Need help with the mix, last restort - completely stuck :)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by prog_trance_enthusiast, Nov 14, 2017.

1. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

Must be in that order.
    Multiband is Holding 3db gain reduction on bottom and 1.5db gain reduction in the other band.
    Adjust the SSL threshold to hold 4db of Gain reduction. Adjust the output of the SSL so as the limiter just ticks over.

2. prog_trance_enthusiast

prog_trance_enthusiast Ultrasonic

Wow ok! Thank you! May I use saturn and ozone imager at the end as before? Before limiter? Before anything in master? I need to input new master channel data you provided and I need to solve that fx bus send. Cant get it to knob A of guitar track, for example, to control wetness of reverb which is set with your settings on track I set to work as bus track, or return track. Will do everything asap.

3. spencer26

Absolutely not.
    No Fucking Saturn.
    No Fucking Ozone.

4. prog_trance_enthusiast

Ok :) Don't be mad spencer. I needed to ask
    :)

Ssl comp i turn makeup gain until limiter ticks over?

Already on it. Working.

5. prog_trance_enthusiast

Makeup gain from ssl is not enough to get me to -0.1 on fabfilter pro L. So i added utility - gain - until it started to shave off those peaks at -0.1. ok?

[​IMG]

Then I created one bus track for guitar and the other one for strings and the third one for voices.

First bus - I put for guitar your settings for toraverb.

Second bus - I put for strings your settings toraverb with different amount?

Third bus - I put for voices reverberate.

I guess I have to figure out how to sidechain strings now, when reverb is coming after everything else in guitar track (compressor with sidechain, eq, different stuff...)...

I am so scared at the moment, that I tried to turn knobs and set proq2 on a screenshot you posted. And I was wondering wtf is going on :)

Getting there. At the moment, figuring out how to add sidechain to strings to bus channel, after toraverb :D Not working out at the moment. Something happening, but not the pumping effect I had before. Now I dont understand if this reverb goes before or after the effect chain I got on guitar track.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  6. spencer26

The settings are there for the side and the mid. I pasted them on 1 screegrab.
    I have updated the Limiter settings.
    What level are you getting out of the Multiband. It seems you may not be driving your mix bus hard enough.

7. spencer26

Switch out all the plugins on the master bus and tell me what level you are getting.

8. prog_trance_enthusiast

Around -19.

[​IMG]
    upload photo album

I only have master channel with your chain. I dont have mix bus :) I have tracks with their fx and master channel. And now I have these reverb buses I dont know if they are set properly lol

Before that I successfully applied all settings, in exact order you posted. I managed to set mid side exactly as you.

9. spencer26

You should really be driving your mix bus harder but it does not matter here.
    Bring up the output level of the proq doing the MS by 12db.
    Then reset your levels for the Multiband.
    I presume the output of the multiband is set at 0 on both bands.
    Also you will have to change the SSL

10. prog_trance_enthusiast

Of course. Got it. Investigating how to properly use reverb on fx bus, which I sent from guitar track, which has its own fx chain... Mind boggling :) Cant comprehend at the moment what to do with existing chain on track.

Also Im deleting that gain utility now, which was inserted before pro L.

11. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

It's not you.

It's me man... I get confused easily, and am not saying that as a joke.

12. spencer26

Hey mozee could you write a document on how to use Buses and Fx sends.
    I have to go to bed as its 4:33 in the morning in downtown Byron Bay.
    Spencer

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, man that sucks (not an accusation). It's sometimes difficult to get the tone of written words and I got misunderstood several times in my first posts. So, whenever I feel it could be neccessary I add a smiley so the people get me right. But maybe even that isn't sometimes enough for more the sensitive ones. So, as long as nobody is attacking me I don't mean anything mean or offensive even if I disagree.
    Ok? :mates:

@spencer26 I hope you are not upset when I call you "Master of Faders" and stuff, it's a friendly teasing due to being impressed by your knowledge and experience and you seem to be a friendly man. So, peace to you too. :mates: Ah, and good night.

14. No Avenger

@prog_trance_enthusiast

The bus: rearing and caring:
    In the real world six people can take their car and drive to work. Or they take a bus and dirve to work together.
    In audioworld you can set the output of every channel to mainout or you can set some of them to a bus and from there to the mainout. There (in the bus) you can collect several audio signals and treat them together. For different purposes. Be it eqing, compressing or sending them all at once to an effect.
    How to set a bus? Well that depends on the DAW. Somtimes it's called bus, sometimes subgroup and sometimes it's just a channel to which you can route the audio tracks. The important thing is they are not going any more to the mainout directly. Sometimes you have to switch that off (depending on the DAW).
    You got it so far?

15. prog_trance_enthusiast

Hey, thx Spencer! Good night! Gonna torture your ears tomorrow.

Hey No Avenger. Yes. Im getting it. At this moment, Spencer gave me a homework for ableton. I need to create, if I understood correctly, three bus tracks for three instruments which use reverb. I created those return tracks. A, B, C. I pasted toraverb in each one. Now I turned off reverbs I used as an insert in those three tracks. Without touching anything else I turn a b c knobs on three tracks and get reverb effect. But if I choose to send track to bus track with reverb, my knob on instrument track only controls level of that instrument, with reverb playing anyway when I press keys. Thats the first part. Is it wrong or OK?

Second part. I had eq, reverb, compressor with sidechain on track with pads. Now with reverb turned off there and with A knob controlling how much of reverb i want, that reverb is not sidechained nor filtered. Should I paste complete fx chain of my pads track to the bus track with reverb, after the reverb? Help, help, im drowning :)

I mean it sounds incredibly better now, but this has to be solved. I solved spencers mastering chain he recommended and it works fantastic.

16. No Avenger

deleted

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  17. prog_trance_enthusiast

Cmon mozee, no avenger. Need input on homework. Please :) we are almost there.

18. No Avenger

Ehm, no, sorry. I just have not in mind what spencer told you to group (guitar and violins?) but a bus makes only sense it you're routing more than one instrument to it. Otherwise those six people I mentioned would use six busses and that's senseless.
    And if you send those signals to a bus and mute the bus those instruments should not to be heard anymore. That's step one.
    And don't insert reverb in the bus.

And please give me some minutes to answer.

19. No Avenger

Turn off the reverbs and give word when that bus routing is working.

20. prog_trance_enthusiast

Im sorry I didnt mean to rush anyone. I can wait and learn as long as it takes. Its already an incredible progress. Thanks for bearing with me.

He gave me these instructions:

Oh Shit Confusion Reigns.
    DO NOT USE INSERT REVERBS.
    Insert Toraverb on a bus and send with an fx send to Toraverb using my settings exactly.
    So guitar is going to the mix bus.
    Strings are going to the mix bus.
    Toraverb is going to the mix bus.
    Now send with a FX send to toraverb keeping the guitar going to the mix bus.
    This is how you should be using Reverbs.
    Now both the Strings and Guitar send to Toraverb.
    There is heavy modulation on Toraverb and this is what is needed for Guitar And Strings.
    And the Voices only send to Reverberate.
    Reverberate needs to be setup on a bus.
    DO NOT USE INSERT REVERBS.