Need help with this home studio

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Afecto, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Afecto

Afecto Newbie

Hello. My name is Tom. Im 25 years old. been making music for alittle over 2 years now.

I just spent 8 hours re-arranging my room so that one of the speakers wouldnt get cornered. Since i am no expert at all, are there room for any improvements here? Any thoughts? My speakers is not far from the walls at all and in one of the pictures you can see how far "both" speakers are from the walls.

In one of the pictures you can see my chair vs bed situation. So i cant move much.. The link to all the pics is right under here. Please share opinions!

Dropbox link for real pictures - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/udh17c35wk0syym/AAByU0aNMgMdDtfBBf45Y9oVa?dl=0

[​IMG]

3. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

I think you have the best layout that you could possibly manage in a room of that size and with the existing furniture.

From the size of your monitors im guessing they're the 8" model, which could cause a lot of bass issues in such a small room. Since the width of the room is 2.85m, you will have issues with frequencies below 120hz as these will not have the distance required to develop a full wavelength before reflecting back upon themselves.

equation is: wavelength = speed of sound / frequency, where the speed of sound is 340 m/s

I recommend you look into purchasing bass traps for the corners, and using at least 3" thick insulated panels for behind your seating area, this way the waves will be absorbed instead of reflected.

Also panels located at your first reflection points on the side walls. These can be thinner, like 2" (1" panels are utterly useless).

The most important tip i can give you is to not trust your room, but rather learn its flaws and compensate. Even million dollar rooms have some flaws, they just have less of them.

Best of luck.

4. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

I think you did about the best you can considering the size and restrictions of the room. All the basic rules of thumb apply, bass trap the corners as much as possible, acoustic panels over your listening position, behind the monitors, at the point of first reflection on the walls to the side of you monitors, and because the room is so small, some major acoustic treatment on the wall behind you (I realize I just repeated everything MYCbeats said lol). But honestly the most important rule of monitoring, especially in a room this small and hard to treat, is monitor at LOW volume. Like low enough to where you could comfortably have a conversation with someone in the room. And when you mix, you're going to have to listen back in a variety of places for perspective (headphones, in a car, on a home stereo somewhere else). Also, listen to a TON of the type of music you will be mixing, in your room on your monitors, that is the best way to get to know your room and what already mixed and mastered stuff sounds like there. Remember, if you mix so that it sounds great in your room, and it sounds WAY better than other tracks that you like, it will sound like absolute shit when you listen to it outside your room (more than likely).

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Hey Tom, check out Lynda Bobby Owsinski's Mixing Boot Camp. The first lesson is how to set up a space properly for production. However it looks like you've got things pretty much sourced already. Oh and welcome to the forums. [​IMG]

6. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

Perhaps the Francis Bucley's "Studio Rescue" Series on YouTube may help you with some ideas.
    :wink: :wink:

7. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

I'd first move the bed and put the desk in front of the window. More often than not its better to have your monitors throw to the longer side of the room, but in all reality in a room of that size its not going to make that much of a difference. Make yourself some Owens Corning 703 bass traps... Preferably in every corner 4-6" thick at least, from floor to ceiling. Add more broadband traps for your 1st reflection points. Hang a cloud above the most critical listening point in the room..... That's being pretty conservative

If it was my place, I'd do all the above and add more broadband traps directly behind my listening point & sparingly along each wall, & find some super heavy curtains for the windows or just put more broadband traps in front of the windows.

Also - if you can get those speakers off the desk and onto some stands that can help reduce comb filtering from reflections off of the desk to your ears...

- And look up Ethan Winer.

8. Afecto

Afecto Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This is some really usefull tips. and you are right. I spent 2 hours trying to tihnk of a possible way to set my setup on the wall with the window. but it just isnt possible. from the drawing view: at the wall with window there is fiber connection mounted to the walls, near the corner (to the left of my table). i cant move it. Its 3 boxes including the box with the fiber's and stuff. I really spent time figuring out the best possible soution. I "was" sitting before all this, with the table in the corner where the TV is currently standing now. Creating LOTS of fake bass since one of the speakers would be cramped up into the corner of that wall.

Yes, its 8" Yams. :\ Fuck me. 5 would have been enough. I bought a pair of 14$ foam pads for the speakers to sit on. Not optimal at all but it decreased the friction from my table about 90%.

Im pretty much broke now, so i cant go and buy room treatment just yet. but i will do this when i got the income for it.

Wow. everything for me under 120 (ish) hz would be a pain to mix? Should i just use the Audio Technica ATH M50's instead? Is it still possible to create a good mix from this environment? Or am i totally fucked?

Thanks for all the replies. Apreciate it. Oh and thanks for the welcoming! :)

9. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

+1 for the youtube studio rescue vids, pretty basic stuff but excellent help and ideas for budding bedroom producers