Need help with the mix, last restort - completely stuck :)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by prog_trance_enthusiast, Nov 14, 2017.

1. prog_trance_enthusiast

prog_trance_enthusiast Ultrasonic

I hope thats fine, being such thread :) Fantastic response flowing in from minute to minute.

Regarding the oxford. I dont have oxford limiter. I do have Pro L. Is that fine? I can not find an option in it to set to -0.1 and also can not find input level. I found gain bar on the left.

spencer, you and everyone just beared with me, and I am doing everything in my power to respond to fantastic advice I received. I literally went from zero sound to sky high for my standard in few days. You all felt I want it so bad and I need help, and this accumulated knowledge is now pretty easy transferable to my future projects, and some other people future projects, too. I mean, you, spencer, mozee touched subjects I couldnt dream about in my wildest dreams, two lifes after this one :)

Plus, we will soon have one great before and after A/B example of pre and post audiosex track :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Input Oxford = Gain FabFilter
    -0.1 Out at lower right, though I read several times to stay below -0.2
    Oversampling recommended
    ISP on

3. prog_trance_enthusiast

Found it! Now I set gain until little read peaks start to show from above in the rightmost meter?

4. No Avenger

5. prog_trance_enthusiast

Im closing in on finishing spencers chain, except i just used pro q 2 to cut of some low and extra high freqs. Also doing many tweaks on pads and perc levels. On first listening everything sounds a bit darker and with more tight bass than my last mix with my improvised chain, but im sure you guys will all kick in with several final suggestions :)

sounds way fuller now! working.

6. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

You should not need EQ in the master chain except the MS Side rollof.
    Any other EQ at this stage is clouding the issue.
    If you need to EQ things do this at the track level.
    Just get the Eq right before you try and maximise the level.
    Bring the input to the Fab Limiter up to where it distorts then back it of a bit.
    Leave the SSL Compressor holding 4db.
    Leave the Multiband Limiter in the chain.
    Then do the Eq at track level.
    Then post the results so we can hear where it is going.
    Im going to bed now.
    Spencer

7. prog_trance_enthusiast

Ok ok, followed every advice as accurately as I could. Not equing, unless you instruct otherwise tomorrow. I will not do ms side rollof since I dont exactly dont know what it does (will see until morning lol). Going to export for everyone to check tomorrow. Sounds waaaaaaay better now :) :) :) Thanks! And have a pleasant evening and good sleep :) This is so positively intense for me.

8. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Yes, use the pro q2 to roll of the sides like spencer said and the mid at 30hz

9. prog_trance_enthusiast

So i need to learn how to roll of mids at 30hz and sides at?

Edit: think im getting it. Securing lows at center, removing freqs below 30hz. Mids rollof curve starts at 30hz with and sides rollof from 200 to the left and long curve.

10. Satai

Satai Rock Star

The track's coming along beautifully. Another legendary AZ thread.

Besides following Spencer's instructions for the mastering starting point, feel free to also send the finished track to me when you're sure it's done, as in you're not going to touch it any more. With nothing on the master bus to me (weTransfer.com ?), I will master it and share + compare.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. prog_trance_enthusiast

Thank you! So much support... Incredible. Will send it, ofc.

12. No Avenger

A little mastering contest? Courageous! Like to try too but am not sure if I dare to upload [​IMG]

13. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Those are different animals and are not typically viewed as typical musical arrangements, though it can be very subtle, there is a lot dissonant overlays in theatrical music be it from the usual Germanic suspects Sondheim, Schumann, Wagner or even their forebears Bach and Mozart which have stacked multi pattern polyphony in some passages but it is a tool to create tension by sound agglomeration. They didn't have synthesizers, so they tried to create the same effect with clashing sounds on top of each other, but the mind only really gets one stream of sound out unless you train yourself to separate them. Which defeats the intended purpose of it being confusing.

