Need help with the mix, last restort - completely stuck :)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by prog_trance_enthusiast, Nov 14, 2017.

1. prog_trance_enthusiast

prog_trance_enthusiast Ultrasonic

I know No Avenger. Broswed through 150-200 trance structure videos and pages. All the same info. Start with kick with no low end, add low end, add hats, add claps, add pad - booong - pre drop or idea introduction, 30-40 secs of main idea, fading out instruments one by one until the end. And the tragic is almost all trance is like that lol. In other genres almost everything starts immediately. Main melody, verse, chorus, melody, verse, chorus, end. Something is wrong with trance. I can not afford people to wait almost two minutes for my main idea?!?!?!? And sub-main idea. For example: Unity - Orkidea. One of songs that left a mark in my life. I can not listen to first minutes of it. I just skip to main melody which repeats for the remainer of the song and with variations. Or Brute -AvB and Ferry Corsten in 3:40 long version is good.

But Im thinking... Im making this new song, right now as I type. I must say I LOVE IT! But I cant afford my potential listeners to stop listening to it after 45-50 secs. Especially it is something really special, I promise. Nice and evocative melody, pads, layers, emotions. Im trying to find a suitable song structure for two days, listened to over 100 tracks only to realize I only actually listen when bridge starts, or buildup before the main part. Am I completely wrong and should I just stick to 8 bar rules, boringly add layers, or just cut it almost straight to the action? In general? In Don't Stop I started pretty much from the beginning, and I liked it. People got the idea what I was trying to say after 10 secs.

Regarding the A B C D rules - I actually saw and read 150-200 same videos and web pages, as I said. 8 Bars 8 Bars 16 Bars buildup main part fade out end. Bah...

I guess I need to figure this out, and I need help. Also, for example, I want to send my song to some publisher, major or smaller, doesnt matter... Will they listen to my buildup rumblings for 100 seconds???? I wouldnt. Going to come up with the new track in few days, but I wont be needing much tips, I promise.

2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Probably not. They will jump to the chorus and see if it's catchy.

If all those tracks are build up the same way and you won't follow for good reasons, than maybe it's on you to show them all something better. Nobody complained about the intro of "Don't Stop".

Besides, I can listen to that 8 bars intro thing for about 60 to 80 seconds and that's it. 02:40 is a song, not an intro, in my opinion.

3. prog_trance_enthusiast

Im glad you completely understood me No Avenger.

I had melody and drop before (in general, without vocal chops and makeup).

Then I tried and tried and thought about it and audialized it in head and then tried more. I came up with an intro which is more beautiful than the main drop. Its more than an intro... Its a melody. And then, after the main idea drop, they collapse into each other creating even more euphoria. After that is removing layers one by one until the minimum acceptable to me, still holding all important elements together. This time I guess I will only need mastering help, since I didnt touch master channel (will give it a try after Im finished). Hope to finish and polish it in 70-80 hours of work (putting my whole soul in it).

4. No Avenger

That sounds promissing. :yes:
    Looking forward to it. No need to rush, we're still here in 90 hours, too. :)

5. prog_trance_enthusiast

Hehehhe thank you. I meant in general :) I work few hours a day. Its slow, since I deal with my second arrangement only and its too complex. 35 ableton tracks. But its good old trance, and new one, too. Will send the mix to satai, mozee, you, spencer and ones interested, for a quick listen as soon as I finish.

6. No Avenger

? You mean you don't post it here like last time? That's a pity because I'm always curious to see what the others have to tell...

7. prog_trance_enthusiast

The pre-test beta version then :) Will post the mix, ofc. Just wondering if I should send it to label first ahahahhahah :D:D:D:D

8. No Avenger

Mh, before we help you to ruin the song? That's worth considering. [​IMG]

9. prog_trance_enthusiast

Grinding it, grinding it. It's epic. Soon. All those posts and questions paying off :) Plus hundreds of videos, pages, trials and errors. Just to layer some main drop synths and to do final touches to fills and transitions. It's in F minor.

edit: and I need to lowpass and hipass every track separately, just in case Spencer comes by.

10. No Avenger

as long as it's good [​IMG]

you know that you can group and then filter them, don't you?

11. prog_trance_enthusiast

Yes, but it's then the same as putting one eq in master chain with lo and hipass? And then after that another mid/side eq, and then third one normal eq, and then ssl comp, multiband and limiter?

Joking about epic, who am I to say lol. It sounds nice. You will hear.

Now regarding mastering the track... I can not always expect community to master my tracks for free. There are members here whom I would pay to provide master examples for me. I dont know how it works here, never asked. But I need to get that part pretty close too, since I need versions of songs, longer, shorter, with changes etc... I dont want my later versions of tracks to sound different from the first version. And I can not expect someone to keep my mastering chain for later use on that track??? I could use an advice on that subject, too.

12. No Avenger

If I have a lot of tracks I am grouping similar sounds in different groups to lowcut them at different frequencies. For instance: group one at 50Hz, group two at 200Hz... This way I don't need a side eq in the master, because all panned sounds are already lowcutted in the groups.
    But spencer seems to go a different way. See my signature.

On the long run you have to decide if you have your songs mastered by someone else or try it yourself. In the first case you can focus on something else, which is maybe more important to you. In the second case you have more control over the final result, can keep and develop your mastering chain, but have more work, too. But if you're progressing over time you can also switch from first to second case, of course. But I won't switch too often. This would be a waste of time and you will have no consistent mastering sound.

13. Satai

Satai Rock Star

I usually don't keep the chains I used as I work, rebuilding them each time is kinda part of the workflow and the rhythm of it for me. I keep many intermediate versions of the track instead, so that in case of a stupid mistake its possible to backtrack and start over from a good savepoint.

If the track evolves over a couple of months into something new, I feel like maybe it's better to just master it again from scratch. Especially since people like me are obsessed and during that month I probably mastered a ton of stuff and learned a couple new tricks along the way that I'm eager to apply to your evolved tune. It all works out in the end :cheers:

If there are a lot of versions anticipated that need to be identically processed, then for sure just mention it before the job, and then the particular chain I used can be saved and re-used with no issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. prog_trance_enthusiast

I wish you all the best everyone! Happy holidays and may good winds be with you wherever you are!

I am busy as a bee, and soon you will hear the next track progress. Im sure you will recognize how hard I worked.

Love you everyone!