Need help with the mix, last restort - completely stuck :)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by prog_trance_enthusiast, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Satai

Satai Rock Star

He's talking about having a sidechained comp after the reverb on the return, Avengie. Sounds great.

2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

there it is again [​IMG]

that's advanced stuff. Not bad for someone who doesn't know how to put a send fx.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. prog_trance_enthusiast

prog_trance_enthusiast Ultrasonic

Hahahhahaha ok ok ok. I was spiraling into the black hole when you asked the question :) Again asked myself - Am I Crazy? This night is going to be exciting again. Grrr, I didnt know what to thing for a moment. :) :)

I set the master chain according to spencers preference. Now I can set sends and returns thanks to no avenger, satai and mozee help. Yess. Yess. Yess.

And regarding this: that's advanced stuff. Not bad for someone who doesn't know how to put a send fx. Well, during these five days I was forced to go through thousands of lines of texts and hundreds of videos, and sidechained reverb came up, and I recognized the effect from edm I listen :) Thats all. I said before, I learn fast and I will be able to use and understand, just give me time. I am here to stay and contribute the best way I can.

But please do understand this. Please take a look at these two 3D renders of interiors, where everything is modeled from scratch, then done in 3ds max and vray, and then post processed in photoshop and sent to client in 36 hours. Now imagine you sent me some nice, but unpolished drawing, and you need to transfer it to 3D. Like I needed to transfer melody to daw. And I start giving instructions not to target weld close vertices, if you didnt set weld treshold to low value, that your shaders need glosiness map, but in fresnel slot, where fresnel value not exceeding 2.3 for wood, and that photometric lights need to have area shadows on for vray shadows, with radius of 4-8 cm, with soft shadows enabled. Not to mention mastering phase for audio which is like - Irradiance map should not have high density for higher resolutions, but light cache should have 2000 samples for each shot, with world scale set to 0.1 and so on :) Thats what Im going through for 5 days.

My latest work for some clients:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Plz make a 3D Spencer from his sketch within 36hours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Peanuts, I do this all with Paint [​IMG]

6. prog_trance_enthusiast

Hehehhehehe i love him. Maybe I will 3D him lol! He is going to give me more hard time tomorrow, i know, but im prepared. Doing pushups at the moment.

7. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

K sorry had to write some music for the 4 bar loop and do the encoding.

Didn't really know how to explain in type. Levels are higher than I would usually use, but for quick and dirty it will have to do.

Viemo encoding is what took the longest.

I hope this makes sense.

Off to sit in rush hour traffic for a while, cheers.

P.S.

FX Sends are grouped on the right
    ---- sorry I was going fast and made some typing errors as usual. Glad I watched this before Ieft. I'll fix it later though this is kind of a one time use video, but better to have things proper. --- leaving now.
    Fixed*

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

Hey Guys the reason you put a reverb on a bus and send to it is to do with CPU.
    A reverb takes a lot of CPU and if you want to have the same reverb on multiple instruments it makes perfect sense.
    Example Cellos, Violas and Violin channels would al be sent to the same reverb bus. It would be pointless with 14 string channels if they all had their own reverb.
    It would be a nightmare to control and the CPU would be so high your DAW would stop.

I hope a lot of people are watching silently and getting great information on mixing.
    It would be nice to know if this is value to many people not just the 4 or 5 involved.
    Spencer

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. prog_trance_enthusiast

Well, you guys are doing your best to help. This is the point of mixing/mastering help section. I also hope lot of people are watching, since this is, literally, everything from start to finish, with lot of incredible tips alone the way, rounded with progress mixes from day to day.

Thx for the video mozee! Wow!

@spencer - will post new mix later. I will use three buses for three reverbs, since I need one chain on reverb bus for strings and the other of guitar.

10. prog_trance_enthusiast

Hello again :) I set master chain exactly per instructions.

Not sure about Pro MB. Screenshoot of the bussiest part of track below. I just created default preset with two bands, moved crossover to 70hz, and then lowered left band for 3db and the right for 1.5db.

I added half note delay to bus track as shown on screenshot.

• Created bus track for guitar and used only toraverb on that bus. No fx after toraverb on bus. Maybe I overdid with send knob - the amount of toraverb on guitar, but thats on purpose, so you can hear better whats going on.
    • Created bus track for strings and used toraverb plus compression with kick sidechain (different sidechain settings from strings themselves)
    • Created bus track for vocals and put only reverberate there. No fx after reverberate on bus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. spencer26

First Guitar solo way too loud.
    Everything sort of working.
    Double level of snare fills.
    Way more vibrato on Cello and i cant hear the 1/2 note delay.
    Bring up output level of the Low of the Multiband Compressor by 1.5 db.
    The auto ducking of the strings gives me the shits but that is your creative choice.
    lets hear that.
    Spencer

12. spencer26

Actually that ducking kills the emotion of the track and makes it sound really cheap.

13. spencer26

Add a new band to the sides of the MS Filter as per screen capture.

Revised MS Filter.jpg

14. prog_trance_enthusiast

On it now.

Snare fills before major sections. I thought they were too loud. When I double levels, they are way tooooo loud.
    Increased vibrato to strongest setting in kontakt. Also, increased send level and delay is more audible now.
    Increased output level of the low by 1.5.
    Maybe I can decrease auto ducking, but I really want it. Uploading.

Reexporting with new pro q settings.

15. spencer26

Insert Satin between Output of SSL and Input of Limiter with these settings...

Satin.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  16. spencer26

The Auto ducking SUCKS BIG TIME

17. spencer26

The speed of the Vibrato on the Cello is too slow. Double it.

18. prog_trance_enthusiast

I increased vibrato, in cello GUI. Did not find and option to change its speed. Although I planned to add some dynamics and expression to cello, using midi controller. I think satin overdid something here. Maybe input and output level.

19. spencer26

Still not hearing Cello delay should be nearly as loud as main Cello.
    Snare still too soft.
    There has to be a vibrato speed option on the Kontakt Cello.

20. prog_trance_enthusiast

It is cello nocturne. When I fully increase send knob for delay, cello sounds very different. You mean full send knob to full wet delay? Uploading first part when cello plays. Listen to snare now before cello, fill in. Its way too load, and I increased for 4 db only.

Cello send knob turned all the way to delay on bus full wet.