit of delay. Just a bit so it breath more.

The kick could be louder too or harder. I think it is a taste in music.

The second part after the break is actually just like the first part. I dont hear differences. Could use an extra instrument there or a change of sounds.

Reminds me of Koan Sound.

6. Brank Footh

Brank Footh Newbie

Thanks for your answers guys, really helps me!
    Devlin i totally agree with you about snare and kick. In fact I kinda took "random" sounds and focused more on building basslines so far, so next step, editing drums I guess.
    Thanks for the advice about this pitch-up synth. And you're right, the second part is similar to the first one, that's mainly what annoys me in the track. Can't figure out what to add in this second part, I'm gonna dig. Already tried to add some chopped vocals but I erased everything, was not satisfied with it at all.

Have to build an outro too.

Anyway thx again, I really appreciate.

Oh and Yubidi:
    "I do understand, why you dig this kind of "music".
    I have been on drugs too."

Ahaha! I'm not on drugs anymore, I'm a father now! Have to keep straight face (which is not necessarily easy when you live in Netherlands :))

7. Devlin

Devlin Newbie

Beer, caffeine, nicotine, they are all drugs but just common drugs in Netherlands or rest of the world...

When can we listen to your song update?

Lots of Dutchies in here! Nooit gedacht dat het er zoveel waren.

8. Brank Footh

Brank Footh Newbie

Was off for the week end. Back on it right now! I'll keep you in touch. *yes*

9. awkward

awkward Noisemaker

In my experience, sometimes spending too much time on a track by trying to figure out what's missing will grind your creativity to a halt. I think it might help to step away from the song for a while, work on something new, learn a few new tricks, concentrate on an aspect of your skills that you'd like to improve.
    Once you return to this track, you'll hear it with new ears and have new ideas.

10. Devlin

Devlin Newbie

Agree. Make more songs, listen to others, get the tutorials and you will have new ideas!