Need some Nebula tips

Discussion in 'Software' started by RMorgan, Mar 20, 2016.

1. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Hey folks,

So, I've been experimenting with Nebula lately and I've got to admit that it sounds incredibly good, way better than its algorithmic competitors.

It's got a horrible interface, a terrible workflow and an incomprehensible preset naming system, but man, it sounds great.

I've been trying some tape programs and some of them really take that digital edge off better than any emulation I've ever tried. It's almost like magic.

Anyway, I'd appreciate if any experienced Nebula user could point me to the best sounding libraries, specially EQs, tape and console emulations.

Any other tips are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,

R.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. shortikno

shortikno Member

All the AlexB stuff is amazing! I love the modern black console and eq (API) . Basically all his stuff is top notch. Nebula is the best. Nothing sounds better. With the introduction of MIXFX from Presonus (and the ability to apply across the tracks) - It would be awesome to see an integration some time in the future.

As far as tips, with Nebula it's all about Gain Staging. Some libs like being hit at -18, some -20, some even hotter. Read the PDFs that came with your libs. And use a good meter like VUMT. If run properly, nothing can make a mix sound better than the proper use of Nebula libs. Even though I've seen some blasting of his stuff - I've even had great success with (some) of HenryOlonga's libs. Depends on the situation. But even for extreme circumstances I've thrown a mix through a Wollensak tape player and made it sound so authentic I was blown away.

Enjoy Nebula....I got hooked as soon as I figured out how to use it properly...Also freezing tracks is your friend with Neb! :)

...p.s.. the GUI never bothered me since AlexB stuff came with some cool skins. What bothers me the most about Neb (besides the CPU eating), is the (sometimes) 30-60 second load time of the plugin. Or if I have a mix with several Nebs on tracks, it can sometimes take 2 mins or more for the session to open and load all the Nebs. This happens in Sonar and S1. But either way any downside is worth the warmth you get imo...

my 2 cents

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016