The rondado, rondeau or rondo is much more common where there is one melody and it is time delayed by say a measured amount of time and the players play over each other (this is usually mono-scalar) same melody just from different starting points. You see some of this in progressive music....

I.E. example of the rondado (rondeau if you favor French)
    Henry Purcell

Dissonance, rondado and freestyle style are not typical arrangement scenarios.

Besides classical music orchestras are generally recorded with an array of room mics, there is very little control of panning outside of solo instrument microphones.

It is a bit outside of the scope of this particular application.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Satai

Satai Rock Star

If OP was afraid of sucking ass, he'd never have posted the original mix... Same ambitions here Avengie :yes:

15. No Avenger

:wink: that's funny.

If that for me weird mastering chain that Lord of the audio Things aka young spencer26 postet is the one that's needed to get the stuff sounding I'm unable to cope because, as I said, I do that in the mix and apply only two limiters in master. So I'm afraid I would really suck in this contest because I've zero experience with that kind of chain. And if spencer26 guides him, well that could be some kind of challenge.
    But I'd really like to try and compare for myself ... ok, and maybe upload if I'm close :yes:

16. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

meh we can do two styles - MB vs WB compression if get some direction of expectation, we set a loudness target ahead of time and get a decent lossless file to work from.

Not really interested in making pancakes for fun, its just not fun for me anymore. If we stay somewhere between -14LUFS to -11LUFS maximum (I mean if I am going to do it for funzies I might well enjoy it rather than cry the whole time, or just no do it.)

w/e

@No Avenger : This kind of thing though isn't really a contest, so don't think of it like that. You get a 2CH track you listen and try to be true to what you like and what you think the guy on the end likes. Then you just imagine what it takes to do that and mess with it till you think you are close and call it a day. You learn from it, take that for yourself and move on with life. The internet is a great anonymizer, nobody is going to follow you around no matter what happens.

We are all going to make different flavors of ice cream and some people will like one flavor and some others.... that's why there is more than one flavor of ice cream in the world.

17. No Avenger

@mozee Thanks for your encouraging words that's really nice :yes: but don't worry I'm not taking it too serious :no: therefore I put that little smiley at the end of post #132.
    I just hate to "lose" even if it's game, for fun or learning new stuff.

And what the fuck is LUFS??? [​IMG] (<- you see that?)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  18. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

I use any of Serban Genahs mixes as reference level.
    Say Katy Perrys Chained to the Rhythm.
    Match that level.
    Seeing Serban has more than 100 number one records on Billboard he is doing something right.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  19. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Katy Perry's Chained to the Rhythm

I think Tom Coyone at Sterling did the squashing on that song, also pretty sure he just gave Payami and Martin what they asked for. I doubt Serban mixed it at 8.5LUFS. It will be interesting to see you guys shoot for that on the same material with a the original reference in hand.

I'm not really into something that loud for fun, it's not hard, might just do it just to do it but with all the loudness limits on new distribution channels and the target audience being "me and my friends" kind of seems like just an exercise in do it cause i can be done not because it's best for the track.

We'll see.... best to let the guy who made the track decides what he wants to with it and decide from there.

I am not sure if you are being serious or joking but it is just a loudness measuring alogo. LUFS/LKFS.
    http://www.tcelectronic.com/loudness/loudness-explained/
    It's not perfect but it is more consistent and standardized than the old root mean square measurements of old and until something better comes along it's not a terrible measurement standard.

20. No Avenger

What's up man, isn't that smiley big enough? [​IMG] <-is this one better? [​IMG]
    Of course I'm joking. I'm a humorous guy trying to get not too many things too serious (could be better at this though).
    If I'm posting some rubbish and Lord Fader aka spencer26 teaches me a lesson, well that's one of the reasons why I'm here. Eager to learn and to help. Respectful, stress-free, nice and sometimes humorous.
    So, when you see this [​IMG] I'm joking. Thought it was obvious but erare human est.