Need some feedback and suggestions

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by mkopans, Nov 26, 2014.

1. mkopans

mkopans Newbie

So I pulled together a little future R&B beat last night (a genre that I usually never produce in), and I really like it. But, I think I screwed up somewhere in my mastering because the kick sounds like it's clipping, but It's definitely not clipping in the mix. And it's weird because when I have all of my plugins on on my master channel, it doesn't sound like it's clipping, but as soon as I export it, the distortion appears. I'm not sure what is needed to diagnose the problem, but I'll start by posting the track.

https://soundcloud.com/panskimusic/panskiwave/s-Swe1y

3. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

like it, nice 'n smooth, some chill going on there. Maybe a tad too loud, check the rms levels?, the only thing is the distorted pad at the beginning is a bit uncomfortable in the mix (for my ears) but apart from that, a good evenings work, definitely worth further work :wink:

4. sardoumichel

sardoumichel Member

Hi Pansky,

First of all, very nice track :wink: !

I agree with SirSillySausage, your pads are a bit distorted (and dry)

Plus, they are a little bit in conflict with your sub bass, try removing a bit off lo end or lo medium and you can make them more stereo to let room in the center for the big sub bass.You can give your pad a little more movement too (auto pan, ping pong delay)

Your sub bass a little bit too loud.

I suggest you: work the kick and the bass only to have the perfect balance and add on your pads and other elements one by one.

Your cowbell is slightly out of tune too.

:bow:

5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

exactly the same here.

6. mkopans

mkopans Newbie

RMS is right at -7 at the highest point, what do you think I should shoot for?

7. mkopans

mkopans Newbie

What do you recommend doing with the pads? They are currently sitting at -9 dB. As for the sub, it's sitting at -12. What levels would you recommend setting them at? Any idea if the cowbell is sharp or flat?

8. KingSchlongXVII

KingSchlongXVII Member

I'm with Sir Silly Sausage too. *yes*

Sardoumichel: Assuming you mean that cowbell that only appears at the very end? Sounds like it's there just to say "finished" or "the end"... or perhaps you didn't get that about it.

Not much else wrong with it. The pad is the main thing that hooks you in, so it should be given the most attention and some special treatment if anything.

Good work!

9. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

The pad's distortion sound is a little bit too over driven for me, as sardoumichel said possibly "dry"? not sure what vsti or synth sample you used, not criticizing, just my personal observation, it's a very nice track, rms maybe reduce by -2 to -3dB see if that helps the drums / export? :mates:

10. sardoumichel

sardoumichel Member

@ KingSchlongXVII :You can hear the cowbell at 31 sec they are slightly out off tune by a few %

I agree with you that the pads are the main thing.

I suggest a reverb with light autopan or a discrete ping pong delay .

The fundation of such tracks is a solid and controled low end, be sure to gain stage everything, group your tracks by elements:
    _low end: kick and sub. MONO
    _tops: sd/clap (mostly MONO), hi hats( you can play a bit with stereo to give exitement)
    _med: pad and synhts STEREO and wide

Checks your group levels and apply light compression, soft clipers or limiters and eq if necessary.

On the 2 buss:a compressor to glue eveything (2 db reduction) , a soft clipper to catch the little peaks and a limiter at the very end.

It's a real pain in the a.. for me to write in english :rofl:

The hi hats should be more alittle bit more hi passed with a light hi shelf and the vocals are a bit dry too.

You are not far from your goal, just a few adjustments
    Lovely track btw :wink:

11. IXV

IXV Newbie

love it ! :grooves:

12. mkopans

mkopans Newbie

Thanks guys! I will implement your recommendations and repost it here :)

13. mkopans

mkopans Newbie

Implemented everyone's recommendations, wanted to get your opinion on how it sounds now :)

https://soundcloud.com/panskimusic/panskiwave/s-Swe1y

14. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

The cowbell is still off, sorry :/

15. mkopans

mkopans Newbie

The cowbell is tuned to D. The key is C, so it shouldn't sound off. Unless you're talking about the cowbell that comes in at 0:41. That one is right on the edge of F and F#.