Need help with the mix, last restort - completely stuck :)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by prog_trance_enthusiast, Nov 14, 2017.

1. prog_trance_enthusiast

prog_trance_enthusiast Ultrasonic

I thought he was going to kill me when I didnt know how to create fx bus :) But he only tried harder then.

The energy and knowledge spencer has...

2. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@prog_trance_enthusiast, haven't had an opportunity to listen yet, but will as soon as I get in my mix room. Just wanted to say it was interesting to me when you talked about 3d Studio Max, welding vertices and such. I myself have dabbled in 3d as you probably can tell by Millennium Dragon in my avatar.
    Been avidly following this thread. Threads such as these have helped me immensely with my own material. The suggestion to high pass and low pass tracks was the biggest help for clarity in my stuff as well as uncluttered the mix eg making room for the kick by high passing the bass. I also learned to use high passing and low passing to help depth placement also.
    This is indeed an awesome community with many knowledgeable and helpful members!

3. prog_trance_enthusiast

Exactly DigitalDragon! Incredible response that led to actual results! And the amount of help, tips, advice, tutorials, whys and why nots is immense.

WIll talk about 3ds later ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Got in pretty late last night, just woke up 2 hours ago and kind of ran through these on the new version that @prog_trance_enthusiast send on Thurs. I think. I'm going to go back to sleep for a few hours and wake up and see what changed in the world since the last time I read this thread on Wed. night or Thurs morning.

:cheers:

The Dropbox player is not lossless if you care about such things the files are there to be downloaded in 48Khz244bit.

Loud for people that like loud -8LU

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f8uk3iktppnob0/vlado 8LUFS - LOUD.wav?dl=0
    # Program Loudness (I): -7.9 LUFS
    # Max Momentary Loudness (M): -5.6 LUFS
    # Loudness Range (LRA): 2.7 LU
    # True-Peak Max: +0.6 dBFS

Reference level of first master from Vlado -10LU

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy7yunjoc09luwa/vlado 10LUFS - REFC.wav?dl=0
    # Program Loudness (I): -9.9 LUFS
    # Max Momentary Loudness (M): -7.3 LUFS
    # Loudness Range (LRA): 3.0 LU
    # True-Peak Max: +0.3 dBFS

Dynamic full range -14LU
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq5e1kt3an97mxb/vlado 14LUFS - DYNM.wav?dl=0
    # Program Loudness (I): -14.0 LUFS
    # Max Momentary Loudness (M): -11.2 LUFS
    # Loudness Range (LRA): 3.1 LU
    # True-Peak Max: -0.2 dBFS

Folder with all 3 and loudness log files

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yjg7u2tci7ygwnf/AADIrRf_vXFIGxHPnhfx1ubKa?dl=0

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Just heard Mozee's master (10LU version). Tight! Super thumbs up, especially for the way the sub bass is sucking on the listener.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Did I miss something?? First, I can see no names with the wavs. Second, shouldn't it be 4 versions? Spencer's, mozee's, Satai's and mine???

7. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Sure man, np. Here is what I could process from what is up.

Everyone's has got a pretty good sound going on there.

I drank way too much on both Thrus. and Friday (which I wasn't planning on staying - but you know how it goes with family and road trips,) too much celebrating. Wasn't the best decision as when you are old it takes a while to recover. Still feeling it but I finally no longer feel physically sick from having abused myself that way.

Cheers.

No Avenger
    Version 1:
    #Loopback
    # Program Loudness (I): -11.3 LUFS
    # Max Momentary Loudness (M): -7.2 LUFS
    # Loudness Range (LRA): 3.3 LU
    # True-Peak Max: +1.10 dBFS

Version 2:
    #Loopback
    # Program Loudness (I): -10.5 LUFS
    # Max Momentary Loudness (M): -7.1 LUFS
    # Loudness Range (LRA): 3.6 LU
    # True-Peak Max: +1.93 dBFS

Satai
    Version 2:
    #Loopback
    # Program Loudness (I): -10.0 LUFS
    # Max Momentary Loudness (M): -7.7 LUFS
    # Loudness Range (LRA): 2.0 LU
    # True-Peak Max: +1.26 dBFS

Spencer
    Version 2:
    # Ingest offline (spencerii.wav)
    # Program Loudness (I): -7.5 LUFS
    # Max Momentary Loudness (M): -4.7 LUFS
    # Loudness Range (LRA): 2.2 LU
    # True-Peak Max: +0.26 dBFS

8. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Hey Mozee, yer -14LU is perfect moosh :wink:

9. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

@Satai & @Seedz : Thank you.

