Need help with the mix, last restort - completely stuck :)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by prog_trance_enthusiast, Nov 14, 2017.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

How about a stereo delay?

2. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

i think its too bright

3. prog_trance_enthusiast

prog_trance_enthusiast Ultrasonic

I dont know, maybe I overdid shakers/hihats, or that guitar is poking too much - causing it to be too bright? Thats easy to correct.

But first, here is the new version. Better than the last one I think (all versions in first post).

Did almost everything that spencer and guys suggested, cause there was concensus on some problems. Hipassed everything. Added a bit saturation. Took even more from guitar. Panned whatever I could. Acoustic guitar at the beginning of every measure sent to stereo delay 100% mix. Did some adjustments to levels. Please tell me if I overdid something (sub bas, guitar, etc.). My ears are tired probably :)

Will have to export again. Messed something up.

4. prog_trance_enthusiast

Here it is. First post updated. Two last versions there to compare. I hope I didnt many things. Isnt now kick and sub too strong? Although I liked them strong. And that damn guitar is still in high freqs, but I swear I numbed them down before export.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  5. Satai

Satai Rock Star

The sub is a bit strong but good. I think if you're going with that sound then you need something going on in the "upper lows" areas, maybe some kind of bass instrument sustanining or swirling. Its purpose would be to hold the low end down, because with that kind of big sub it's now really missing the weight in that area.

Might want to be a little careful with panned sub bass, makes some people puke esp. if they listen loud and on headphones.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

just hearing it first time this version couple comments above here sounds pretty damn good to me brother!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

It sounds much better, the cello and the guitar will do where they are.

That repeating sub-bass and the accent every 2 bars is still going to be a problem. I am not sure you can hear it right now, or if you actually want that type of distortion in the sound stream. If you want that flap and buzz that is fine but you will never really clear up the issues you are having with small speakers at those levels with those particular sounds. The buzz buzz every two bars is fine, it sounds like speaker distortion but I think it sounds fine and that is on purpose, it will get a boost on small speakers as it is in that presence range between 1400 and 5000 cps.

Still really sticks out at between G1(49Hz) and A#1(58Hz), onto A2(110Hz), and seems really boosted at A3(220Hz) it also pops back up around A4(440Hz) etc.. beyond that it will not cause too many problems.

Also be careful with bass and time effects and delays, those panned subs and basses are better off staying down the middle - why would I say that - well small systems will not play them but they'll still cause phase distortion as crossover HPF comes into play. Medium systems lack the intensity for a non-local bass directional effects to actually be felt, large systems in clubs are mono.... So the only systems with the power to play back those effects with impact are movie theater systems set too loud with dedicated directional sub channels and headphones which will never transmit the power of moving air but might be a little nauseating for some.

It might be part of the synthesizer patch or the effects channel on that particular synth and might not even be able to hear it, bit it does need some tending to.

8. saltwater

saltwater Guest

nice thread guys, what an improvement!
    isn't this place just wonderful? :hifive:

9. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

A few suggestions. Creating Space.
    Subtle chorus on the sequencer and a 2 sec reverb.
    On the Snare 1.5 sec reverb. Just a little so you can just hear it.
    On the Cello some Reverb. Early Reflections only without the tail.
    Long reverb on the voices. Preferebly 5 sec Bricasti Ice Beads. Get it from LiquidSonics Reverberate 2 v2.200
    On the Guitar lead you still need to get Toraverb Version 1 "Mutiny on the Bounty"
    Google to try before you buy it. D16 Group Complete Bundle VSTi WIN.OSX x86 x64 [01.2015]
    Bass should only ever be in the Middle. Bass has no direction under 120 hz or so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. tooloud

tooloud Guest

On this specific topic and elsewhere, there is too little analysis of the music and an overtly microscopic detailed evaluation of the minutiae of the loudness or softness of every band of the audio spectrum. And for every person who says it needs cutting at 250hz there is somebody who says it needs boosting at 250hz because they have different monitors in a different room.

11. No Avenger

I know what you're talking about but this the "Mixing and Mastering" forum, the thread is called "Need help with the mix" and he said "I dont have problems with melodies, but, of course, with mixing, mastering, making it sound wide and loud". And that's what we are talking about.

I think if he had asked for a different kind of help he would have get it from this great community [​IMG].

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  12. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Always happy to admit my mistake. I withdraw my criticism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

That is a very good observation. There is nothing especially bad about 250 Hz, and unless error were made in the mix there is no reason to cut it. The days of the old broadband paper cone speakers that resonant filters at 200Hz and tubes that had a 250 Hz resonance are long gone but many instruments still clash at 250Hz, it is right in between B3 and C3 in in easy range of bass as well as treble instruments, so in a recordings choices have to be made. If the mix is done right, there is no reason to push or pull any specific frequency - each recording is its own and the best ones do not need a god damn thing at the end outside of a little push in volume and some limiting (maybe.)

