Need Some Help Understanding The Demented Sounding 9/11 Firetruck Horns...

Discussion in 'Education' started by DJSabreblade, Aug 30, 2015.

1. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

I really want to know about where i can get those type of demented sounding September 11th 2001 firetruck alarms/horns I am working on a very hybrid soundtrack peice and its requiring some certain sounds I know would go perfect with it..now there is this one 9/11 video on youtube called..

dammit i removed the original name (i got goofy and changed it to something random :P) its 14:42 minutes though and the strange horn comes on at 3:45..i will have to upload the video to a file hoster if i cannot get some good responses from yall ;)

Any info helps, what kind of horns etc..! :)

3. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Well, I'm not exectly sure I understand what you are asking for, but from what I gather, you are creating a soundtrack and want the firetruck horns to sound spooky. Firstly, I would find a good sound library. Sound Ideas and the BBC make some good ones. Find a firetruck/police/alarm sound you like, and then apply effects to make it sound how you want. Reverb, modulation, doppler effect, maybe some granulation, etc. I don't think there's a set way to create what you are looking for, you just have to experiment.

Otherwise, you can find the type of horn you like in a 9/11 video or elsewhere, and import the audio into Sony Spectralayers Pro 3. There you can isolate the horn, it might be a bit of work to get it right but it's definitely possible with that software.

Incidentally here's an official spectralayers tutorial about pretty much exactly what you are trying to do. Skip to 7 mins if you already know about the basics of the software.

Good luck

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

This one has some really creepy sirens. I've never forgotten this video. The one that creeps me out is at 1:30

Have a look at this video too, at 15:10

5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

use RX4 Advanced or SpectraLayers Pro 3 to cut it from spectrum. These are 2 pro software to work with spectrum. I use RX4 to cut, restore, delete micro things without any destroying of audio (if to work with it too accurate and not so fast - to achieve extremely HQ sound)

6. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Ok thanks for the ideas guys. I want to know specifically what the type of horn/strange sound is @3:45 in a video on youtube that is specifically 14:42 minutes long, so i can try and find a louder version of it somewhere (or maybe go down to my local fire department and record it) Now to be honest i dont even know if this strange sound from that horrible day is from a firetruck. It honestly sounds very haunting and apocalyptic.. I am only assuming, but you know about people who assume things, ass-u-me ;)

One thing I know for a fact that it is always better to use the raw audio (rip it in wav) and just apply nothing but effects like reverb and stereo width expansion if necessary, but eq or isolatin usually ruins the original quality of it, i actually seldom use any form of eq or compression on anything other than the mastering stage these days. That way you get max dynamics/quality.

I will try and upload the video to a file hoster, so you guys might be able to tell me what kind of sound it is..do you guys know of any?

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Wtf are you on about? Just post the video.

There are firetrucks here:
    http://freesound.org/search/?q=fire+truck+siren&f=&s=score+desc&advanced=0&g=1

Are you talking about a simple sine wave with very slow sine (or triangle) LFO modulating pitch (plus some real ambience sounds and outdoor reverb)? Or are you talking about alternating major 3rd note (or square wave LFO on pitch)?

8. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Ok found it !!
    (its the sound that comes on from 3:45-3:47 approx)

the sound reminds me of something super post apocalyptic/ww3 invading aliens or something..

9. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

As someone who has come the the fire service profession, the sound you may be referring to may be the PASS devices or Personal Alert Safety System units. That sound haunts me! Every firefighter carries one and it is designed to activate if that firefighter stops moving. Some of those sounds are coming from firefighters that have been buried in the rubble.

Edit: Just saw the video...that is a siren sound used by many police and ambulances, the setting is called phaser on the siren. Search for the 1-V-15 siren.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Hmm ptpatty, i tried searching that siren thats just the regular sirens, I am referring to that strange background sound (listen carefully) and thanks. @ 3:45-3:47 approximately

11. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Yeah..if your talking about that one long blast, I'm not sure...maybe just a regular horn on an emergency vehicle. At 3:55 on the video, it is definitely the "phaser" on the siren.

12. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Phaser is near the end of the video

13. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

If that's what you're talking about, then I'd go with finding a sample (or creating your own with a synth) and processing it the way you want. That post-apocalyptic feel comes from all of the modulation it undergoes in the real world. Trying to cut it out using spectral processing tools isn't going to give you the effect you want, probably.

14. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Or are you talking about the low pitched rumble in the background? Cause I'm not exactly sure what that is, but it should be simple enough to recreate

15. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Yeah, I am referring to that demented horn-like blasssst. hope someone knows what the hell that was :P (aliens?? lol)

I need a louder high quality up close recorded version with a low SNR (the noise level is pretty high but i could mix it in pushing it way back but i want it defined and upfront) obviously.

16. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Oh now I know what it is you mean. As I see it you have 3 options: create it yourself using a synth (shouldn't be too complicated), find a sample, or isolate it with spectralayers. I don't know what kind of horn that is though, ptpatty can probably tell you. Sounds like an ambulance where I'm from.

17. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Sine wave oscillator.
    Triangle LFO (sine wave also works), set to modulate pitch. Set range to about an octave. Adjust rate/speed to ~17Hz.
    Adjust oscillator pitch (or play correlating midi note pitch) to taste, where you feel it sounds best (around 1000Hz to 1500Hz, according to my spectrum analyzer)

^ This is just some noodling with a sine oscillator and messing with different LFO shapes and speeds (in realtime). The first sound is probably the one you are after, explained above.

18. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

Cool sounds Baxter (grabbed it btw) but..read my previous 2 posts.. its not the standard sirens im after its a specific sound which im trying to figure out what thing or things made it, well it might be impossible to ever find out thing is it might not only be one siren, what could have happened is multiple sirens at once created that demented sound im not sure.

BTW this vid has some really good horns in it,not exactly the once im talking about above but still some really good ones to sample :

19. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

The "trumpet drone"? Vuvuzela? :)

Drone a trumpet and wash it in reverb. ;)