Need mixing tips on taming an 8 string

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Ahachez1, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Ahachez1

Ahachez1 Newbie

Ok so I know crap in equals crap out so I spend time on mic placement and dialing in the amp.. mesa triple rec.then in my daw i cut lows and boost a bit around 2k also cut some air of the very highs and it starts to work with a stereo mix. Its seems like its all engineering magic that I dont possess to get any better now mind you I havent touched them with anything else no comp, effects, nothing. Ive even cut as much distortion from the amp as i can in order to get tone to cut through which has helped get rid of the really bad amateur fuzz sound. So, to start getting ultra in the pocket what is next?? LOL i understand it may not be that simple but any basic suggestions I would gladly appreciate. Thank You

3. deftmonk

deftmonk Newbie

your description of your problem is in my opinion very vague. To get the most useful response I would recommend posting a sample of what you are able to currently accomplish and another sample of a "goal mix" so to speak

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Lol! "Amateur fuzz" on a "Mesa triple rectifier"? Trollface?!

My answer: EQ

5. deftmonk

deftmonk Newbie

Obviously from posters original description he kinda knows whats up about eqing I was kinda under the assumption problem might lie in layering the sounds (assuming he's going for some hellacious tone as its a triple rectifier)
    edit: I didn't see Baxter's response before I posted... Wasn't trying to disprove you to be clear just meant sounded like he knew a thing or two about eq ;P

6. Ahachez1

Ahachez1 Newbie

Thanks deftmonk! I am sorry my description was as best as I could think at the time. Now I realize I should be asking what else could possibly take the guitars which are yes very heavy to the next level.. perhaps compression or other effects That I am not familiar with how to use that basically most pros would use?? OR If they capture great guitars do they leave them untouched? Heavy distorted mesa rec type guitars..

7. Ahachez1

Ahachez1 Newbie

not the mesa,, my mix wtf

8. Clandestine

Clandestine Platinum Record

8 strings :wow:

Buzz often caused by strings being to low in action though this could not at all be the case here. Play it totally clean & see if u still get a slight buzz though I could be of track with the problem u having.

If you have huge thick strings set real low in action u gonna get fretbuzz.

What type of guitar u got? Can u adjust the saddle height & what u tuned in on like 8 octaves below normal or something?

Adjust the saddle if u can so that the thick strings raised a bit & the higher ones a little lowered. Raising the action will also give u a better tone in general. Less FX often the better.

As 4 the triple rectifier :dancing:

Good luck :wink:

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Oh! Fret buzz?
    Adjust/loosen the truss rod (CCW) if you have fret buzz. If you press down 1st fret and last fret, there should be a very little gap at 12th fret.

Also, while you are at it, check/adjust the intonation, spring tension, pickup height (distance to strings), etc.

Are you double-tracking your guitars, and (counter) panning them out? If not, do it!