I did three versions the -14LU, -10 (which was the reference target we picked), and a -8LU (loud). The links in each section take you to the dropbox player, you can DL the file there as well. The link at the bottom take you to the DB folder where all three files are if you want them all for some reason. The loudness analysis files are also included in there as well.

10. prog_trance_enthusiast

WOW Just got back from a small trip with son :) :) :) CANT WAIT to listen this new mix :) :)

Thank you mozee!

I will upload some abstract video with this song on youtube tomorrow. Im so happy. I will listen to your version as soon as I get my hands on headphones.

11. prog_trance_enthusiast

Oh my dear God, this -14Lu version... Not sleeping tonight again. So much juice in every version, without loss of details. But -14... What did I do to deserve this? Love you all.

edit: I swear a God i feel sub in my chest in -10 LUFS version, and Im using headphones lol whats with that? :)

Thank you mozee. Thank you.

12. No Avenger

:facepalm: THAT explains it. Sorry, I didn't realize that you made three versions. The rest was clear. Thank you for explaining that to the stupid. [​IMG]

Nice work, respect.

I hope you are feeling better now and did have fun. Nothing tops a "counter beer" :yes:

13. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Where's that 3D Spencer? Don't keep us waiting

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. prog_trance_enthusiast

Ahahahah working a bit on it, my dear friend :) Will do it, ofc ;)

15. prog_trance_enthusiast

Well, it's on youtube :) In any case, nothing will stop me from creating music. After this one, it's time for the next step. Thank you for everything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Whoa. I take off for a week and now this thread has grown wildly and immensly. Got some reading material (and learning) to catch up on now. I fkkn love you guys!

17. prog_trance_enthusiast

Hello! I hope everyone is having a nice weekend :)

I worked A LOT since I posted the youtube video of the first track. I think I made it to another level with additional buildup on knowledge I gained here. Tried some kick drum layering, but quit that complex stuff when I came across people who layer 4-5 sounds for the kick!??! :)

I guess kick and some click are enough for me for now. Gonna post mix soon (20-25 days) :)

18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

No need to reconsider bro. AA is a pita to use because of the heavy cpu and latency when switching settings, dopamine works really well on single tracks, sometimes groups, AA ads a lot more weight and dimension compared to dopamine.

Nice thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2017
  19. prog_trance_enthusiast

Hello everyone again! I hope I find you in great winter mood :):):)

I am working on main parts of the new track. Stepped few levels above the last one, building up on everything I learned during the first project.

It is progressive trance track, 140bpm (you will realize why when you hear). However, new problem occured. I noticed many nowdays track last 5-7 minutes, with pre-main and main part starting at 1:45 or 2 minutes or later. Is it good????? I mean, I find boring just to spin some variations and build up for two minutes, just to reach climax which lasts for 1 minute or less, then stops and then followed by another minute and a half of cooldown...

In this track I have main part, which repeats with adding some different synth and pad layers. I also have another almost main part with some repearing melody and rhythm. I know I need quiet parts - I got one, longer one. I will not post my mix now, but does anyone have an opinion on this??? Is it wrong to start as soon as possible with almost main part, then go with quiet part, which slowly introduces main melody, then transition it to main melody with complete tracks, full main part, repeat it with adding layers, and then do another quiet part, or almost main part or main part??? wtf... Help needed!! :) Thank you.

20. No Avenger

That's a matter of taste and there's no rule for that. If you think that doesn't fit to your track and you find it boring, let it be. No one likes to listen to a boring intro.
    If you've build up an arc [bow?] of suspense you're finding interesting, well, that's fine. There's nothing like a "you have to stick to A, B, C, A, A, C, D-part" rule