14. spencer26

I just use the rule that if a resonance is pissing me off eq it out.
    But as mozee is saying you should not get to the end of a mix and have to get rid of resonances.
    Kill them on individual tracks.
    Spencer

15. prog_trance_enthusiast

Thanks for input again. So it does sound better now?

@spencer26 - going to look into toraverb today :) Followed by your other suggestions - you were right for everything. The guitar is now panned a bit, will check if its going to be needing that panning after toraverb applied.

@tooloud - i know you are aiming at the fact is song composition OK, i mean the arrangement, transitions and everything. Like I said, I like my melodies, and the arrangement needs some work, so it is OK to give me input on that now, too. The most difficult part for me is, since Im beginner, the mixing and mastering section. I can always rearrange melodies, and swooshes and stuff. But I woould APPRECIATE that kind of input too, and with a "please, I need input on that in this phase, too" :) Not from you only, but from everyone.

@mozee - I will look into that bass. Its bothering me, too. But I only wanted to do what @Satai suggested anyway. I needed something in upper lows, to keep subs under control. Anyone can recommend some good patch or setting?

@No Avenger - I need that input that @tooloud suggested. If not a problem, to keep everything in this one thread :)

I added panner to subs, with lowcut applied, and those subs were octave higher. Just tried, removing them now.

Going to post later with toraverb, +1octave subs in the middle, and some corrections.

Now its a mixing and mastering, but at this stage, it wouldnt hurt to get some input on melodies, arrangement, general idea and similar. Just some suggestions needed. I can take criticism and turn it into something good :) (again noting, that for me melodies are fine, I like that style and emotion - this is not typical commercial song). But I can use your input, please. Alongside all other help you are offering me here. I must admit I didnt expect such a great response, although I knew the community was perfect for me.

16. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Couldn't agree more on Dopamine, their Tapedesk and 76 Fet are worth checking out as well.

17. No Avenger

:) What problem? This is your thread. Do what ever you like to do with it.

My post #71 wasn't meant to stop @tooloud from giving another kind of input :no: but just to say that we are giving you the feedback you asked for, that's all. Sorry, if anybody got that wrong or if I sounded determinative. That wasn't intentional. :mates:

18. prog_trance_enthusiast

@No Avenger No no no no u got me completely wrong. Thank you for stating to tooloud what the thread is about. Thats perfectly fine. Now, I didnt know if I may request for another type of comments in this thread (music, arrangement), so I asked to do it here from now on, on that subject too, if not a problem, for you or forums :) You suggestions and help are the most appreciated and I hope you roll with me on this and in future.

I asked for only one type of feedback and now when tooload mentioned it, you are MORE THAN welcome to comment other stuff too. But in small increments, like basic thing regarding music and arrangement, what should me moved, added, removed etc., so I manage to filter all information and apply what I think is applicable :) So no misunderstanding here I hope :)

Here is another, much improved version. Didnt stop tuning and didnt sleep :)

User toraverb and reverberate as spencer suggested. I didnt manage to pull any chorus/delay effect to spatialize central sequencer, which serves as main driver between kicks, without waterizing it too much. Will post that seq alone later. Added new strings, but didnt have time to set them at the very end to sound as intended. WIll play with them later.

Im so happy we made this fantastic progress from the first uploaded version, and God forbid you heard the first export. I am smiling out of pure happiness. My first mixing and mastering attempt occured 3 days ago, bear that in mind.

Here is an image for @spencer26, regarding my settings for toraverb on el guitar.

[​IMG]
    image hosting api

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  19. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Just having a listen to your latest mix now, only on the laptop..........which I'm kinda used to listening on, and within the limits of varying taste I'd say the mix was spot on, the cello is very Game of Thrones, really nice..........nothing coming over as overly spikey or booming, all quite nicely balanced imo.......The song itself came and went quickly which is usually a good sign, not overly repetitive and engaged me throughout, nice one moosh.:bow:

You'll probably get as many differing opinions here as there are tastes in music on your music per se, but I think you need to go your own way on that unless you're trying to emulate someone else, so imo compliments on the arrangement and content only show that the listener has similar taste and the converse is probably true, assuming that the mix is within acceptable limits, which as I said above, I believe it is.:wink:

20. spencer26

Wow its starting to work.
    Push the crap out of those new strings as if they were a solo at 1:50 and add Toraverb to them.
    Bring up Cello solo.
    More Ice Beads on Vocals. And compress the crap out of the Vocals with a pretty slow attack and fast release.
    I think maybe you should pan the Guitar solo to the Centre.
    Toraverb settings fine.
    More reverb on Snare.
    Good Job.
    Spencer

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List