Need some advice

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Elnur Magerramov, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Elnur Magerramov

Elnur Magerramov Kapellmeister

Hi everybody, I have an opportunity to get some good promotion for radio and other stuff, but need to make more commercial style stuff. I`ve come up with this. Its not finished version ofcourse, need some advices and suggestion on how to make this perfect

3. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

love it.

4. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

don't invest in mutual bond funds when interest rates are rising.

5. Elnur Magerramov

what??

6. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

If it is for for radio play I think the intro should have more compression because it sounds too quiet (unless you want "them" to squash it like hell).
    Tone-wise, to my ears, the whole songs sounds a little too sharp and brittle.
    And where is the bass? I can't hear one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I think they showing us a pre-master.. thats what i thought anyway haha was trying not to be judgmental lol

8. peghead

peghead Platinum Record

Elnur asked for advice and, based on what I hear (or not), that is what I've given. :mates:

9. Elnur Magerramov

Yeah, compression for the intro will be done later. But what do you mean by sharp and brittle? Can you explain?

Bass is there, but very quite :)

10. Elnur Magerramov

Thank you for your opinion. But I want people more judgmental instead, so I will learn :)

11. johndoehizzle

johndoehizzle Kapellmeister

sounds good man, the intro volume seems too low, maybe compress it a bit, the vocals could be a bit louder too. i would have probably added some percussions to it. some congas/ bongos ; to give it a nice beach / summer style vibe. good lyrics/ acapella btw. I would def have this on my playlist.

edit: the vocals sound like they have a low cut filter on them, its nice to make vocals clear but sometimes a nice natural sound is good too. sometimes "imperfections" or noise on sounds is what gives it a more natural feel.

i'd add a second breakdown with the 'typical' sine wave pitch down thing, maybe add some ocean waves on the breakdown as well, bring in a different synth with the melody back in ,build up, then drop it again.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  12. There is the possibility to create a deeper connection with the listener throughout the entire song by filling out the bottom end of the frequency spectrum, I never "felt it". Try doubling the bassline and octave bellow and not have that 4 on the floor just suck out the groove and soul, the cool movement created on the basx to help shake the hips and not be constantly bombarded with hammer-like blows. You'll have to be artful to make space for both the bass and kick, you'll feel it when it's right. Also, don't fade the song in and instead let the arrangement and what is played lead the song in, and add some pedal bass after the first few measures to fill help right away with engaging the listener. It is aweful lite until the action starts.

13. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

It's not a bad song (I'm speaking purely from a musical standpoint, seeing as how I don't listen to a lot of modern pop,) and it is balanced better than a lot of songs that I have heard that seem to be lacking a well-weighted depth in the stereo aspect of things. That being said, I have to agree, in a way, with peghead; the sound is *slightly brittle, but it really just lacks warmth and depth in the mids.
    The part I was expecting it to thicken up at 0:58 was still very lite, with the mids being dominated by the kicks bleed on the lower end and the chics vocals at the higher end. I understand that the "plucky" bass notes are being played higher up the board, which is fine since it helps keep a lite, "summer" tone to it, but it does little to give any body to the track.
    I mentioned that I don't listen to a lot of modern pop (despite my age, I usually just classic stuff from before I was born: Bowie, The Cure, ELO, etc.,) but at the same time, like any genre, I have anylyzed it for the sake of production. One of the glaring difference in modern radio Pop is that the main frequency zones are very segregated. This style of mixing has a lot to do with the fact that the song then translates better on various mediums. So, The kick, being the driving rhythmic force behind this track and taking up most of the lower mid space, *does make sense as per how songs are being mixed nowadays.
    To thicken it, I would suggest pads, or at least pad swells, or effected guitar swells (chorus, short delay, etc.,) but I think in doing so, it would skew the rhythm of the track...and, I guess you could compensate by adding more percussive elements to bring the groove back to the forefront, but then, we're talking about basically re-doing the track, and Pop is supposed to be simple, so....yeah. Just spitballiing here.
    In example of what I mean by the above, take Bowies song "Ashes to Ashes," it has faux strings, bass, guitar and his voice drops in often to fill out the mids, plus, it has a kick that bleeds into the mid, much like your track. But, when the chorus ends with the odd transition of "....hitting an all time low," it drops to a very sparse landscape of vocals, bass that is higher in the frequency range and the psychodelic melody, which also falls higher up the scale, making it very segregated. This is more what you're dealing with, which works well, but when you have an entire song like that it becomes weak as opposed to an interesting section in a larger, fuller arrangement.
    So, all of that being said, I can't honestly tell you what I would do to "warm" it up, or thicken it...if you even want to. I do think it needs some more body, but, again, that probably wouldn't work, because I have to assume that that was the desired sound. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, what's really going to end up "making" the song "perfect." is following the guidelines of what makes it radio-friendly.
    I hope that was at least mildly helpful. :shalom: